Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transfer from British Army to ADF

Transfer from British Army to ADF

Old Oct 23rd 2016, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer from British Army to ADF

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've never understood this desire to serve in another nation's military

What happen's if there's war? Are you prepared to die for their cause?

On enlistment into the ADF you swear allegiance to the same Queen you swear allegiance to in the British Forces.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 6:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
On enlistment into the ADF you swear allegiance to the same Queen you swear allegiance to in the British Forces.
Sure, but you would be serving in the military of a different, sovereign nation - on the other side of the world, with a different foreign policy, military scenarios, alliances etc

What if we become a republic? There's a very real chance that we could

I personally don't get it

The UK military is the worst culprit. They have thousands of people from other nations serving - Why? Surely they can fill the ranks with their own people?

When does a foreign soldier become a mercenary (and I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case with Australia and the UK)?
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on other countries but once you become an Australian citizen there's no question of being a mercenary.

Each to their own I guess. It's been a great decision for us
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 1:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Can't comment on other countries but once you become an Australian citizen there's no question of being a mercenary.

Each to their own I guess. It's been a great decision for us
Fair enough but I actually went to war and even got some trigger time - something that I would do for no other nation - unless we were directly attacked

I've also never looked at the military as just a job or a career - I don't think you can have a normal job that entails killing as part of the 'job' description! But then I guess the glossy brochures don't really advertise that little fact - although the majority in the modern military are REMFs and will never have to get involved

Like you say, each to their own
Old Oct 24th 2016, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fair enough but I actually went to war and even got some trigger time - something that I would do for no other nation - unless we were directly attacked

I've also never looked at the military as just a job or a career - I don't think you can have a normal job that entails killing as part of the 'job' description! But then I guess the glossy brochures don't really advertise that little fact - although the majority in the modern military are REMFs and will never have to get involved

Like you say, each to their own
I get what you are saying. But I think that people that transfer with the army are not doing it because they want to serve a different country, but simply that they fancy living somewhere else and want a visa.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Not all people! We were initially coming to Australia on my skills, however joining the ADF gave my partner the ability to continue doing a job he loves and that he is good at. Once he hit 40 the British Forces deemed him too old to continue whereas the ADF welcomed his skill and experience. If we were only after a visa there were easier ways of getting one!
Old Apr 1st 2017, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Glenwatt86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Would really like as much information as possible, served 15 yrs so far in R-Sigs, and myself and my family are about to start the process off for OLT, we did start the process a couple of years ago but due to circumstances we put the whole lot on hold. So please can I get as much info as possible from anyone willing to help. From the process to family actually settling out there, as that is my main reason due to hanging them out to dry for the past numerous years and need to start being a husband and a dad again.