Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Transatlantic Flight to LAX then onto Brisbane?

Transatlantic Flight to LAX then onto Brisbane?

Old Jun 14th 2010, 9:22 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transatlantic Flight to LAX then onto Brisbane?

Need of bit of advice,

What is the best airline? I want to fly from Heathrow, or Manchester, or Brum, TO LAX, stay for say a month in the US, then fly onto Brisbane.

One way, i do not want a return flight.

The thing is i want 40 kg bag allowance, as i am not shipping items, any suggestions? Cost, airline, best time to fly etc?

Cheers Keith
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Transatlantic Flight to LAX then onto Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Need of bit of advice,

What is the best airline? I want to fly from Heathrow, or Manchester, or Brum, TO LAX, stay for say a month in the US, then fly onto Brisbane.

One way, i do not want a return flight.

The thing is i want 40 kg bag allowance, as i am not shipping items, any suggestions? Cost, airline, best time to fly etc?

Cheers Keith
Hi KM

We did this kind of thing - in fact we flew London-Miami-Cancun-Los Angeles-Hawaii-Melbourne. We were able to buy a Qantas ticket, but we never flew on a Qantas plane as every single flight was a code share. First BA, then AA, then Mexicana, then AA again, then Jetstar. It took 6 weeks and was a fantastic trip. And of course flying round that way you get a much bigger luggage allowance.

These days I think Virgin fly from Australia to LA so you might be able to use them as an option. Another option is Air Pacific, which fly from LA to Brisbane via Fiji.

Good luck

BB
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:33 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transatlantic Flight to LAX then onto Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi KM

We did this kind of thing - in fact we flew London-Miami-Cancun-Los Angeles-Hawaii-Melbourne. We were able to buy a Qantas ticket, but we never flew on a Qantas plane as every single flight was a code share. First BA, then AA, then Mexicana, then AA again, then Jetstar. It took 6 weeks and was a fantastic trip. And of course flying round that way you get a much bigger luggage allowance.

These days I think Virgin fly from Australia to LA so you might be able to use them as an option. Another option is Air Pacific, which fly from LA to Brisbane via Fiji.

Good luck

BB

Buzz,

I did not want to PM you, so thought see if i can entice you into a public statement, helps not just me but all!!! I knew you had gone this route before, so thanks!!!!!!!!

Buzz cheers mate!!!!!

Keith
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:39 pm
Banned

Gonna try and spend some time with my lad, been a sh!t dad, so maybe put things right?

Was looking at Singapore, but no luck, could do with a fly drive and hotel package for four weeks in the US really?

Any suggestions?

Keith
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:38 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We flew that way round for the luggage allowance and flew Air New Zealand. Nice enough flight and 45KG luggage allowance that we used all of!
Flights were a bit more expensive, but it was worth it.
Virgin Atlantic also do this route, but I think that they only go into Sydney, but I could be wrong.

HTH
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Air NZ mate. LHR to LAX direct. Then LAX to Auckland and onward to Australia.

Best seats in economy by far with more room than most airlines. Highly recommend them. You get the US baggage allowance which is huge.

Don't do Virgin because its Virgin Atlantic to LAX then V Australia to Brisbane and although they code share its a bit of hit and miss. Air NZ economy is much better.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Centurion
Air NZ mate. LHR to LAX direct. Then LAX to Auckland and onward to Australia.

Best seats in economy by far with more room than most airlines. Highly recommend them. You get the US baggage allowance which is huge.

Don't do Virgin because its Virgin Atlantic to LAX then V Australia to Brisbane and although they code share its a bit of hit and miss. Air NZ economy is much better.

Originally Posted by alipally
We flew that way round for the luggage allowance and flew Air New Zealand. Nice enough flight and 45KG luggage allowance that we used all of!
Flights were a bit more expensive, but it was worth it.
Virgin Atlantic also do this route, but I think that they only go into Sydney, but I could be wrong.

HTH

Well guys and girls, cheers.

Air New Zealand it is, 45 kg, now thats good news, will need no shipping, will take a look and see how it goes.

Keith
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:36 am
Banned

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Transatlantic Flight to LAX then onto Brisbane?-untitled1.jpg  
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Thoughts?
My thoughts: Ouch! It's really expensive flying via LAX and you're better off paying an excess baggage courier to ship the additional 20Kgs?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys and girls, cheers.

Air New Zealand it is, 45 kg, now thats good news, will need no shipping, will take a look and see how it goes.

Keith
I believe that Air New Zealand have changed the policy and economy class is 23kgs whatever route you are on. Changed in May.

If you are on a "works deluxe fare" you get an extra bag. I have no idea what a "works deluxe fare" is, it doesn't say.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/new-b...across-network

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 15th 2010 at 6:54 am. Reason: add link
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

Keith,

have you checked BA? We are looking at them (depending what happens with strikes!)

You can pre book an extra case for only £32 and one way tix are about £600 that's via singapore or thailand.

We should be off Sept now baby born as long as wife's visa doesn't take too long!!!

Additional bags, which take you over your free allowance
Charges per additional bag up to 23kg (51lbs)
International
(including Algiers and Tripoli) European and UK Domestic
Number of bags At the airport Online At the airport Online
1st additional bag £40 per bag £32 per bag £35 per bag £28 per bag
Further additional bags £90 per bag £72 per bag
Departing from the US
1st additional bag $60 per bag $48 per bag $50 per bag $40 per bag
Further additional bags

Source: http://www.britishairways.com/travel...=searchResults

Last edited by MrCro; Jun 15th 2010 at 10:49 am.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Transatlantic Flight to LAX then onto Brisbane?

Originally Posted by MrCro
Keith,

have you checked BA? We are looking at them (depending what happens with strikes!)

You can pre book an extra case for only £32 and one way tix are about £600 that's via singapore or thailand.

We should be off Sept now baby born as long as wife's visa doesn't take too long!!!
Mate, he wants to travel via LA which BA don't fly except via code share.

BB
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

A few years ago now, I went Manchester, London, New York, San Franscisco, Sydney with United...............in 36 hours.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I believe that Air New Zealand have changed the policy and economy class is 23kgs whatever route you are on. Changed in May.

If you are on a "works deluxe fare" you get an extra bag. I have no idea what a "works deluxe fare" is, it doesn't say.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/new-b...across-network
Ummmmmmmm i am in the dark stuff, i need;

Two suitcase allowance, so 45kg.

Then a direct flight to LAX

Then a flight from LAX to Brisbane.

Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:10 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Ummmmmmmm i am in the dark stuff, i need;

Two suitcase allowance, so 45kg.

Then a direct flight to LAX

Then a flight from LAX to Brisbane.

Check with Air NZ. Even if they have implemented the new baggage policy you can pay $50 for an extra bag I believe which isn't the end of the world.

It's the best choice of airline for that routing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.