Reload this Page >

obtaining a trade licence in Queensland

obtaining a trade licence in Queensland

Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

abranch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default obtaining a trade licence in Queensland

Hi,
We all hope as a family to move to the Queensland area.
My hubbie a builder is in the process of obtaining his AQF111 in Solid plastering so we can apply for the pathway E.
My husband does eventually want to work for hims self after working for someone in Oz and I am a little confused with the procedure of obtaining a license to do this.
He mostly does alot of refurbishing work, tiling, plastering etc. I understand from looking from the Queensland site that you can only do jobs for 3,300 otherwise you have to have a license. With the AQF111 certficate in plastering what would he need to gained the license to work on his own doing domestic work. Also would he have to
gained Australian qualifications for tiling and carpentry as well to do this work on his own?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

ali2go2qld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: obtaining a trade licence in Queensland

Originally Posted by abranch
Hi,
My hubbie a builder is in the process of obtaining his AQF111 in Solid plastering so we can apply for the pathway E.
My husband does eventually want to work for hims self after working for someone in Oz and I am a little confused with the procedure of obtaining a license to do this.
He mostly does alot of refurbishing work, tiling, plastering etc. I understand from looking from the Queensland site that you can only do jobs for 3,300 otherwise you have to have a license. With the AQF111 certficate in plastering what would he need to gained the license to work on his own doing domestic work. Also would he have to
gained Australian qualifications for tiling and carpentry as well to do this work on his own?
Many thanks
Hi

Im moving to Queensland in September.Im a plumber but i have my NVQ level 2 which means Im qualified in the UK but I can only get a provisional licence in Queensland which means I can only work for someone as they do not see me as a Fully licence plumber so i would go on a year course when I get there to convert my Qualification into an oz one then i could get a full licence which means I can work for myself.I think a buider would be something simlar.

The best thing to do is Contact the Master Builders of Queensland and builders licence board.These both have websites and they can advise you on what you can apply for.

Hope this helps.

Where are you going to in queensland?

Ali
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abranch
Hi,
Many thanks
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/BuildersCo...formation.aspx

start here guys
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

When your husband arrives and has settled in google Master Builders.

What ever path he takes he will have to obtain a blue card which is a safety card which proves he has done his safety course. It is approximately 4 hour long course which is very straight forward and you cant fail. This can be done through Master Builders who conduct a very thorough training course. When other posters read this you will get many suggestions for doing it online and other shorter courses but the bottom line is that the cost is all very similar but the Master Builders is thorough and ultimately will be better and more informative for your husband.

The next step which can also be arranged through Master builders and is a thorough course is a 2 day BMC or business management course, anyone wishing to run their own business has to complete a 2 day BMC course. It takes you through running your own jobs, invoicing, tax issuses, contractual issues etc. I did this course through Master Builders and the 2 instructors were both excellent, a fully quallified guy for the 1st day to take you through the job running side and an accountant 2nd day to take you through the paperwork side. All very easy and fool proof.

Next step is your qualifications, if your husbands qualifications are Australian recognised you can then apply for a BSA licence through the BSA itself. Building Services Australia = BSA. There are BSA offices all over the place and its easy to walk in and talk face to face rather than trying to plough through websites and read stuff that doesnt really apply to you.

If his qualifications are not recognised then Master
Builders will put him onto a company that will give him Australian recognised qualifications. This is government funded and only cost me $165 for each class that I wanted to get a licence in. I did 2 classes so $330.00. Through Master Builders I was put onto a company called ACTS or Australian Construction Training Services. They were very helpful, relaxed and once again you cant really fail as they train you in any aspects missing from your original skills or training.

This all sounds like hard work but to be honest is was quite easy and if ever you start to think what a pain in the arse just remember that all Australians have already had to do this and it has to be done.

To work for someone else in the industry all you need is the blue card to get started and everything else can be done as and when you get the time. I opted to do it all straight away as all my references used to obtain TRA were all current and were used to prove most of my training and skills.

Most tradies I have worked with over here are not actually qualified, dont have licences and just work for other contractors much the same as you will be used to in the UK and can still work on price and earn pretty good money.

For the record I am a fibrous plasterer and shopfitter, known in the UK as ceiling fixer/partitioner or interior fit out.

Best of luck with everything, its worth the hardwork.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, they don't make it easy for you do they!!!

Hope your hubby can sort it all out!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

In relation to the blue card -
It is possible to complete this course on line , many companys do it the main being bluedog training.

It may also be worth gaining a white card rather than a blue card as this allows you to work in other states should the need arise.

Good luck with everything, they sure like making you jump through hoops in QLD.

Cal x
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

abranch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your reply's which were very useful and will help my hubbie when we get to OZ.
We are planning to come when my son finishes school which will probably be under 2 years depending when all our visa's go through etc and we may have to validate before we move out.
Alot to take in but we will look into everything and hopefully get it all sorted.
Looking at areas near to commute to Brisbane as I will be hopefully working in the city at the hospital working in Theatre's. So probably we look around the northern suburbs renting first then buying. How is the work situation for Trades at the moment are things picking up etc as my hubbie would work for someone first tiling or plastering depending in what is available until later when he could work for himself when he has all his licensing.