Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trains are so cheap!

Trains are so cheap!

Old Dec 12th 2013, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trains are so cheap!

I've literally just got on a Mt Victoria train to go to Katoomba for the day and it's $11.00 return! Madness. What is that in pounds around £7?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
I've literally just got on a Mt Victoria train to go to Katoomba for the day and it's $11.00 return! Madness. What is that in pounds around £7?
Closer to 6 with the current exchange rates
Old Dec 13th 2013, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Closer to 6 with the current exchange rates
if I use a purchasing power eqn that was applicable the price drops further...

essentially it seems that rail is subsidizing the cost of my annual Christmas box of Roses...

'5 pound' in the UK...$25 here? A big fat fail for chocolates in Melbourne in BigW...
I don't yet earn 5x my Gbp wage.
its more like 2x...
Old Dec 13th 2013, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
Great value mate...and even better, they are hardly ever delayed or cancelled because of leafs on the line

Last edited by Hino; Dec 13th 2013 at 2:23 am.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:16 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Great value mate...and even better, they are hardly ever delayed or cancelled because of leafs on the line
God no, not up the mountains... they're more likely to be cancelled because of landslides, lightning strikes and bushfires.

Nothing jessie here!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
God no, not up the mountains... they're more likely to be cancelled because of landslides, lightning strikes and bushfires.

Nothing jessie here!
If my trains late because of a landslide then fair enough, if it's cancelled because of bush fires, then it's only to be expected......but a leaf on the track...gimme a break
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If my trains late because of a landslide then fair enough, if it's cancelled because of bush fires, then it's only to be expected......but a leaf on the track...gimme a break
Showing your ignorance again...leaves on the line is actually a serious safety issue in heavily forested countries including most of Europe and Ameica.

In Australia the same issues have been caused by caterpillars and other insects
Old Dec 13th 2013, 11:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It's about $4 for an all day weekend ticket in Melbourne. Great value for a family outing in the city and the kids love the train and tram rides.

BB
According to the stage government it's unsustainable though and is about to rise to $6...still decent value.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
According to the stage government it's unsustainable though and is about to rise to $6...still decent value.
so I see!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

leaves on the line 101 : the leaves get squished and end up forming an insulating and slippery barrier between tha rail and wheel. This results in a loss of traction and potentially in the signaller 'losing' a train. the second bit is really bad. I'm not talking about the wrong type of snow though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ain-crash.html

right here in Perth

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Dec 13th 2013 at 9:42 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling
Showing your ignorance again...leaves on the line is actually a serious safety issue in heavily forested countries including most of Europe and Ameica.

In Australia the same issues have been caused by caterpillars and other insects

Oh I'm ignorant all right mate...I don't even know where "Ameica" is
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm ignorant all right mate...I don't even know where "Ameica" is
So you don't have an answer....simply pick up on the spelling

So a few bugs can cause havoc with trains in Australia but you want to criticise the UK over a worldwide railway problem with leaves.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
And not the first time either

But that would not suit Hino's agenda
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
So you don't have an answer....simply pick up on the spelling

So a few bugs can cause havoc with trains in Australia but you want to criticise the UK over a worldwide railway problem with leaves.
bit defensive are we?

Leaves are an issue!! People always think their network is bad..
I think the poster was a bit tounge in cheek...

generations of Brits laugh about leaves on the line...
it must surely be a joke in any other area where leaves are an issue...

Australia probably has less deciduous trees..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Dec 13th 2013 at 10:37 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
bit defensive are we?

Leaves are an issue!!

Seems like bugs are as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.