Trains......

Old Aug 4th 2003, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trains......

Don't think anyone has posted this one yet, so here goes for another silly thread!
For the non-technical people amongst us, could someone explain why Australian trains can run when its hot, but British ones can't. Are the rails made of something different or what??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3120805.stm
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:24 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trains......

Originally posted by Pollyana
Don't think anyone has posted this one yet, so here goes for another silly thread!
For the non-technical people amongst us, could someone explain why Australian trains can run when its hot, but British ones can't. Are the rails made of something different or what??

In winter the contract too much, in summer they expand too much, in autumn they get leaves on and in spring time there are just too many rabbits.

I sat on a train for 3/4 hr longer than i should of on my way home tonight, and its normally 40 mins on the train for me. Twice as long as it should have sitting in a sardine tin with lots of smelly commuters, including me.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And to think that when the Bloke first talked of visiting the UK he said to me, don't worry about getting a car, we can go round everywhere by train....... oh the innocence!!

Do you remember the week they came out with the excuse "its the wrong kind of snow"........
Old Aug 4th 2003, 11:49 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

You dream away but try this , most Australians want no more refugees/immo's.

Wake up to real world

WA GOVERNOR Lt-Gen. John Sanderson, on the invitation of well-known republican Janet Holmes aà Court to address a Day of Ideas forum, has again criticised the Australian people for their attitude to refugees. It was only last month he launched an attack on this very same issue.

According to the latest report (1/8), accompanied by a touching picture of him gazing out the window with his hand at his heart, the speakers at this forum consisted of academics, republicans, politicians, elitists and others of the chattering classes. Interestingly, it coincided with the visit of Prime Minister John Howard.

If Lt-Gen. Sanderson took a trip to some shopping centres in our working-class suburbs and sought the opinions of a variety of people regarding the never-ending tax and rate increases they're being subjected to, with levies slapped on everything under the sun, he would get a mighty wake-up call.

People everywhere are greatly concerned about the water crisis, threats of power cuts, the spiralling cost of housing, as well as the lengthy waiting lists for beds in our public hospitals. They are also well aware that the people who enter Australia without any form of identification receive free and instantaneous medical and dental treatment, with welfare payments.

It is ironic that they are called "refugees", when according to UNHCR, a "refugee" seeks asylum at the first safe haven. The people who came to Australia on the boats had bypassed several such destinations before arriving here.

The Governor can afford to be "expansive and embracing", unlike those who fund his lifestyle.
GRAEME CAMPBELL, Kalgoorlie.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:01 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by PeteY

I sat on a train for 3/4 hr longer than i should of on my way home tonight, and its normally 40 mins on the train for me. Twice as long as it should have sitting in a sardine tin with lots of smelly commuters, including me.
I know, on a hot day, when you could do with a nice breeze coming through the windows, they slow the buggers down. I wouldn't be surprised in the air conditioning breaks tomorrow and they start blowing hot air.

Anyway Pete, I spent my afternoon in the pool with a few cold beers, so what am I moaning about!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:08 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister
I know, on a hot day, when you could do with a nice breeze coming through the windows, they slow the buggers down. I wouldn't be surprised in the air conditioning breaks tomorrow and they start blowing hot air.

Anyway Pete, I spent my afternoon in the pool with a few cold beers, so what am I moaning about!
A pool in the UK this is a worry the bloody place is getting as bad as Australia , only different is better jobs and less tax in the UK.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
A pool in the UK this is a worry the bloody place is getting as bad as Australia , only different is better jobs and less tax in the UK.

Shouldn't be a worry, according to one of your previous posts pools are common nowadays in Surburban houses in the UK.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:21 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Shouldn't be a worry, according to one of your previous posts pools are common nowadays in Surburban houses in the UK.
Them Brits are far to cashed , never mind a few years in Australia is a great leveler.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:43 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by SteveBannister

Gee thanks Steve, you really know how to get me up and ready for work in the morning !!!

I've got tomorrow off though, and its meant to be the hottest day so i should be in for a pleaseant time of it.

Hav'nt got a pool though.....might have to go join the goldfish and lilypads up in the pond
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:31 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by PeteY
Gee thanks Steve, you really know how to get me up and ready for work in the morning !!!

I've got tomorrow off though, and its meant to be the hottest day so i should be in for a pleaseant time of it.

Hav'nt got a pool though.....might have to go join the goldfish and lilypads up in the pond
Rubber ring and a can of beer. That's all you need!
Attached Thumbnails Trains......-simp1.jpg  
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve - you're one fit muscley guy and very courageous to post your pic!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:42 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Steve - you're one fit muscley guy and very courageous to post your pic!
As you can see, I've lost a bit of weight. I'm down to a 'B'-cup now!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:58 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah but what about the 'mountain in the middle'!?
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:56 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Yeah but what about the 'mountain in the middle'!?
Somewhere to stand the beer can obviously!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 6:20 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

If it was hot in the uk all the time there would'nt be a problem. It's not so much the heat its the variation in temp which causes the problem with exp & contraction rates too rapid.

We've still got crap trains tho, so why bother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.