Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Training to be a teacher UK or OZ?

Training to be a teacher UK or OZ?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training to be a teacher UK or OZ?

Here, we have worked in International school that has schools worldwide.
Australian qualifications were recognised the same as UK teachers. So she would still be able to travel the world or return to the UK.
Australia is still recognised in the UK and Overseas.

Gems
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. She is still considering the best move and what she should do.

If she stays in the UK she will have to live in on campus which could be another cost. If she come here, she lives with us and hence no accommodation fees
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Thanks everyone. She is still considering the best move and what she should do.

If she stays in the UK she will have to live in on campus which could be another cost. If she come here, she lives with us and hence no accommodation fees
just thought I'd mention this as our son is going to uni here, diff subj. It seems as permanent residents he does not qualify for HECS (student loans)until we are citizens so has to pay each years fees up front( or 80% of them) .haven't got all details yet but trying to sort it all out at mo. so will update you as we find out more. can anyone else help me out with this, don't want to hijack your post,Scrawni but it might apply to your daughter as well.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I did my final year of teacher trianing here after starting my PGCE in the UK but not completing it due to galavanting off around the world. I had to pay my fees up front but think that it was a small price to pay for the advantages that studying here has given me. I have had full time work since leaving the course and would be OK to go back to the Uk should I ever want to teach there. For me it was a no brainer. We live in Australia and want to stay here so why study in another country when I can study in the country that I want to live and work in. I understand the system here better and haven't had to get my head around the differences between here and the UK once I started work. I am a local when applying for work (this makes a huge difference in a small town like where we live).
It really comes down to where your daughter wants to be if she wants to work and live here then she should probably make the most of having a PR visa while she has it. This may not be as easy once she has finished her UK course as you really don't ever know how immigration will change.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

quayley is an unknown quantity at this point

I trained in Australia and have worked in the UK for the last 13 years starting as a supply and working through to management. I agree that a degree at a good UK uni will hold you in good stead in certain countries.

My advice would be to do the 4 year degee in Australia and as soon as she arrives in the UK apply for Qualified Teaching Status QTS (all UK trained teachers need this and overseas trained teacher need this after working for 4 years-new regulations last september) By doing this she will have the best of both worlds-status in Australia and UK. In regards to the QTS she can work while doing this

My children maybe in the same situation as they hold dual passports.

(SNIP)
quayley

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 28th 2009 at 4:12 pm. Reason: No advertising in the forums please