Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Training to be a teacher UK or OZ?

Training to be a teacher UK or OZ?

Old Jan 21st 2009, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Training to be a teacher UK or OZ?

Our daughter who is in the uk wishes to train as a teacher but she is unsure whether to train there or here in Queensland. What do you think? She has PR visa (which runs out in march so she need to get here quick).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training to be a teacher UK or OZ?

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Our daughter who is in the uk wishes to train as a teacher but she is unsure whether to train there or here in Queensland. What do you think? She has PR visa (which runs out in march so she need to get here quick).

I would definately say do it here. If she has the visa then it would mean that she could get the teaching qual and start work straight away plus the qual if transferable to the UK shoujld she want to return.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It will cost her more to do it here. Probably about $4000 pa for the 4 years and as PR that will have to be paid up front each semester unless she already has a degree in which case it would be a one year post grad cert.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks at Griffith on the GC it does say about $4000 per year. Could anyone tell me how much it would cost in the UK?

I want her to do what is best for her at the end of the day so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks at Griffith on the GC it does say about $4000 per year. Could anyone tell me how much it would cost in the UK?

I want her to do what is best for her at the end of the day so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I suppose the question is where she wants to live and work. If it is Aus. and she only has until March, I would go for the Australian uni. After all, $4000 is around 2000 pounds and I doubt if it would be much cheaper than that over there.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeh, that was my thinking also but in the UK I think it is only 3 years of training and not not 4.

Question is, which offers the best training?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, that was my thinking also but in the UK I think it is only 3 years of training and not not 4.

To work in Australia, NSW anyway, you need 4 years. So if she wants to work here I would go the Australian route.

Should have added apart from 4 year qualification gained overseas I think that she would have to have some teaching experience before she qualified for a visa.
Also, I know of a number of Aussie trained teachers who have walked into jobs in England.
Gee, how much editing can one do?!

Last edited by Gibbo; Jan 22nd 2009 at 9:44 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand, if you train in QLD you can get lots of points compared to little me who will have nada with my British Quals. That means she will get a better pick of the jobs........
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

be careful, Oz will only accept a four year teaching degree. I've been through all this myself.if you do the 3 yr degree in UK you have to do a years post grad course here in OZ to be able to teach.When i graduated 2007, the following years students were looking at course fees of £3k per annum
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Do it there.

I reckon UK-trained teachers are more valuable in a global sense. i.e. she will have better currency for worldwide jobs - especiallly if she goes to a good university.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Do it there.

I reckon UK-trained teachers are more valuable in a global sense. i.e. she will have better currency for worldwide jobs - especiallly if she goes to a good university.
My opionion is different to yours. Australian qualifications are recognised World wide. I also have to point out there is no such thing as a Uk trained teacher. There are Scottish trained, England/Welsh trained and suspect also Northern Ireland trained. I know from experience it does make a difference.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Do it in England.

Trust me. I've worked in England, internationally and in Australia.

You'll have more global currency.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK. Do it in England.

Trust me. I've worked in England, internationally and in Australia.

You'll have more global currency.
I've done that too,mine are Scots, but know from my sons' qualifications that Australian qualifications are accepted World wide. Will admit their quals. are not in teaching.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

sciencemonitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to echo the other replies - a 4 year teaching qualification is required for Oz, not 3 - make sure that she does a degree plus PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) and not a GTP (Graduate Teacher Program), as the GTP is not accepted in NSW and I have heard is not accepted in other states, too.

Depends on where she finally wants to teach - suggest training in the country that she wishes to teach in, then convert later.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Do it there.

I'm with you!

Also there are bursaries and all sorts of support for UK students from what I can gather which she wouldnt be able to access here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.