Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Training to be a nurse in Australia

Training to be a nurse in Australia

Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Training to be a nurse in Australia

I have been wondering about retraining to be a nurse in Adelaide. I have had a cursory look at courses etc and was wondering if somebody could give me some basic information on the way things work in Australia.

From what I have read, I assume that rather than working whilst studying, the Australian method is to study before working. Does this mean completing a degree course??

What is the basic entry level for a nurse?? Can you start working after (for example) a six month course???

Sorry for my ignorance. I think I am approaching it from the wrong angle somehow...
Old Feb 8th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training to be a nurse in Australia

Training to be a registered nurse is a minimum of a three year bachelor degree course. The courses are a mix between academic work and clinical. You go on short clinical placements usually from the end of the first year, but not as much time is spent on clinical as in the UK for eg. It is then customary (but not compulsory) to go on a graduate programme of 12 months where you get mentored.

You could train as an enrolled nurse for 12 months at a TAFE, however the enrolled nurse role is quite restricted compared to the RN. All depends what you like and want to do.

Check out the nursing forum on this site for more info
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kitty.

I think you just reiterated the conclusions I had come to after a quick read of a few sites.

Unfortunately we will be on a temporary visa and will have to pay international fees, so I was looking for a method of studying whilst working.

It was just a germ of an idea and as I already have a degree and a couple of post graduate degrees, I don't know if I could do another 4 years either....

Training to be an enrolled nurse might be a goer though....
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:45 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Thanks Kitty.

I think you just reiterated the conclusions I had come to after a quick read of a few sites.

Unfortunately we will be on a temporary visa and will have to pay international fees, so I was looking for a method of studying whilst working.

It was just a germ of an idea and as I already have a degree and a couple of post graduate degrees, I don't know if I could do another 4 years either....

Training to be an enrolled nurse might be a goer though....
If you already have a degree,you only have to do 12 months training and you can qualify as an RN.The degree can be in any other field.Sounds crazy to me but it's good for you.My wife is a clinical nurse educator,it doesn't sit too well with her but as I said could be good news for you.Best of luck.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukecadet
If you already have a degree,you only have to do 12 months training and you can qualify as an RN.The degree can be in any other field.Sounds crazy to me but it's good for you.My wife is a clinical nurse educator,it doesn't sit too well with her but as I said could be good news for you.Best of luck.
Thanks for that!! I hadn't found that out!! I assumed that as my degree is in another subject it would count for nothing...

I will get Googling now!!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:13 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if thats true. If you have done a degree in the past 10 years you can do the nursing degree in 2 years (graduate entry).
My wife is starting her degree this month doing just that

Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
Not sure if thats true. If you have done a degree in the past 10 years you can do the nursing degree in 2 years (graduate entry).
My wife is starting her degree this month doing just that
That's in Victoria.
My wife allocates placements for students on a major trauma unit in Melbourne.I'll double check when she gets home
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:26 am

Update for you from the Missus.
The course is through Melbourne Uni.If your degree is recognised in Aus you have to do 12 months course/training then you will graduate with a master's in nursing.Your existing degree doesn't have to be related to nursing in anyway whatsoever.As far as she is aware ,at this point in time it's only Melbourne Uni doing this particular program .
Just saw that your heading for Adelaide.Sorry to get your hopes up.You could always come here instead.

Last edited by ukecadet; Feb 9th 2009 at 6:32 am.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I have been wondering about retraining to be a nurse in Adelaide. I have had a cursory look at courses etc and was wondering if somebody could give me some basic information on the way things work in Australia.

From what I have read, I assume that rather than working whilst studying, the Australian method is to study before working. Does this mean completing a degree course??

What is the basic entry level for a nurse?? Can you start working after (for example) a six month course???

Sorry for my ignorance. I think I am approaching it from the wrong angle somehow...

PM S/Nurse, she will know or will be able to help you find out.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:33 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Would be a lot to learn in a year. And Melbourne is a hell of a commute

The course is through Melbourne Uni.If your degree is recognised in Aus you have to do 12 months course/training then you will graduate with a master's in nursing.Your existing degree doesn't have to be related to nursing in anyway whatsoever.As far as she is aware ,at this point in time it's only Melbourne Uni doing this particular program .
Just saw that your heading for Adelaide.Sorry to get your hopes up.You could always come here instead.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:40 am

I think I found it online. It looks like you have to have done some human biology before, so you would need a really degree, a degree in Klingon might not cut it

"An approved undergraduate degree including successful completion of at least one tertiary-level unit of study in human biology or equivalent area of study"

That's in Victoria.
My wife allocates placements for students on a major trauma unit in Melbourne.I'll double check when she gets home
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think I found it online. It looks like you have to have done some human biology before, so you would need a really degree, a degree in Klingon might not cut it

"An approved undergraduate degree including successful completion of at least one tertiary-level unit of study in human biology or equivalent area of study"
Apologies, its a 2 year course. Klingon might meet the grade (which Uni. has this on its curriculum!). If not, as long as you have a recognised degree IN ANY DISCIPLINE ie I have worked alongside a horticulturalist in 2008, who will have a Masters degree in nursing within 2 years from The University of Melbourne. It took me 3 years undergrad. plus 1 year post grad. plus another year Masters (a total of 5 years study whilst nursing). I know this to be correct because my job is to co-ordinate the clinical placements for these guys at a major metro hospital in Melbourne. So, for the OP, dont give up hope just be prepared to do 2 years.

The following has been taken directly from the University web site. It is for GRADUATE entry only. Recognition is given for previous university study.it is accepted that you already know how to write assignments, research, etc.
Lieutenant Warf is now going to the holodeck.

"Master of Nursing Science"
The Master of Nursing Science is a professional masters degree that is exceptional preparation for your nursing career. The Master of Nursing Science (MNSc) is the only masters degree in Victoria accredited for Division 1 Nursing by the Nurses Board of Victoria (NBV). The MNSc recognises the nature of contemporary health care delivery in light of the impact of rapidly changing medical and information technologies, consumer demand and government economic and health policies. It offers graduates considering a nursing career a higher level degree with enhanced learning outcomes while meeting the requirements for nursing registration.

Duration
The MNSc is a 225-credit-point coursework degree. This two-year degree comprises five semesters of study, including a seven week summer semester. The degree is intensive and accelerates your nursing career, allowing you to complete in two years rather than the three years that is usually required for a Bachelor of Nursing degree.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:12 am
Just Joined

janewi is an unknown quantity at this point

hi hope you can help
do you know what the mitcham hospital is like in melbourne as we are coming out in march to see the place. I am a theate nurse have been since 1989 and a midwife now for 7 years, i have been offered a midwifery position there and am hoping it lives up to all they say, could you please help with any further information i also have my BSE in midwifery. hope i have posted this thread ok ,i am new to this.
thanks Jane

Last edited by janewi; Feb 9th 2009 at 9:16 am.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by janewi
hi do you know what the mitcham hospital is like as we are comming out in march and i am a nurse and a midwife and have been offered a midwifery position there, hope i have posted this thread ok ,i am new to this.
thanks Jane
sorry can't help you with that one ,wife works in city.There's loads of work so don't worry about signing into a contract unless that is a prerequisite to get out here.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:19 am
Just Joined

janewi is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Training to be a nurse in Australia

sorry can't help you with that one ,wife works in city.There's loads of work so don't worry about signing into a contract unless that is a prerequisite to get out here.
yes it would be as need the visa thanks anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.