Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trainee solicitor wishing to work in NZ

Trainee solicitor wishing to work in NZ

Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Johanne C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trainee solicitor wishing to work in NZ

Hi - my husband and I are desperate to start a new life in New Zealand and after years of study we believe that this is the right time for us to make the move. Is there anyone out there that is an ex English lawyer who can advise me on what steps I have to take to be able to practice in NZ? We also want some advice on where to aim for, we are desperate to escape the UK weather (4" of snow outside my door at the mo) and so want to move to North Island somewhere relatively constant and warm - any recommendations?

Look forward to hearing from you
Johanne x
Old Jan 28th 2004, 7:13 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trainee solicitor wishing to work in NZ

Originally posted by Johanne C
We also want some advice on where to aim for, we are desperate to escape the UK weather (4" of snow outside my door at the mo) and so want to move to North Island somewhere relatively constant and warm - any recommendations?

Johanne x
I'd avoid Wellington then as the weather is worse than the UK - talk about changeable....we needed heaters indoors during December and January .... summer? Pah!

Nice areas where there seemed to be some form of life were New Plymouth, Napier/Hastings and Tauranga. Auckland is ok, but it's just like any other city...

regards, Rich.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Johanne C
Hi - my husband and I are desperate to start a new life in New Zealand and after years of study we believe that this is the right time for us to make the move. Is there anyone out there that is an ex English lawyer who can advise me on what steps I have to take to be able to practice in NZ? We also want some advice on where to aim for, we are desperate to escape the UK weather (4" of snow outside my door at the mo) and so want to move to North Island somewhere relatively constant and warm - any recommendations?

Johanne x
hi there
do you know www.rollonfriday.com - it has a particularly active discussion forum for lawyers - not all of them City either - there are a few antipodeans there. Bung a post on there and see what you get. I haven't been on there in a while but I remember there were some Oz lawyers so there may be some kiwis too.

Best of luck

K_K
Old Jan 28th 2004, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

koala_mac is an unknown quantity at this point

by the way, when I say "active", the last thing they discuss is the law. As long as you're not a dork, they might help you out.

K_M
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm living on the North Shore just outside Auckland and it's great - near enough to the city if you need to work, but more like a holiday place as you've got endless beaches and little towns, with bars and restaurants to keep you happy! Been here two months and haven't looked back!

Weather wise it is a bit mixed in Auckland, can get very humid, temperatures seem to be fairly consistent in the low to mid 20s, can rain a lot too especially in the winter I'm told.

Other good places on the North Island I believe are Tauranga - fast growing, good beaches etc, and also the east coast - Napier etc.

Get out of the UK, it's fantastic in New Zealand! can't help having to pinch myself all the time!

Donna
Old Jan 29th 2004, 2:28 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Try here:

http://nzls.co.uk/emi.htm

It is a website for UK lawyers who want to emmigrate to NZ

Good luck
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:00 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Nice areas where there seemed to be some form of life were New Plymouth, Napier/Hastings and Tauranga. Auckland is ok, but it's just like any other city...
regards, Rich.
As Donna said, North Shore is OK part of AKL and a bit further afield, Warkworth has got fantastic coastline a few kms away and is just an hour to AKL with a few minutes coming off that when the motorway extends.

Nice summer weather - Bay of Plenty, Hawkes Bay.

Warm weather all year but wet - AKL, Northland.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Johanne C is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, thanks guys - loads of ideas, all gratefully received - keep them coming. I have posted a message on rollonfriday and awaiting a reply, the other law site doesn't seem to have been updated in a couple of years but I will keep trying.
Many thanks - will keep an eye on this site from now on!
Best wishes
Johanne x