Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Train Driving in OZ ?

Train Driving in OZ ?

Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Fog on the Tyne is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Train Driving in OZ ?

Hi everyone,this is all new to me so please bear with me if i start rambling, I am a geordie train driver & we are at the 'just thinking about it stage', after breifly looking through the various visa's i realise that my 'trade' is'nt included in the skilled section . My question is does anyone think i would stand a chance of sorting any train driving work out from over here or would the only chance of that be to be over there doing the legwork or would i just have to get used to using the phrase'would you like fries with that sir' to make any $$$. Idealy i think we would be intrested in the Perth area as a possible place to settle as it sounds like it would be great for familys & you seem to get better deals on property. Anyone with any experience or ideas or advice on the subject it would be great to hear from you Also are there any more families from the Newcastle area contemplating or actualy doing this or are we on our own :scared: Great site by the way, very very useful thanks everyone. Andy,Tracey & Sam (4)
Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:47 pm
blossom

Default Re: Train Driving in OZ ?

Originally Posted by Fog on the Tyne
Hi everyone,this is all new to me so please bear with me if i start rambling, I am a geordie train driver & we are at the 'just thinking about it stage', after breifly looking through the various visa's i realise that my 'trade' is'nt included in the skilled section . My question is does anyone think i would stand a chance of sorting any train driving work out from over here or would the only chance of that be to be over there doing the legwork or would i just have to get used to using the phrase'would you like fries with that sir' to make any $$$. Idealy i think we would be intrested in the Perth area as a possible place to settle as it sounds like it would be great for familys & you seem to get better deals on property. Anyone with any experience or ideas or advice on the subject it would be great to hear from you Also are there any more families from the Newcastle area contemplating or actualy doing this or are we on our own :scared: Great site by the way, very very useful thanks everyone. Andy,Tracey & Sam (4)
Perhaps you would get more information if you wrote to the State Rail Authority of WA, they should be able to provide you with information on employment.

Good Luck
Blossom

Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blossom
Perhaps you would get more information if you wrote to the State Rail Authority of WA, they should be able to provide you with information on employment.

Good Luck
Blossom
thanks for that blossom i will that a try
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:00 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya, I got to tell ya im a train driver too in Lincoln and ive got two hopes of getting out on that trade and one of them is BOB! i am having to re-train in my old RAF trade of chef and im getting sposored by family too, this seems the only way for us to get out. good luck with your search, give us a shout if ya have any luck.

Nev.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by redlion
Hiya, I got to tell ya im a train driver too in Lincoln and ive got two hopes of getting out on that trade and one of them is BOB! i am having to re-train in my old RAF trade of chef and im getting sposored by family too, this seems the only way for us to get out. good luck with your search, give us a shout if ya have any luck.

Nev.
well thanks for that nev although it does'nt sound too promising on the train driving front i'm afraid the only thing i can fall back on is the fact that i used to be a lifeguard before the trains, but something tells me that they are'nt exactly struggling on that front either!!! oh well back to the drawing board
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney city rail needs drivers but they will probably make you retrain. The situation here is rediculous.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:43 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Looked into this for a friend, train driver isnt on the sol lists so we thought it wasn't possible, but have been told that if he is willing to work on the trains out Kalgoorlie WA on the mines they would sponsor him to come over. He would have to do it for 2 years but sometimes relocation fees are paid and housing sorted. We are looking into this more for him and will let you know what he finds out.

Jenny
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:03 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jensteve
Looked into this for a friend, train driver isnt on the sol lists so we thought it wasn't possible, but have been told that if he is willing to work on the trains out Kalgoorlie WA on the mines they would sponsor him to come over. He would have to do it for 2 years but sometimes relocation fees are paid and housing sorted. We are looking into this more for him and will let you know what he finds out.

Jenny
The train drivers round here are very happy fellows, The freight train line runs out the back of the backpackers and on a drunken night they often get an eyefull of backpackers baring there chests for them.

Aparently it happens all up the line.

Kala
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JayDeee
The train drivers round here are very happy fellows, The freight train line runs out the back of the backpackers and on a drunken night they often get an eyefull of backpackers baring there chests for them.

Aparently it happens all up the line.

Kala
Great stuff i'm going to draft out my begging letter to the freight company right now !!!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:16 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Hi, I'm also a Train Driver(from Milton Keynes) I have done a little bit of research into jobs in Oz & the consenus I got was to try & get a job when you go over. I have also heard about the Jobs working up in Pilbarra(WA) but I didn't come across any Job Offers while I was resarching. These are based in Perth I think & you fly out to Pilbarra for two weeks then come back for two weeks, money is about $au110 grand. Admittedly I have layed off the whole Oz thing the last couple of months.

I keep getting told they are desperate for Train drivers in Oz especially CityRail(Sydney) but talking to some of the CityRail drivers they say the company treats them like Sh*t, hence the shortage!

I am starting to do a bit of research again so I can post useful stuff if you like,

Cheers,
Effy.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Effys
Hi, I'm also a Train Driver(from Milton Keynes) I have done a little bit of research into jobs in Oz & the consenus I got was to try & get a job when you go over. I have also heard about the Jobs working up in Pilbarra(WA) but I didn't come across any Job Offers while I was resarching. These are based in Perth I think & you fly out to Pilbarra for two weeks then come back for two weeks, money is about $au110 grand. Admittedly I have layed off the whole Oz thing the last couple of months.

I keep getting told they are desperate for Train drivers in Oz especially CityRail(Sydney) but talking to some of the CityRail drivers they say the company treats them like Sh*t, hence the shortage!

I am starting to do a bit of research again so I can post useful stuff if you like,

Cheers,
Effy.
Hi Effy, thanks for that i'd given up hope on hearing from anyone else on the subject, i too had heard about the shortages on the trains in a couple of cities,you'd think they would just ship a load of us out there to ease the problem would'nt you? (sorry just dreaming)
I think you're right about the fact that you need to be out there to stand any chance of getting a job on the trains, but how the hell do you get out there if thats the only thing you're really qualified to do....catch 22 i think !
That job in Pilbara sounds fantastic, i'v had a look at my little book & see that there are open cast iron ore pits there....what a job man ,2weeks work & 2 weeks chilling in Perth....sounds good to me but i would think they would'nt have any bother filling those positions on that wage.
It would be great if you could send me any more info you might have either by PM or on here.
Have you got any other means of getting over there ie. different skill or relations or your wife being a nurse or are you stuffed like me.Anyway good luck & thanks for the reply

cheers Andy
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:55 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Hi Andy,

As you say we are stuffed trying to get out there on our own skills, I've been driving for 25 years & it don't count for nout skill wise! I am slightly fortunate though as my wife is a Hairdresser/Lecturer so we are trying to go on her skills, but there are problems there as well as they wont class her as a proper hairdresser even though she teaches hairdresing!

It cant be that different driving an Oz train to driving a UK train surely, I know there might be a bit of re-training involved but then isn't there in a majority of jobs. It was roumored sometime last year that Train Drivers were going to be put on the 'demand list' but still nothing has materialised & until then all we can do is dream!

I will sort some stuff out Some, old adverts & the like & send them to you.
Cheers, Chris Effy.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Effys
Hi Andy,

As you say we are stuffed trying to get out there on our own skills, I've been driving for 25 years & it don't count for nout skill wise! I am slightly fortunate though as my wife is a Hairdresser/Lecturer so we are trying to go on her skills, but there are problems there as well as they wont class her as a proper hairdresser even though she teaches hairdresing!

It cant be that different driving an Oz train to driving a UK train surely, I know there might be a bit of re-training involved but then isn't there in a majority of jobs. It was roumored sometime last year that Train Drivers were going to be put on the 'demand list' but still nothing has materialised & until then all we can do is dream!

I will sort some stuff out Some, old adverts & the like & send them to you.
Cheers, Chris Effy.
Is'nt that crazy about you're wife, you would think she would be top of the list for haidressers would'nt you !
I did'nt know about the fact that they were considering putting train drivers on the 'wanted' list, that would be great though we'll just keep our fingers crossed.You're dead right about some re-training who does'nt but its all safety critical work is'nt it..My wife says the only way she would go over there would be if she did'nt have to work & just look after the kids (sound familiar anyone ?), so she's no use for any points. I am considering starting to re-train as a nurse anyway...nah just kidding ......but if things get desperate you never know
Thanks in advance for the stuff you are sending me,
Cheers Chris
Andy
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:53 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

Hi Andy, have sent you a PM. Here are some useful links to start with:

TransAdelaide

Connex Australia

Australian Railroad Group (ARG)

Pacific National formerly know as National Rail

CityRail

CountryLink

Public Transport Authority of Western Australia (PTA)

Queensland Rail (QR)

I haven't checked them for a few months but they should be alright. Most sites will have a 'Job Vacancy' list where you can check for any Train Driver vacancies.

Cheers, Chris Effy.