Wikiposts

Trafalgar Day

Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trafalgar Day Non Skippy Thread

BTW - a straw poll of 20 16 year old 'non skippies' (to use your term) found that they have no clue what it is, when it was, what it was! One managed to say it was a square in London but didn't know why it was so named.

I then had to explain 1815, Wellington, Napoleon, Belgium and all that but it didn't ring a bell until Abba's song was mentioned:

Trafalgar

My my, at Trafalgar Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Trafalgar - I was defeated, you won the war
Trafalgar - Promise to love you for ever more
Trafalgar - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Trafalgar - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Trafalgar - Finally facing my Trafalgar
etc

Sorry to 'extract the urine' but your thread title invites it.

OzTennis
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:16 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trafalgar Day

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think these two may even be the same person - a carefully run survey by a couple of posters this afternoon established that only one of them was online at a time.......though no doubt they will find a way round that tomorrow!

Young_lad, thanks for telling me all that, but have you ever come across the word "sarcasm"? and I'm not yet, though will be soon when the runs out.

As for Gease - I'm only half English, the other half of me is Welsh
which half, cymraes bach?. ........................anyway going to bed, which should send hearts a flutter over in WA, keep punching boys ykwim
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:19 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sludger
How are you going to celebrate the day

No aussies please
I'm not. Why would I?

I never did while I lived in the UK, so why the f### would I start now?

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS. I do, however, now celebrate the Queen's birthday as this enlightened country gives us all a day off
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:19 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
BTW - a straw poll of 20 16 year old 'non skippies' (to use your term) found that they have no clue what it is, when it was, what it was! One managed to say it was a square in London but didn't know why it was so named.

I then had to explain 1815, Wellington, Napoleon, Belgium and all that but it didn't ring a bell until Abba's song was mentioned:

Trafalgar

My my, at Trafalgar Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Trafalgar - I was defeated, you won the war
Trafalgar - Promise to love you for ever more
Trafalgar - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Trafalgar - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Trafalgar - Finally facing my Trafalgar
etc

Sorry to 'extract the urine' but your thread title invites it.

OzTennis
OzT!!!! And I just posted in the other thread saying how none of us skippies had even bothered to post. Bad man LOL.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
which half, cymraes bach?. ........................anyway going to bed, which should send hearts a flutter over in WA, keep punching boys ykwim
The best half of course!!

I am a little confused by the expression "feeding strawberries to pigs" - do pigs even like strawberries? Answer in 500 words or less.......Good topic for tomorrows insane thread..........
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:35 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The best half of course!!

I am a little confused by the expression "feeding strawberries to pigs" - do pigs even like strawberries? Answer in 500 words or less.......Good topic for tomorrows insane thread..........
I think they were forced to change their diet due to the lack of affordable lettuce.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I think they were forced to change their diet due to the lack of affordable lettuce.
Now, c'mon, by mentioning the price of lettuce you are bringing us back to reality and the harsh woes of life in Australia. We haven't discussed lettuce for a while, I hope all the newbies are aware of its price?

However, I'll worry about that tomorrow, off to bed now, though I probably can;t sleep as I have the theme tune to an annoying Aussie tv show going round my head "skippy, skippy,.........." ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:21 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont know why I'd bother to celebrate that or St George's day since neither day is really commemorated in the UK.

Cant understand why on earth I'd want to celebrate just cos I didnt live in the Uk anymore....
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Gease is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
Sadly, probably not..............I'm sometimes tempted to send these sort of posts to aussie friends, but that would just subject the good pomms(99.9%) to flak so I don't........

I still think these two are well known under other usernames, no doubt about it
So that’s what it’s all about you are worried that your Aussie friends may think you are not good pomm

Well I'm sure you can feel safe in bed tonight that they all think you are.

As far as being well known, no I assure you that I have never been here before May. I am surprised by some of the responses however; I love living here and have many fine Australian born mates, which may have a different version of what a “good pomme “actually is.
Because I wanted to celebrate an occasion in our heritage, does that makes me a naughty one, so be it. Would an Aussie not celebrate ANZAC day because he or she lived in England. I think not.

All the best, good night good pomm.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:28 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gease
So that’s what it’s all about you are worried that your Aussie friends may think you are not good pomm

Well I'm sure you can feel safe in bed tonight that they all think you are.

As far as being well known, no I assure you that I have never been here before May. I am surprised by some of the responses however; I love living here and have many fine Australian born mates, which may have a different version of what a “good pomme “actually is.
Because I wanted to celebrate an occasion in our heritage, does that makes me a naughty one, so be it. Would an Aussie not celebrate ANZAC day because he or she lived in England. I think not.

All the best, good night good pomm.
If that is the truth and you are just trying to enlighten us on what trafalgar day is then may suggest you are wasting your time. you just talk like someone who is very bored and trying a wind up. maybe you need to work on your people skills a bit more.
i know, go and practice with nelson
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:28 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gease
Would an Aussie not celebrate ANZAC day because he or she lived in England. I think not.

Sorry but I dont know that many people in the UK who celebrate Traflagar Day, so cant understand why they'd want to celebrate because they live elsewhere.

Still each to their own I guess...
Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:44 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice

Lordy, lordy... laughed so hard I nearly peed

Me - I've never heard of Trafalgar Day, but I reckon as long as it's between consenting adults you celebrate what and how you like...

This is slightly off-thread, and I may be starting something I shall regret, but there have been a number of threads in the past while, where the view has been expressed, or alluded to, that I may have been here (in this case Aus) for 50 years, I'm English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish/Hungarian (whatever) through and through....

Now, while I am too much of a coward to have an opinion on this, IF I DID, that opinion might be that while I think it is important for people to respect their roots.......... I can't help thinking that if they were here (UK) there would be an avalanche of people accusing them of not assimilating.... who'd'ya support in the cricket then (omg - have I really just quoted Norman Tebbit???? :scared: ) THIS IS NOT A PARTICULAR REFERENCE TO ANYONE IN THIS THREAD, IT'S JUST THAT SOME COMMENTS GOT ME THINKING...

See where this insanity has brought me....

p.s. special thanks to pollyanna - "norman, norman, norman the bush kangaroo" will stay with me always!x

off to hide now
Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:47 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by bridiej
Dont know why I'd bother to celebrate that or St George's day since neither day is really commemorated in the UK.

Cant understand why on earth I'd want to celebrate just cos I didnt live in the Uk anymore....
Ditto???

Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:53 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

floss these threads have been going on all day.
confused the bugger out me i can tell ya.
couldn't actually make out what gees and slugger (not thier real names i know) were trying to get at. i had never heard of trafalgar day either. i used to be ingorant and happy
Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:53 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Sorry but I dont know that many people in the UK who celebrate Traflagar Day, so cant understand why they'd want to celebrate because they live elsewhere.

Still each to their own I guess...
I think it`s only really being celebrated this year because it`s the 200th Anniversary (members of the RN however do have Trafalgar and Pickle nights every year though in memory of Nelson & Trafalgar)(any excuse for a p*ss up)Loads of stuff going on in Portsmouth at the end of June, wouldn`t have thought Oz would be bothered about celebrating it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.