Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Traditional grub?

Traditional grub?

Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Traditional grub?

One of my sons loves the Aussie meat pie with the tomato sauce that as been put in the pie via the nozel being inserted into the middle of the pie and squirted in. He tells me this is great and with beer better. Ughhh!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:40 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That's nothing. My wife wanted to make a chicken mask for one of the kids who was appearing as a chicken (not surprisingly) in a play.

She put "Chicken Mask" into Google and hasn't recovered yet
I think I'll remain ignorant about chicken masks...

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
You could get it in London. It was a cheaper rougher version of White Diamond.

Rougher? How?!

Thank goodness they invented bacardi breezers and smirnoff ices etc for Gen Y.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Bugs are fantastic uuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think bugs are called after whatever area they are from - Moreton Bay are obvious. I can't remember what they are called down in Sydney but I know it's something - if that makes sense

And totally beside the point, as far as I know, the France's national dish is not snails and frogs legs - probably a cassoulet but anyway like I said not important.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 27th 2007 at 9:04 am.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chels
I've just done a search on the evil crap I used to drink - White Diamond! Never came across White Lightening - was the distribution limited to northern England?

Uggh, my stomach's churning at the memory - much like it used to do every week at the student union bar after 10 bottles of cat's piss
God, that takes me back. Used to drink bottles of the stuff when I lived in England in my early twenties Remember one particular night when I found some keys in the toilet of the local pub, handed them in the bar man and realised much later (too late ) that they were my own bloody keys.... that's what Diamond White does to a girl..............

Getting back to the OP - best thing for dessert here is anything from The Cheesecake Shop.....
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:04 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bugs are fantastic uuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think bugs are called after whatever area they are from - Moreton Bay are obvious. I can't remember what they are called down in Sydney but I know it's something - if that makes sense
Balmain bugs
Old Apr 27th 2007, 11:26 am
Chris

tscw1 will become famous soon enough

traditional Aussie Tucker is burgers with pineapple, egg and beetroot with Tim Tams for afters.

I'll also go on record to say a Penguin would kick sand in the face of a Tim Tam!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Rougher? How?!

Thank goodness they invented bacardi breezers and smirnoff ices etc for Gen Y.
Don't know but they managed it.

Old Apr 27th 2007, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
God, that takes me back. Used to drink bottles of the stuff when I lived in England in my early twenties Remember one particular night when I found some keys in the toilet of the local pub, handed them in the bar man and realised much later (too late ) that they were my own bloody keys.... that's what Diamond White does to a girl..............

Getting back to the OP - best thing for dessert here is anything from The Cheesecake Shop.....
I'm from Brum and we had White Lightening there - drank only when in my teens as it was v. v. cheeep. Other favourites were Thunderbirds and Mad dog/20 20 (or whatever it was called).

When I was around 20 I had a sense of nostalgia so thought I'd try a White lightening to remind myself - it was rank.

Sad to say, but years later whilst working for the youth service I still came across people drinking thunderbirds etc. - why? barcardi breezers are so much nicer!

Last edited by dottyspots; Apr 27th 2007 at 1:16 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Joolz will become famous soon enough

First time I tried Moreton Bay bugs i wasn't a big fan of seafood and wasn't really too impressed - I've started eating a lot more of it lately so will have to give it another go when I get there!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:56 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

surely witchety grubs are the traditional Oz food, that and Kangaroo!!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

layla950 will become famous soon enoughlayla950 will become famous soon enough

Balmain bugs
Are they sort of like Squat Lobsters you get here in UK?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Ding Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really niceDing Dong is just really nice

Chels...
Great menu but what was half of it????
Hard Jubes and Pluto pups???? I thought they was slang for womens breasts
Old Apr 28th 2007, 1:17 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Ding Dong
Chels...
A pluto pup (also known as a dagwood dog)

Old Apr 28th 2007, 1:38 am
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by Ding Dong
Chels...
Hard jubes - they're jelly sweets, coated in sugar, a bit like fruit pastilles but harder.

Chiko rolls - never had one but I think they're an aussie version of spring rolls that is battered and fried a zillion times:

Fairy bread - sliced white bread, with a thin layer of margarine covered with sprinkles (100s and 1000s). Traditionally served at children's parties.

Cheese kranskys - a polish meat sausage with cheese in it. The kransky has its own website:
http://www.kransky.com/

Cabanossi - a pork and beef dry sausage similar to salami, eaten cold and often offered alongside cubes of Tasty cheese (similar to cheddar)

Fredo frogs - popular chocolate confectionary often sold as part of fundraising drives along with Caramello Koalas.

Chooks - chickens

Pav - pavola, huge meringue concoction smothered in whipped cream and usually fruit, but if you're really unlucky, mint chocolate flake bars crumbled up over it (they were cheapskate hosts)

Anzac biscuits - oat biscuits, come in both hard and soft and chewy versions. When I made the mistake of calling the soft version a 'flapjack' I was laughed at by my Australian colleagues and called an ignorant pom (well, not quite but I may as well have been).

Re Balmain bugs - not sure if they're like squat lobsters - I'm not a fan of bugs so I avoid eating them. They're the Sydney equivalent of Moreton Bay bugs.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:43 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

I think fairy bread originally came from Holland. When I was living there it was the only thing that had more than 2 choices in the supermarket. That means it must have been part of the cloggies staple diet! It it also eaten as a traditional celebration for the birth of a child (a cloggy version of the cigars perhaps). Blue coloured sprinkles for a boy, pink for a girl.

About the bugs, my mate told me that when he was growing up in QLD, so about 35 years ago, bugs were hardly eaten, and the fishermen viewed them as a pest. Pretty standard on any seafood platter, I quite like them personally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.