Reload this Page >

Trading UK shares once in Aus

Trading UK shares once in Aus

Old May 10th 2005, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Amaru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trading UK shares once in Aus

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience trading UK shares once they become resident in Aus? The company I used in the UK can't trade unless you live in the UK. Has anyone had any experience with UK brokers who let you set up an account with an Australian address? What's the process if you have paper shares and a UK bank account?

Cheers
Old May 10th 2005, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trading UK shares once in Aus

Try this firm Killik & Co . They traded shares for me whilst resident in NZ. No problems. They now have an online trading system but when I was with them it was all done over the phone.

If you use them I'd strongly recommend you DON'T give them tradeing authority. Listen to their advise by all means but they have a reputation for generating income for themselves by buy and selling shares unneccessary (if youv'e given them trading authority).

There commission was reasonable and they only charged about 5 pounds for holding each stock per year.
Old May 10th 2005, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Amaru is an unknown quantity at this point

How does the system work.

Can you register an account from your Aus address?
Do you post them the share certificate prior to dealing and they hold it on your behalf, or do you send it once you've traded?

Also, once the trade has gone through can they put the funds into your UK bank account?

Cheers.
Old May 10th 2005, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amaru
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience trading UK shares once they become resident in Aus? The company I used in the UK can't trade unless you live in the UK. Has anyone had any experience with UK brokers who let you set up an account with an Australian address? What's the process if you have paper shares and a UK bank account?

Cheers
I use Barclays Stockbrokers http://www.stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk/ (The old Charles Schwab) to trade UK equities - they are fine with haveing an aussie address. The only pain is that I can't deposit cash into the account online and have to phone up to do it. This is because they want a UK postcode entered to autofill the address fields - entering 2234 didn't work !
Old May 11th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amaru
How does the system work.

Can you register an account from your Aus address?
Do you post them the share certificate prior to dealing and they hold it on your behalf, or do you send it once you've traded?

Also, once the trade has gone through can they put the funds into your UK bank account?

Cheers.
I transferred to them from NZ (when Barclays Share Trading closed down), they hold all your share certificates and any dividend is put in a bank account in your name, but controlled by Killik. They buy and sell (stock they held on your behalf) when you tell them too. Money goes into the said bank account.

You have to phone them to get them to transfer from your bank account held by them to your nominated account at your own bank.