Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tradies, what are you aiming to do when you first arrive?

View Poll Results: what's your work plans?
Straight into the trade i had in the UK
75.00%
Doing anything and training to australian standards
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Tradies, what are you aiming to do when you first arrive?

Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:14 pm

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tradies, what are you aiming to do when you first arrive?

As per title.

Are you planning on going straight into a job similar to what you had in the UK or are you going to do anything and train to Aussie standards in your trade whilst applying for jobs in your trade?

I was planning on getting an oh&s greencard and doing a bit of labouring (or whatevers going) whilst doing some courses for the first few years to bring me up to aussie standards and to back up my uk qualifications.

I'm a qualified corgi registered gas fitter, also qualified welder fabricator and have 10 years work experience as a fitter (engines, hydraulics, water, gas systems etc all on boats).
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tradies, what are you aiming to do when you first arrive?

Originally Posted by Bello
As per title.

Are you planning on going straight into a job similar to what you had in the UK or are you going to do anything and train to Aussie standards in your trade whilst applying for jobs in your trade?

I was planning on getting an oh&s greencard and doing a bit of labouring (or whatevers going) whilst doing some courses for the first few years to bring me up to aussie standards and to back up my uk qualifications.

I'm a qualified corgi registered gas fitter, also qualified welder fabricator and have 10 years work experience as a fitter (engines, hydraulics, water, gas systems etc all on boats).
Hi there i am going to chill out for a month then when my hands are soft and gentle i will go back to work
on a more serriouse note will consider going back to collage for six months to get up too scratch ( im a sparky)
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bello
As per title.

My OH is a diesel fitter but can turn his hand to welding although no formal qualifications all on the job training. He also has his ticket to drive most heavy construction machinery. I guess he'll take what ever he can, not sure if you can go straight into welding without certificates though.
Kerry
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 7:57 pm
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

We both hope we don't have to do our trade, although it's well paid, we would like to buy some sort of holiday park business eventually.

WV