Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tradies - did you line up a job before you left UK

Tradies - did you line up a job before you left UK

Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:43 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Tradies - did you line up a job before you left UK

Just wondering if many people did this.

Dale's under the impression that no company is going to be interested in hearing from him until he's in Oz, I thought it would be useful to start contacting companies now. He tells me that's not how the building trade works though

We're planning on being over there before the end of the year and having a job lined up ready would take a massive strain off the move.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this please
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tradies - did you line up a job before you left UK

Originally Posted by Clippies

Dale's under the impression that no company is going to be interested in hearing from him until he's in Oz, I thought it would be useful to start contacting companies now. He tells me that's not how the building trade works though

We're planning on being over there before the end of the year and having a job lined up ready would take a massive strain off the move.

They might not be interested before you get here, but there's no harm in trying.

I'd say to put down on applications when you will be arriving though as that may just swing something as opposed to them not knowing when you are coming, they may presume you want sponsoring.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:47 am
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

just wait untill you get over i got my first job within 1 week by 3 weeks was on my 3rd job. didn't like the other 2 and pay was not great.

lew
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:49 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
They might not be interested before you get here, but there's no harm in trying.

I'd say to put down on applications when you will be arriving though as that may just swing something as opposed to them not knowing when you are coming, they may presume you want sponsoring.
Sometimes wish we'd gone the sponsorship route - would've made things a lot simpler, no worrying about work or changing our minds about where we're going!

Originally Posted by lewandkate
just wait untill you get over i got my first job within 1 week by 3 weeks was on my 3rd job. didn't like the other 2 and pay was not great.

lew

What do you do Lew?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into it , emailed a few places made some contacts, lucky enough to get something lined up in advance.
Also look into what license you'll need.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Get yourself on a few agencies books, look for ads on the internet and email employers.

Send your CV and let them know your plans, I am confident to the point of cocky (foolish I know) that I will get a job of sorts pretty quick, I have a list of employers I have corresponded with and all say "come and see us when you get here"

If anything you will build up a list of contacts you can activly go see.

You might at least get "I don't mate but I know a bloke that does"

Good luck and put yourself about
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:13 am
Emily, Luke and Libby

lewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud oflewandkate has much to be proud of

Sometimes wish we'd gone the sponsorship route - would've made things a lot simpler, no worrying about work or changing our minds about where we're going!

What do you do Lew?
Am a carpenter, but working for Granite Transformation now

Lew
Old Jul 26th 2007, 5:16 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We actually got approached by two different companies in Brisbane wanting my trade. (air-con and refrigeration). They e-mail me asking if i wanted work.

I never replied as we were heading for Perth.

Then when i got to Perth, no-one wanted me because i did not have the appropiate licences.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by lewandkate
Am a carpenter, but working for Granite Transformation now

Lew
Same as Dale then, what's Granite Transformation?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We actually got approached by two different companies in Brisbane wanting my trade. (air-con and refrigeration). They e-mail me asking if i wanted work.

I never replied as we were heading for Perth.

Then when i got to Perth, no-one wanted me because i did not have the appropiate licences.

omg!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:01 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby was offered a job before we moved and they actually paid to get us here - including our visa
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Hubby was offered a job before we moved and they actually paid to get us here - including our visa
my god what does he do!?!?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hello there
i have emailed 5 agencys and they have all said to wait until i have settled in perth first.
Dave
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by mad.chef
Hello there
i have emailed 5 agencys and they have all said to wait until i have settled in perth first.
Dave
Thanks Dave
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:10 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

my god what does he do!?!?
Hes an Airframe Fitter. The company were actually advertising his job in a local newspaper so he just applied, and got it!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:14 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

i've been applying for jobs for MrW (as per) and i have about 5 who have said come and see us when u arrive.
obviously we will have the licence saga once we get there but he may get something supervised when we get there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.