Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tradesman jobs in queensland

tradesman jobs in queensland

Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

brushmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink tradesman jobs in queensland

Hi i was talking to my inlaws today who live in sydney and they thought they saw something on the news about wanting tradesman from uk and europe to cope with the building work in queensland,has anybody heard anything about this as myself and my partner was going to go to sydney but if theres more work in queensland we would consider going there instead as she has relations in hervey bay aswel,i am a painter sonot sure if they are ready for painters yet.
look forward to some info
thanks
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tradesman jobs in queensland

There is most definitely going to be high demand for tradies in Queensland. Do you have a visa already?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

redditchcouple is just really niceredditchcouple is just really niceredditchcouple is just really niceredditchcouple is just really niceredditchcouple is just really niceredditchcouple is just really niceredditchcouple is just really niceredditchcouple is just really nice

hi there,
posted for our visa september 2010,our first choice destination to settle from then has been toowoomba,and still is despite the terrible flooding there.I was hoping that diac may speed up applications for people wanting to move to that area and willing to help out..who knows...but i know we would fly out tomorrow if we could. Any new info would be great :-)
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

There will be more demand for tradesmen.

However QLD is already warning victims of the floods to only employ insured, registered, licenced, Tradesmen.

The licence system applies to australians and immigrants.

Most of the money will be from insurance jobs, again they will want the Licence Number to process the paperwork.

Check whats required for your trade.

And understand the licence means you are held legally and financially responsible for every job you do.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:20 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
There will be more demand for tradesmen.

However QLD is already warning victims of the floods to only employ insured, registered, licenced, Tradesmen.

The licence system applies to australians and immigrants.

Most of the money will be from insurance jobs, again they will want the Licence Number to process the paperwork.

Check whats required for your trade.

And understand the licence means you are held legally and financially responsible for every job you do.
Are trades allowed to subcontract to a licensed contractor?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Are trades allowed to subcontract to a licensed contractor?
No, you can work direct for a licenced contractor [if they are prepared to shoulder the burden of any defective work their employees may turn out]. You can't subcontract without the appropriate licence.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
No, you can work direct for a licenced contractor [if they are prepared to shoulder the burden of any defective work their employees may turn out]. You can't subcontract without the appropriate licence.
On the licence front, my mate was saying that his NSW sparkies licences don't transfer to QLD and that he would need to take additional tests to work there.
If that's really the case then its a bit daft.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:34 pm

Thanks.
Now before I go about applying for a licence is that a definite no,are you in the industry?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:37 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
On the licence front, my mate was saying that his NSW sparkies licences don't transfer to QLD and that he would need to take additional tests to work there.
If that's really the case then its a bit daft.
It's bloody stupid red tape mate, exactly the reason it's time to make all qualifications federal. That way anyone can work anywhere .................................................. ......................but wait NO!!!! we'd have hoards of cockroaches moving North to work in the sunshine
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's bloody stupid red tape mate, exactly the reason it's time to make all qualifications federal. That way anyone can work anywhere .................................................. ......................but wait NO!!!! we'd have hoards of cockroaches moving North to work in the sunshine
Hmmm, yes... to "work in the sunshine"

Even more bizarrely, he said that his qualifications did transfer direct to NZ.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Thanks.
Now before I go about applying for a licence is that a definite no,are you in the industry?
Yes, Err No! I'm a licenced contractor. I can employ blokes without licences. I am then responsible for any defective work these guys may do.
I can't sub-contract to a principle without a licence & public liability insurance.
You as an individual could sub-contract to me but not to the general public or a principle. See below for more confusion [direct from the QBSA site]:

Who needs a licence?
An individual or company who wants to carry out, undertake to carry out, or
supervise building work valued at over $3,300 (including labour and materials)
must hold the appropriate licence. Licensees who do not contract with builders or the
public and only contract to trade contractors (ie sub-trade contractors) do not require
a BSA licence. However, if you perform any building work within one of the following
classes, regardless of the value, you must hold the appropriate licence:
❑❑ Plumbing and Drainage
❑❑ Building Design Medium Rise
❑❑ Building Design Low Rise
❑❑ Termite Management - Chemical
❑❑ Completed Residential Building Inspection
❑❑ Fire Protection
❑❑ Gasfitting
❑❑ Site Classifier
❑❑ Building Design Open
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Tradies can register their interest for the Queensland Government's Operation Bounceback here http://au.tv.yahoo.com/sunrise/
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:08 am

Yes, Err No! I'm a licenced contractor. I can employ blokes without licences. I am then responsible for any defective work these guys may do.
I can't sub-contract to a principle without a licence & public liability insurance.
You as an individual could sub-contract to me but not to the general public or a principle. See below for more confusion [direct from the QBSA site]:

Who needs a licence?
An individual or company who wants to carry out, undertake to carry out, or
supervise building work valued at over $3,300 (including labour and materials)
must hold the appropriate licence. Licensees who do not contract with builders or the
public and only contract to trade contractors (ie sub-trade contractors) do not require
a BSA licence. However, if you perform any building work within one of the following
classes, regardless of the value, you must hold the appropriate licence:
❑❑ Plumbing and Drainage
❑❑ Building Design Medium Rise
❑❑ Building Design Low Rise
❑❑ Termite Management - Chemical
❑❑ Completed Residential Building Inspection
❑❑ Fire Protection
❑❑ Gasfitting
❑❑ Site Classifier
❑❑ Building Design Open
So, I have Public liability for 10 mil,cards and all that.In Melbourne I work onsite and bill for labour only + GST can I do that in your Redneck of the woods?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

brushmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: tradesman jobs in queensland

Sending me visa off in the next couple of week as i had a few questions i wasnt sure of so wanted to be 100% on them so the aussies didnt sent it back.thanks for the info,i have my qualifications in painting here and done it since i left school 20 years and self employed 10 years so would want to go down the same route as being self employed,one thing did seem expensive was vans or have i been looking in the wrong place,a 02 berlingo or a holden combo 5-6 thousand dollars!!!!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Lets hope so....though in Brisbane, for example, as a lot of people in the flooded areas would not have been able to get flood insurance. Some will re-paint themselves but you would think a lot would engage a painter to do the job?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.