Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trades Interviews?

Trades Interviews?

Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:28 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Trades Interviews?

Like the thread a little while ago but about trade jobs, what is the norm to go for an interview for a trade job such as a mechanic/technician?? Shirt, shirt tie? Anybody had experiences. Pete
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trades Interviews?

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Like the thread a little while ago but about trade jobs, what is the norm to go for an interview for a trade job such as a mechanic/technician?? Shirt, shirt tie? Anybody had experiences. Pete

My hubby goes smart casual, he usually wears a pair of jeans and a shirt. He's an electrician.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

I went for a job as a mechanical fitter and wore a shirt and tie. They almost pissed themselves laughing. The agency I used sent me for a second interview with a more senior manager and told me to be more casual. The senior manager told me if a tradie comes in wearing a shirt and tie he must be covering how crap he is and should be sent packing.

Yes, I did get the job, been there 6 weeks now and still taking stick about my clobber
Old Sep 13th 2006, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The S's
I went for a job as a mechanical fitter and wore a shirt and tie. They almost pissed themselves laughing. The agency I used sent me for a second interview with a more senior manager and told me to be more casual. The senior manager told me if a tradie comes in wearing a shirt and tie he must be covering how crap he is and should be sent packing.

Yes, I did get the job, been there 6 weeks now and still taking stick about my clobber
Congratulations on getting the job mate,did you find there was much in the way of work for mechanical fitters ?Served my time at the mines (done 13 years in all ) but aint been involved in actual fitting since 1991 so i fancy i may be clutching at straws to think someone may be interested after that long !!!!Any advice much appreciated thanks bobbyftm
Old Sep 13th 2006, 7:25 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks mate, jeans, smart shoes and a casual shirt will do me then! By the way whats your views on forest lake, just noticed you lived there! and have considered that area if we head to the south side. Pete
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Thanks mate, jeans, smart shoes and a casual shirt will do me then! By the way whats your views on forest lake, just noticed you lived there! and have considered that area if we head to the south side. Pete
I don't think it matters what you do as a tradie they are crying out for all skilled people. Its reported Queensland is still short of 38000 skilled workers.
Forest lake is not bad. Worst part of it is that is next to a suburb called Inala :scared: .
Think of the worst council estate in UK and then fill it with all the other oddballs left over and hey presto, Inala
We are looking at moving away when our rental is over and going deeper in land so we can buy acreage, probably around Karalee.
Forest lake is a really large estate with lots of facilities, schools, shops etc. A bit built up but only let down by the neighbours....

Sean
Old Sep 14th 2006, 7:04 pm
brown eyes!

I don't think it matters what you do as a tradie they are crying out for all skilled people. Its reported Queensland is still short of 38000 skilled workers.
Forest lake is not bad. Worst part of it is that is next to a suburb called Inala :scared: .
Think of the worst council estate in UK and then fill it with all the other oddballs left over and hey presto, Inala
We are looking at moving away when our rental is over and going deeper in land so we can buy acreage, probably around Karalee.
Forest lake is a really large estate with lots of facilities, schools, shops etc. A bit built up but only let down by the neighbours....

Sean
Thanks for the advice and yes Inala we know about and thats whats putting us off that area! Will have to see when we arrive. Pete