Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trade or profession recognition / license

Trade or profession recognition / license

Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:37 am
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice
Default Trade or profession recognition / license

For all those people who are having problems with having their qualifications recognised here in Aus. I have found this website (Your gateway to recognition) which should be of interest. This is their aim.
The NARIC network is an initiative of the European Commission and was created in 1984. The network aims at improving academic recognition of diplomas and periods of study in the Member States of the EU, the EEA countries and the associated countries in Central and Eastern Europe and Cyprus.
As I am having issues with Vetasses and the office of (un)fair trading :curse: I have contacted these people to try and find out why Australia does not align or issue equivalant certification (at minimal cost and timescale) to match qualifications from international countries. So far, if you want to be recognised or have a license here, it seems to be just one huge money spinning exercise at present. I can see why they have enforced these rules but I think the Gov. is going the wrong way about the solution. I believe if enough people 'sing and dance' about the problems they are having with getting a trade or qualification recognised, then someone will have to listen. This is a country that is calling out for tradespeople, professionals and medical staff.
May I also suggest contacting the departments responsible for issueing qualifications in your originating country.

Britain- http://www.qca.org.uk/aboutQCA.aspx.
Ireland- http://www.qualificationsrecognition...ion/index.html

No matter what profession you are.
For those of you that would like some heavier reading on this subject, have a look at this.
On Monday 11 September 2006, the Joint Standing Committee on Migration tabled its report on the inquiry into skills recognition, upgrading and licensing 'Negotiating the maze'.
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committe...ion/report.htm

I hope this helps. Best of the New Year to all, Eamon.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

koalasue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade or profession recognition / license

My husband is a skilled Painter and decorator which is on the MODL list and apparently is in huge demand, but because he is 48 he will have trouble getting a visa, he has been told he can go for a 457 sponsored visa, which he is willing to do but no joy yet with a job offer. If Australia is crying out for trades people why are they finding it so hard to get a job?? He also has other skills such as tiling, building and fitting kitchens and bathrooms etc. It seems such a waste of a skill. He just needs someone to give him a chance!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:26 pm
"At Home"

ekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really niceekiec is just really nice

Originally Posted by koalasue
My husband is a skilled Painter and decorator which is on the MODL list and apparently is in huge demand, but because he is 48 he will have trouble getting a visa, he has been told he can go for a 457 sponsored visa, which he is willing to do but no joy yet with a job offer. If Australia is crying out for trades people why are they finding it so hard to get a job?? He also has other skills such as tiling, building and fitting kitchens and bathrooms etc. It seems such a waste of a skill. He just needs someone to give him a chance!
The new licenseing system that was put in place (particularly NSW) was designed to keep out people 'blagging' their way into the country but what it has done is restricted the amount of self employment. It does not mean you cannot get a job in your respective trade but when a builder or employer does not want you he plays the trump card of "you need to be licensed". What is humerous is the rules for trades in Tas, Vic, SA, WA and Queensland are all much less restrictive. Unfortunately, its like the NHS and privatisation, its about more managers and bureaucratic red tape than actual implementation of constructive regulation.
Just keep trying and you may get lucky. Eamon.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ekiec
For all those people who are having problems with having their qualifications recognised here in Aus. I have found this website (Your gateway to recognition) which should be of interest. This is their aim.

As I am having issues with Vetasses and the office of (un)fair trading :curse: I have contacted these people to try and find out why Australia does not align or issue equivalant certification (at minimal cost and timescale) to match qualifications from international countries.
Australia isn't in the EU or the EEA so I can't see what contacting them about it will do

So far, if you want to be recognised or have a license here, it seems to be just one huge money spinning exercise at present. I can see why they have enforced these rules but I think the Gov. is going the wrong way about the solution. I believe if enough people 'sing and dance' about the problems they are having with getting a trade or qualification recognised, then someone will have to listen. This is a country that is calling out for tradespeople, professionals and medical staff.
May I also suggest contacting the departments responsible for issueing qualifications in your originating country.

Britain- http://www.qca.org.uk/aboutQCA.aspx.
Ireland- http://www.qualificationsrecognition...ion/index.html
Again how will contacting someone 12000 miles away help at all?

No matter what profession you are.
For those of you that would like some heavier reading on this subject, have a look at this. http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committe...ion/report.htm

I hope this helps. Best of the New Year to all, Eamon.
Maybe it's these guys you should be talking to

Can I ask, what profession you do and what difficulties you are having, someone may be able to help
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:57 am
"At Home"

Hi wendy, the reason I put the 'gate to recognition' was for information purposes and to assist people. We should all be able to travel with our qualifications to anywhere in the world at this day and age, with the obvious local allignment of codes and skills, and not having to fork out between $2.5k and $6k to do another coarse, wait 6 months before earning for something you have carried out business for the past twenty years.
I was a carpentry trained Builder for twenty years in the Uk.
Contacting the UK or Irish qualification board's might assist for future training and maybe put pressure from 'as you say' 12000 miles away.
These countries have in place reciprocal agreements between them to allow education and training be acknowledged on an equal level. This is where I believe the australian government are not holding up their side of ' international equality'.
I agree , we should also be writing to 'www.aph.... but change will not be made from one or two but by pressure from different agencies. Remember the issues of equal training is a problem interstate as well. Eamon.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wendy, the reason I put the 'gate to recognition' was for information purposes and to assist people. We should all be able to travel with our qualifications to anywhere in the world at this day and age, with the obvious local allignment of codes and skills, and not having to fork out between $2.5k and $6k to do another coarse, wait 6 months before earning for something you have carried out business for the past twenty years.
I was a carpentry trained Builder for twenty years in the Uk.
Contacting the UK or Irish qualification board's might assist for future training and maybe put pressure from 'as you say' 12000 miles away.
These countries have in place reciprocal agreements between them to allow education and training be acknowledged on an equal level. This is where I believe the australian government are not holding up their side of ' international equality'.
I agree , we should also be writing to 'www.aph.... but change will not be made from one or two but by pressure from different agencies. Remember the issues of equal training is a problem interstate as well. Eamon.

Is that how much it has cost you it only cost my OH $880 and that includes the cost of his licence.

I do agree that things need to be made easier for migrants to gain recognition of their prior skills, but I don't think anyone in the UK or EU will give a stuff as you wouldn't be contributing to their economy, so from their prospective why should they make it easier for you to leave.

You need to be tackling it from this end by getting onto local governments and the TRA.

Licencing is a whole seperate issue.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:49 am
"At Home"

Originally Posted by Wendy
Is that how much it has cost you it only cost my OH $880 and that includes the cost of his licence.

I do agree that things need to be made easier for migrants to gain recognition of their prior skills, but I don't think anyone in the UK or EU will give a stuff as you wouldn't be contributing to their economy, so from their prospective why should they make it easier for you to leave.

You need to be tackling it from this end by getting onto local governments and the TRA.

Licencing is a whole seperate issue.
Yes, thats here in NSW, $2.5k for carpentry cert IV and building cert IV $3.5k. Thats with the cheapest "Tafe'. If you go to HIA or MBA or 'BITAD', it gets dearer. Yes, you say licensing is a different issue but at present without a license you can only earn $1000 per invoice including materials. Thats not a very big job, making it very restrictive and also so most builders will not employ a tradesman without his license (even though it is not a requirement, as the builder has his own license)
TRA will not deal with carpentry trades once you are in the country. Only metal and electrical trades. I have got recognition of my trade from Vetasses' ( Dept. of Ed.) a craft certificate, but then informed that it is useless, unless I wanted to get a job in a factory as an apprentice
I was given this direction from www.immi.gov.au to www.workplace.com.au to TRA and then http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...on/Default.htm, tehey do not deal with trades, for recognition they send you back to http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/ who eventually send you back to vetasses and workplace:curse:.. that is if you are a carpenter. So, Yes Help is needed.
Eamon
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, thats here in NSW, $2.5k for carpentry cert IV and building cert IV $3.5k. Thats with the cheapest "Tafe'. If you go to HIA or MBA or 'BITAD', it gets dearer. Yes, you say licensing is a different issue but at present without a license you can only earn $1000 per invoice including materials. Thats not a very big job, making it very restrictive and also so most builders will not employ a tradesman without his license (even though it is not a requirement, as the builder has his own license)
TRA will not deal with carpentry trades once you are in the country. Only metal and electrical trades. I have got recognition of my trade from Vetasses' ( Dept. of Ed.) a craft certificate, but then informed that it is useless, unless I wanted to get a job in a factory as an apprentice
I was given this direction from www.immi.gov.au to www.workplace.com.au to TRA and then http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...on/Default.htm, tehey do not deal with trades, for recognition they send you back to http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/ who eventually send you back to vetasses and workplace:curse:.. that is if you are a carpenter. So, Yes Help is needed.
Eamon

I looked on the fair trading site and there is NO info at all on overseas qualifications

I also looked to see if I could find out about Recognition Of Prior Learning in NSW so that you could apply for that and maybe get your licence - all I can say is

I can see why you are pissed off - talk about going round in circles!.

All I can suggest is maybe going through these: http://www.ctq.com.au/index.cfm?ContentParentTypeID=3

The trouble is they are in QLD, so you'd need to apply for a licence there and convert to NSW via mutual recognition. It's going to be the long way around, but far better than not working at all.

Hopefully someone will know what you need to do in NSW to work as a carpenter and you won't have to do it that way.

I would call the local MP and give tell them about this, they might be able to help you.

I hope you manage to get sorted
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:09 am
"At Home"

Ok , a little further today as I got a response from the www.nqai.ie , irish system who say that "the general rule of thumb is that in terms of recognition of foreign quals. is that once qualification is made by a recognised body in its country of origin, then another country should facilitate the recognition of it in relation to its own education system" I have contacted aei-noosr to get an answer and they say they are only a referral department. So spoke to vetasses which is recommended through the workplace site and they only deal with Victoria.
But the good news for migrants from India
South Africa
Sri Lanka
the Philippines
the United Kingdom
who are over seas, is they have now changed the assessing authority which will now recognise your qualification on paper as an “Offshore Record of Technical Skills”. Full details can be found at http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...entservice.htm This is still restrictrictive to those without paper I agree and it doesn't help people like me who are australian residents with overseas qualification but it is a step forwards. I will post similar on another thread so others are aware as soon aspossable for there own application. I am trying to cantact the head of the state training authority NSW to clarify the "black hole" that is and will update further. Eamon
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a skilled Painter and decorator which is on the MODL list and apparently is in huge demand
The housing market - with the possible exception of parts of Queensland - is slowing. Building costs are stabilising or even falling. Demand for building trades is diminishing slightly. I expect job prospects in the home building industry will not be as great as in the past few years.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:44 am
"At Home"

He also has other skills such as tiling, building and fitting kitchens and bathrooms etc. It seems such a waste of a skill. He just needs someone to give him a chance!
He will just have to go walk and talk to people. The way best to get a job is who you know like the good old days . I agree with Amazulu that people are tighting their belts with spending and doing a lot of DIY, As it is there is not a huge want in redecorating or modernisation with Australians so that market is snailish anyway. Eamon.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you thought about coming out and seeing if you can find one? Or go along to one of the Expo things, see if there are any contacts there?

It's probably more difficult because most are on man bands, rather than big companies but keep plugging away. Good luck finding someone

I am trying to cantact the head of the state training authority NSW to clarify the "black hole" that is and will update further. Eamon
I've been wondering how you were getting on. Hopefully you'll get somewhere with them and they'll see that all this is just ludicrous. I know the new vetassess is supposed to be helping to sort this out, but they need to do something in the meantime - even if it's just making it more clear what ever it is you need to do.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:53 am
"At Home"

I've been wondering how you were getting on. Hopefully you'll get somewhere with them and they'll see that all this is just ludicrous. I know the new vetassess is supposed to be helping to sort this out, but they need to do something in the meantime - even if it's just making it more clear what ever it is you need to do.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you
Thanks Wendy, Just got off the phone with a John Spirewka at the Department of Education who got a little hot under under the collar. Not at me but at the situation the federal government wanting to implement stae policies and 'OFT ' licenseing overnight. "I don't think he was a Liberal fan. Anyway all he could do in his position is recommend doing the expensive fast track coarse or doing the normal long coarse to resolve my 'trade' situation with 'prior recognition'. So I requested a name to write to, he suggested federal minister of educ. (Julia Guillard) but said everyone is aware of the current "issues" and me writing was not going to do much difference. My point to him was if I receive a national qualification from my country of origin- it should be recognised internationally, he agreed. So back to pen and preverbally paper and try drum up a 'politically correct' letter to send. Another week. I spoke to Vetasses this morning the girl said "get an address in Vic. and come down and do the recognition there (partly paid for by state) and then go back to NSW with it, as it is nationally recognised.
I think I will just become a computer geek, its easier. Eamon
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy, Just got off the phone with a John Spirewka at the Department of Education who got a little hot under under the collar. Not at me but at the situation the federal government wanting to implement stae policies and 'OFT ' licenseing overnight. "I don't think he was a Liberal fan. Anyway all he could do in his position is recommend doing the expensive fast track coarse or doing the normal long coarse to resolve my 'trade' situation with 'prior recognition'. So I requested a name to write to, he suggested federal minister of educ. (Julia Guillard) but said everyone is aware of the current "issues" and me writing was not going to do much difference. My point to him was if I receive a national qualification from my country of origin- it should be recognised internationally, he agreed. So back to pen and preverbally paper and try drum up a 'politically correct' letter to send. Another week. I spoke to Vetasses this morning the girl said "get an address in Vic. and come down and do the recognition there (partly paid for by state) and then go back to NSW with it, as it is nationally recognised.
I think I will just become a computer geek, its easier. Eamon
So still no better off then are you?

I know loads of tradies (mostly sparkies) that come to South Australia to get their licences then convert them through the interstate mutual recognition route, as it is so much easier and quicker to get. And that's Aussies as well as migrants
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:05 am
"At Home"

Originally Posted by Wendy
So still no better off then are you?

I know loads of tradies (mostly sparkies) that come to South Australia to get their licences then convert them through the interstate mutual recognition route, as it is so much easier and quicker to get. And that's Aussies as well as migrants
I am tempted, so easy just borrow an address and away you.... I'd miss the kids tho.