Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Trade Licences and Oz courses

Trade Licences and Oz courses

Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Trade Licences and Oz courses

Hi

My husband is a carpenter and we are looking at moving to Brisbane area later this year. Grateful for any help. I am trying to find out what we can do in the way of getting as much Oz quals before we go. We have found out that he can apply for his Blue card (General safety - 10 CPD points) before we go and so will be doing that, but the HIA told us that he also needs to to a Business Management for Trade Contractors course which gives 50 CDP points whatever that is? It is BSA approved course BSATMC002. This is so he can apply for his licence.

Can anyone tell me whether this is true or whether it is a waste of money doing this course and we should wait until we are over there? We want to start earning money as soon as possible so are hoping to get as much done this end as possible.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Karen & Mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trade Licences and Oz courses

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Hi

My husband is a carpenter and we are looking at moving to Brisbane area later this year. Grateful for any help. I am trying to find out what we can do in the way of getting as much Oz quals before we go. We have found out that he can apply for his Blue card (General safety - 10 CPD points) before we go and so will be doing that, but the HIA told us that he also needs to to a Business Management for Trade Contractors course which gives 50 CDP points whatever that is? It is BSA approved course BSATMC002. This is so he can apply for his licence.

Can anyone tell me whether this is true or whether it is a waste of money doing this course and we should wait until we are over there? We want to start earning money as soon as possible so are hoping to get as much done this end as possible.

Cheers
personally i would wait .i have been in touch with plumbing licenesing board in WA , also AUS institute of plumbing regarding such matters no replys as yet so were going to wait untill were there. one result tho ,my freind knows someone on plum lic board and has been keeping up to date with goings on.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

selina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to beholdselina is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Sun n Surf]Hi

hi, my husband is a painter and is going to that BSA course by correspondece course with the master painters ass. in Oz for 245 aus dollars. i'm sure that carpenters must have the same sort of organisation and maybe you can do it through them the same way?? just an idea. selina xx
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

[QUOTE=selina]
Hi

hi, my husband is a painter and is going to that BSA course by correspondece course with the master painters ass. in Oz for 245 aus dollars. i'm sure that carpenters must have the same sort of organisation and maybe you can do it through them the same way?? just an idea. selina xx
Thanks Karen & Mark and Selina. I think that we will do the course for the blue card and have a good look at the other one to see whether it is worth doing it before we go.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 8:17 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

Hi
Can't help with the trade quals but the General Construction Induction (Blue Card) is a prerequisite for working on construction sites. Most trades need them such as chippies, sparkies, brickies etc The scope for who needs them has just been widened to include shopfitters, painters, maintenance and repair staff on construction sites.
It is a short 3.5 hr course in QLD and if you are in striking distance of Wellington Point pop into the Australasian College of H&S www.austchs.com and I'll sort you out. Every Wednesday at 1630 - $67, 3hrs and the blue card is yours. Just bear in mind that each state has their own version (red card in NSW) and they are NOT transferable.
I teach a few chippies and they are never short of work.
Good luck
Bryn
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:26 am
Just Joined

helpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant future

HI Sun and Surf

I take it that you are applying on the MODL? or at least on the general 136 visa?

to do any building work in Queensland you have to be licensed. I foyu are going to Brisbane, your husband will have to apply to the QBSA - i'm not sure what the blue card thing is - as far as i am concerned, in queensland a blue card indicates a police check which qualifies you to work with children, which seems a bit incongrous.

Have a look at the following link:

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/BuildersContractors

be aware that trade licences are State/Territory specific.

Good Luck

Andy Sinclair-Ford

www.sf-migration-australia.co.uk
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Cheers
You'd would be better off trying to find a job offer than doing the courses.
Blue card course is available virtually everyday/everywhere, takes 3 hours and its unheared off to fail it.
The BSA licence businesses who already have Qld recognised trade qualifications but that's only of use if you are intending to work directly to the public (not required if you're going to be employed) or have work as a subby lined up. The course you are considering is only to satisfy the business criteria and doesn't necessarily mean you'll be easier to employ or even that the BSA will give you a licence automatically. They need references, examples of work completed, trade qualification (have a look on their web site).
I recon the best thing you could study whist you've time on your hands is aussie elocution (get the full course) because with a uk accent and no experience here it might not be as straight forward to get work as you hope. Get networking and good luck!
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
You'd would be better off trying to find a job offer than doing the courses.
Blue card course is available virtually everyday/everywhere, takes 3 hours and its unheared off to fail it.
The BSA licence businesses who already have Qld recognised trade qualifications but that's only of use if you are intending to work directly to the public (not required if you're going to be employed) or have work as a subby lined up. The course you are considering is only to satisfy the business criteria and doesn't necessarily mean you'll be easier to employ or even that the BSA will give you a licence automatically. They need references, examples of work completed, trade qualification (have a look on their web site).
I recon the best thing you could study whist you've time on your hands is aussie elocution (get the full course) because with a uk accent and no experience here it might not be as straight forward to get work as you hope. Get networking and good luck!
Thanks all of you for the advice, we are going to try and see if we can get work arranged before we get there (well at least try) but is a bit difficult as we don't know exactly where we are going to live (hopefully Sunshine coast somewhere).

Bryn - thanks for the advice with the Blue card, is a lot cheaper than from the UK so perhaps we will do it there, after all if you can just do it all in one day then it doesn't matter too much.

Bramptonbrian - thanks for your advice, you say licence not required if you are a subby, that is what my husband intends to work as, (i.e. not directly for the public), do you think that he would be able to get subby work without a licence easily?

Thanks
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:47 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaraandBryn
Hi
Can't help with the trade quals but the General Construction Induction (Blue Card) is a prerequisite for working on construction sites. Most trades need them such as chippies, sparkies, brickies etc The scope for who needs them has just been widened to include shopfitters, painters, maintenance and repair staff on construction sites.
It is a short 3.5 hr course in QLD and if you are in striking distance of Wellington Point pop into the Australasian College of H&S www.austchs.com and I'll sort you out. Every Wednesday at 1630 - $67, 3hrs and the blue card is yours. Just bear in mind that each state has their own version (red card in NSW) and they are NOT transferable.
I teach a few chippies and they are never short of work.
Good luck
Bryn
wow thanks for he offer thats one item less to worry about

regards steve
Old Mar 31st 2006, 3:49 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=helpwithvisa]HI Sun and Surf

I take it that you are applying on the MODL? or at least on the general 136 visa?

to do any building work in Queensland you have to be licensed. I foyu are going to Brisbane, your husband will have to apply to the QBSA - i'm not sure what the blue card thing is - as far as i am concerned, in queensland a blue card indicates a police check which qualifies you to work with children, which seems a bit incongrous.

Have a look at the following link:

http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/BuildersContractors

be aware that trade licences are State/Territory specific.

Good Luck

Andy Sinclair-Ford

the blue card is their version of our cscs card ie health and safty course
you also need a cpr course qld ( for sparkieas a deffo )

regards steve
Old Mar 31st 2006, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

[

Bramptonbrian - thanks for your advice, you say licence not required if you are a subby, that is what my husband intends to work as, (i.e. not directly for the public), do you think that he would be able to get subby work without a licence easily?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
QBSA licence individuals who are in business as construction related contractors, it's a business licence. If you are going to work for a QBSA licenced company on the books you will covered by their licence as an employee. If you are going to supply construction trade services on a contract basis you will need a QBSA business licence. www.bsa.qld.gov.au should help answer your queries.
Re: the blue card, some folk may get confused because the QBSA card is also blue. The Construction safety induction blue card is the one you need to enter any building site and is so easy to get here I won't bother too much about it, spend your time cleaning the mixer and selling all the stuff you aren't going to be bringing with you.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
[

Thanks
QBSA licence individuals who are in business as construction related contractors, it's a business licence. If you are going to work for a QBSA licenced company on the books you will covered by their licence as an employee. If you are going to supply construction trade services on a contract basis you will need a QBSA business licence. www.bsa.qld.gov.au should help answer your queries.
Re: the blue card, some folk may get confused because the QBSA card is also blue. The Construction safety induction blue card is the one you need to enter any building site and is so easy to get here I won't bother too much about it, spend your time cleaning the mixer and selling all the stuff you aren't going to be bringing with you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bramptonbrian