Which trade?

Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:18 pm
MrA
Forum Regular

MrA is on a distinguished road
Default Which trade?

Hi, i'm interested in emigrating to Oz but need to completely retrain to get there.
Will try to get RSMS visa once qualified as no experience is required,although will work in the U.K for at least a year to gain some confidence.
Just wondering if anybody has any advise on what trade would be advisable to train in considering i would like to go the RSMS route?
Cheers in advance for any info.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which trade?

Originally Posted by MrA
Hi, i'm interested in emigrating to Oz but need to completely retrain to get there.
Will try to get RSMS visa once qualified as no experience is required,although will work in the U.K for at least a year to gain some confidence.
Just wondering if anybody has any advise on what trade would be advisable to train in considering i would like to go the RSMS route?
Cheers in advance for any info.
This is very vague as many trades are on demand list for DIMIA. I suggest you try DIMIA page and decide what you want to do first and then read and read some more. God luck wit whatever you decide.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:41 pm
MrA
Forum Regular

MrA is on a distinguished road

Hi and thanks for your reply,what i meant was that on the wanted list there are a loads of occupations to choose from but in searching the various jobs pages your lucky to get 5 or 6 on some of the listed jobs,just wondered if this was reflective of the currentjobs market.
Also i thought some jobs would be less suited to the RSMS,with the red tape involved in some trades and areas employers might consider it too much hassle,but then there could be some trades with a real shortage of applicants where the transfer of skills are not so complicated,thus that could be an opening for the likes of me(hopefully).
With the cost of retraining in the region of 5 grand plus i want to try and make the right decision.Cheers
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrA
Hi and thanks for your reply,what i meant was that on the wanted list there are a loads of occupations to choose from but in searching the various jobs pages your lucky to get 5 or 6 on some of the listed jobs,just wondered if this was reflective of the currentjobs market.
Also i thought some jobs would be less suited to the RSMS,with the red tape involved in some trades and areas employers might consider it too much hassle,but then there could be some trades with a real shortage of applicants where the transfer of skills are not so complicated,thus that could be an opening for the likes of me(hopefully).
With the cost of retraining in the region of 5 grand plus i want to try and make the right decision.Cheers
Trades vary on demand for different states. EG, Perth and Queensland has mining industry and has big demand for tradesman in relevant trades (welders, boilermakers, mining engs, diesel fitters etc) Job pages are better here than on websites and have plenty of vacancies which may not be on websites. What do you do now and why retrain. Trades take 3-4 yrs to train and I think experience also to satisfy TRA. Any skills on demand will have a shortage of skilled ppl, hence on demand but as for which to train in, then I think its a shot in the dark. There are so many things that can affect outcomes that I think you just need to go for it and hope its all good.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I will be watching this thread with interest too as we could be in the same boat.

I have an employer who has told me they will sponsor me for this type of visa, IF no ozzies apply. Just waiting for them to advertise now. My job is VERY scarce outside of Sydney and Melbourne, so if this one doesn't work out we don't know how long until another one comes up, so retraining is the other option.

It hadden't actually occured to me that you don't need work experiance for that type of visa. Mmmmm, as we want to live in 'rural' Oz this sounds even better.

Good luck
Old Mar 5th 2007, 7:22 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I will be watching this thread with interest too as we could be in the same boat.

I have an employer who has told me they will sponsor me for this type of visa, IF no ozzies apply. Just waiting for them to advertise now. My job is VERY scarce outside of Sydney and Melbourne, so if this one doesn't work out we don't know how long until another one comes up, so retraining is the other option.

It hadden't actually occured to me that you don't need work experiance for that type of visa. Mmmmm, as we want to live in 'rural' Oz this sounds even better.

Good luck
as i understand it
rsms is done by a post code list. i didnt think sydney or melbourne is on that list..
can someone put up a link for this..
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilli
as i understand it
rsms is done by a post code list. i didnt think sydney or melbourne is on that list..

http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/rsms_postcodes.htm
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:41 pm
Banned

chilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to allchilli is a name known to all

ever helpful
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilli
as i understand it
Yep, that is right. The job which is being advertised soon is in one of the 'rural' areas, but they come up so rarely (as all the jobs are in Melbourne and Sydney) that if I didn't get it I would move onto trying a new trade. I obviously didn't word it very well before, sorry.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 9:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Yep, that is right. The job which is being advertised soon is in one of the 'rural' areas, but they come up so rarely (as all the jobs are in Melbourne and Sydney) that if I didn't get it I would move onto trying a new trade. I obviously didn't word it very well before, sorry.
excellent
i really hope you get your job