Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA or VETASSESS

TRA or VETASSESS

Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Peter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nicePeter & Karin is just really nice
Default TRA or VETASSESS

I need some advice!

I am a carpenter/joiner, who was planning to apply through the TRA for the initial part of my application, but have it has been suggested that as I have a Degree in Construction Project Management, I apply to VETASSESS.

They have said that in light of my experience 19years in the trade, with progression (ie a degree) albeit I'm still on the tools,it is the better way to go.

Would this have any effect on my ability to work in OZ, could I go on the tools or would I have to go into management?

The TRA daunts me, but I can provide all the evidence and then some if they want to read a small novel!

Can anyone offer any good advice please.

oh we also have my wife's auntie, uncle and cousins who are going to sponsor us ( they are all citizens, been in Oz for 20 years)
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:25 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA or VETASSESS

Peter,

- Note that the skills assessment classification letter is usually only of use for the purpose of your visa application. Generally a classification for migration purposes doesn't assist in securing employment; better to consider seeking an assessment under the Australian Qualifications Framework, although such an assessment might not be necessary because your occupation is likely to be sought after by employers in Australia.

- The VETASSESS pathway supported by a family sponsorship is likely to be the easier one (as compared with a Skilled Independent visa strategy) simply because the skills assessment process is easier as compared with an application to TRA.

- Before embarking on a family sponsored skilled visa application I'd make sure you have an Assurer in place who can satisfy the income requirement for the Assurance of Support, most notably in the context of being able to demonstrate that s/he has the required level of assessable income as demonstrated by Tax Assessment Notices issued by the Australian Taxation Office for the last couple of income tax years.

- Note also that if you went down the TRA pathway and given your occupation you should be able to secure a State Nomination, which would avoid the need to utilise family sponsorships. State Nominations are only possible from WA, SA, VIC, and TAS. Also a Skilled - State/Territory Nominated Independent visa would be processed as a priority application by the Department of Immigration.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Peter & Karin
I need some advice!

I am a carpenter/joiner, who was planning to apply through the TRA for the initial part of my application, but have it has been suggested that as I have a Degree in Construction Project Management, I apply to VETASSESS.

They have said that in light of my experience 19years in the trade, with progression (ie a degree) albeit I'm still on the tools,it is the better way to go.

Would this have any effect on my ability to work in OZ, could I go on the tools or would I have to go into management?

The TRA daunts me, but I can provide all the evidence and then some if they want to read a small novel!

Can anyone offer any good advice please.

oh we also have my wife's auntie, uncle and cousins who are going to sponsor us ( they are all citizens, been in Oz for 20 years)