British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tra Say Yay! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tra-say-yay-321989/)

wallabyWannabe Aug 24th 2005 6:18 pm

Tra Say Yay!

Just back from a lovely holiday in Spain, and the first letter we looked for was the one with a blue Air Mail embelem on it! It said YES!!!!!
Only trouble is, telling my parents. They are aware of what we want to do, but I think up until now, they were hoping it would get swept under the carpet. I am really dreading telling them and spoiling their day! Any suggestions on breaking the news would be greatly appriciated!
Cheers,
W.W.

sara-anthony3108 Aug 24th 2005 6:21 pm

Re: Tra Say Yay!

well done for the yes part ..as for the other no way is a good way I am affraid .. we told both parents before we sent everything off .. now we have our medicals through and I even told that the wrong way .. so just go for it and take a box of tissues .. good luck .. where r u heading by the way

Originally Posted by wallabyWannabe
Just back from a lovely holiday in Spain, and the first letter we looked for was the one with a blue Air Mail embelem on it! It said YES!!!!!
Only trouble is, telling my parents. They are aware of what we want to do, but I think up until now, they were hoping it would get swept under the carpet. I am really dreading telling them and spoiling their day! Any suggestions on breaking the news would be greatly appriciated!
Cheers,
W.W.

Sam Aug 24th 2005 6:23 pm

Cheers,
W.W.

Sorry cant halp with that one, just wanted to say well done and congrats, the hardest part is out the way (so they say, mines going on 5th Sept)

Well done!!!!!! sending you some karma to help :)

Sam (Alan + girls)

kris maynard Aug 24th 2005 6:24 pm

Cheers,
W.W.

CONGRATULATIONS how long did it take? We are waiting for ours!!

As for parents tell em sooner the better get it over with ! you still have a while for them to get used to it while waiting for your visa!

Kris x

wallabyWannabe Aug 24th 2005 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by sara-anthony3108
well done for the yes part ..as for the other no way is a good way I am affraid .. we told both parents before we sent everything off .. now we have our medicals through and I even told that the wrong way .. so just go for it and take a box of tissues .. good luck .. where r u heading by the way

Wonderful Sunshine Coast in QLD. Hopefully Little Mountain or Caloundra.
But somewhere near there anyway!!!
What about you?

Paul2004 Aug 24th 2005 6:26 pm

Congratulation Karma heading your way! ... :)

wallabyWannabe Aug 24th 2005 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by kris maynard
CONGRATULATIONS how long did it take? We are waiting for ours!!

As for parents tell em sooner the better get it over with ! you still have a while for them to get used to it while waiting for your visa!

Kris x

Hello, ours took 7 weeks and 2 days! (But obviously we waited longer cos of Spain)!!

Perthforme Aug 24th 2005 6:29 pm

Hello, ours took 7 weeks and 2 days! (But obviously we waited longer cos of Spain)!!

Best get main app in !!
Well Done , and good luck .

kris maynard Aug 24th 2005 6:30 pm

OMG they have had ours 6 weeks and 1 day (not that im counting obviously)

Kris x

robos Aug 24th 2005 6:31 pm

CONGRATULATIOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

as for telling the parents i think you should just tell them
i was dreading telling mine what we were planning to do but they understood
good luck ww
jan & gaz xx :)

Sir Les Patterson Aug 24th 2005 6:32 pm

Cheers,
W.W.

well done ....but at the end of the day you have to think of yourself and not worry about spoiling anyones day

joanneS Aug 25th 2005 7:39 am

Cheers,
W.W.

Just wanted to say a big congratulations and good luck with telling the parents, i know exactly how you feel, told my mum and dad a while ago and nothing more has been said, swept under the carpet like you said!!! :)

bridiej Aug 25th 2005 7:47 am

Congrats!! :D

Dont envy you with the telling the parents bit, we were nervous as hell when we told them after we passed the TRA. But apart from a few tears from MIL and negative comments from FIL (which still come!) all was well.

We werent going to tell them until we had our visas but with hindsight I'm glad we did it then as it's given them about six months to get used to the idea.

sara-anthony3108 Aug 25th 2005 8:22 am

off to perth at the mo .. but may look at sunshine coast ... have family in perth but they r heading around aus for 18mth - 2yrs travelling .. they are retired .. idea to go the perth was that we would have someone there but doesnt matter so much now .. we have other family in adelade but dont fancy there and I have a friend on sunshine coast .. other reason for Perth was it was closer and cheaper for family to get to but I suppose being all that way another few hours accross wont matter ..
anyway good luck with the rest of teh application and telling ru parents ..

Wonderful Sunshine Coast in QLD. Hopefully Little Mountain or Caloundra.
But somewhere near there anyway!!!
What about you?