Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tra - Painter And Decorator

Tra - Painter And Decorator

Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:17 am
Just Joined

French is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tra - Painter And Decorator

Hi. We are new to this so please be gentle!!!

Can anyone out there help us with a skills assessment for my husband who is a painter and decorator. Looking at the information required it seems the authorities want so much detail about what the job entails - you could end up writing a manual on painting and decorating!!!!

We could do with some guidelines, tips, hints, anything to help us detail the tasks/duties performed. Any information would be welcome.

Cheers.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:38 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tra - Painter And Decorator

Originally Posted by French

Hi. We are new to this so please be gentle!!!

Can anyone out there help us with a skills assessment for my husband who is a painter and decorator. Looking at the information required it seems the authorities want so much detail about what the job entails - you could end up writing a manual on painting and decorating!!!!

We could do with some guidelines, tips, hints, anything to help us detail the tasks/duties performed. Any information would be welcome.

Cheers.

Hi French, welcome to the site. Go into search at top of page & type in Tra tips & have a look through old threads for advice.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bordy
Hi French, welcome to the site. Go into search at top of page & type in Tra tips & have a look through old threads for advice.
Thanks for that - will do.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by French
Thanks for that - will do.
Hi there,
My husband is a Painter and Decorator and has been accepted (well Visas any day now) via Skilled 136.
We used an Agent and were accepted very quickly indeed. We could probably have done it ourselves, but we felt his advice was invaluable (if a little fussy, but that's TRA not him).
If you want more advice contact him [email protected]

Other people have done it without and it's not difficult, we just didn't want the form sent back time and again!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

johnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the roughjohnkay is a jewel in the rough

We spent 2 months putting together hubbies Painter and Decorator stuff, and recieved a positive response in January 2004.
We did not use an agent, but got advise from other people who had previously done TRA.
It does seem to be that you can not supply too much.
We followed advise and produced documentation that I called our 'Idiots guide to Painting and Decorating'.
Basically this consisted of a detailed account of jobs done. We did about 6 examples of types of work done and described how we prepared the job, named the tools and equipment used and the methods used. Each description was approx 1/2 sheets of A4, we described the size of brush, the type of sand paper, the type and colour of paint, and the a description of the area and surface.
We tried to provide examples a variety of jobs, these included, burning off and repaintng wood framed windows, decorating an old property, decorating a new property, decorating a bathroom including tiling, etc.
You have to prove you know what to do and how to do it, we even mentioned laying out of clean dust sheets, clearing away and washing paint brushes etc.
Maybe we did too much, but we took on board what people told us, and provided all this stuff and it worked.
If you want any more ideas etc, I would be glad to help
Best of luck
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:11 pm
maggy

Originally Posted by johnkay
We spent 2 months putting together hubbies Painter and Decorator stuff, and recieved a positive response in January 2004.
We did not use an agent, but got advise from other people who had previously done TRA.
It does seem to be that you can not supply too much.
We followed advise and produced documentation that I called our 'Idiots guide to Painting and Decorating'.
Basically this consisted of a detailed account of jobs done. We did about 6 examples of types of work done and described how we prepared the job, named the tools and equipment used and the methods used. Each description was approx 1/2 sheets of A4, we described the size of brush, the type of sand paper, the type and colour of paint, and the a description of the area and surface.
We tried to provide examples a variety of jobs, these included, burning off and repaintng wood framed windows, decorating an old property, decorating a new property, decorating a bathroom including tiling, etc.
You have to prove you know what to do and how to do it, we even mentioned laying out of clean dust sheets, clearing away and washing paint brushes etc.
Maybe we did too much, but we took on board what people told us, and provided all this stuff and it worked.
If you want any more ideas etc, I would be glad to help
Best of luck
Totally agree its very in depth and if you dont get it right it could mean a refusal for next stage.

We used an agent at 4 corners who were fantastic and she said it was one of the best TRA she had recieved. ( Painter and Decorator ) took us approx 4 months. We wanted to get visa badly lol.

I will have a look to see if we still have a copy as we are now HERE in Perth. It worked for us lol.

PM me your address and if we have a copy I will send it on to you.

Good Luck

Mags and Mark

Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone for their advise. We have taken on board the fact that we will have to provide as much info as possible - almost down to the colour of the pants we wear!!!!! I said almost!!

So will make a start immediately and will probably come back with more questions later.

Bye for now
French
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:23 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

How many pages you up to now French?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:07 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Tra - Painter And Decorator

Hi, As for appling to the TRA we took all the paper work to the pub and sat and brain stormed (waffled) for ages about my TRA application as a butcher at the end of a couple of hours and about 5 pints we'd written a fools guide to butchery. This and aload of references we sent off to the TRA. We passed with no questions asked or references checked....
CORKER
Old Feb 26th 2005, 11:03 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Corker, you nutter!!!! but what a way to do it!!! gotta admire that.