Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tra,no qualifications on paper but 17 yrs experience,am i wasting my time?

tra,no qualifications on paper but 17 yrs experience,am i wasting my time?

Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

peterpam is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy tra,no qualifications on paper but 17 yrs experience,am i wasting my time?

hi all,ive been busy writting and drawing and arranging refrences off my old employers as far back as 1986,but im worried because i have nothing from a college to state i am a carpenter/joiner that i may be wasting my time.has anybody been in similar position and applied or is applying now ,just to put my mind at rest,cheers :scared:
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:36 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: tra,no qualifications on paper but 17 yrs experience,am i wasting my time?

Originally posted by peterpam
hi all,ive been busy writting and drawing and arranging refrences off my old employers as far back as 1986,but im worried because i have nothing from a college to state i am a carpenter/joiner that i may be wasting my time.has anybody been in similar position and applied or is applying now ,just to put my mind at rest,cheers :scared:
my andy is a designer for royal doultons....... all he has is 5 yrs in house training followed by 10 yrs working knowledge...... nothing written....... he has been awarded 60 points for graphic pre press

go for it......

love boomie xx
Old Mar 19th 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sims4eva is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: tra,no qualifications on paper but 17 yrs experience,am i wasting my time?

Hi,

with 17 years experience you should be OK as the TRA assess experience as well as qualifications.

Do a search on the immigration forum and I'm sure you'll find plenty of posts from other carpenter/joiners. It might also be worth while taking a look at www.austimeline.com where you'll be able to get reassurance from seeing how others have fared with their assessments.

Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Hubby has 18 years experience in printing, no formal qualifications in this field. He got through, no probs.
Just provide as much info as possible in as much detail as possible.
Good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tra,no qualifications on paper but 17 yrs experience,am i wasting my time?

Hi Peterpam
my hubby is a plasterer with 20 years experience but no formal qualifications and he passed the tra with flying colours, i say go for it!
best of luck
Rach & Family x
Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:43 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Boomie
my andy is a designer for royal doultons....... all he has is 5 yrs in house training followed by 10 yrs working knowledge...... nothing written....... he has been awarded 60 points for graphic pre press

go for it......

love boomie xx
yup same here, 13 years experience with no training or qualifications.... 60 points on pre press too! and to think i was going to apply through ACS with RPL!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 8:48 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Ditto peterpam,
I am a carpenter with 20 yrs ex. no qualifications etc. no worries mate.
All you need is proof that you have been working as a chippie for 3 of the last 4 years.
A reference and your tax records will be required.
The TRA is the hardest part, gathering all the info can be a real headache, but we all have done it and come through.
Need any advice just ask.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:48 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can get a reference from your first employer to say that you did a 4-year 'in house' apprenticeship, you will be fine. If you speak to that employer and / or give them a draft reference as you would like it to sound I'm sure they'll oblige especially knowing how important it is for the rest of your 'new life' in Oz.

Good luck !
Old Mar 20th 2004, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

peterpam is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile tra

thanks all!!!! ex pats strikes again thanks for all the info and support,will carry on writting at least feel not wasting my time,see u all in afew weeks when ready to post to tra
Old Mar 20th 2004, 1:00 pm
Harryh

Don't worry about qualifications mate. They will take anyone in this country as tradesman standards are sh.t.

"Made in Australia" is all gloss no substance.