Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA newcomers..looks like a minefield!!

TRA newcomers..looks like a minefield!!

Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:28 am
Just Joined

P & C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRA newcomers..looks like a minefield!!

My hubbie has 16years experience in the building trade, all work experience no formal qualifications.. we are looking at skilled migration we have sponsor and will be designated area (between Sydney & Brisbane). We have a million questions to ask......but here's just a few
Is there a reasonable chance of success with TRA on experience alone?
Is it a good idea to leave the occupation classification blank if you feel you fit into more that one category i.e are you bound to taking up that occupation in Oz or can you be employed in other capacities?
We have had building job offer from family member to build their house (they are farmers) does this count for anything and how do you evidence it?
Is it true that most 1st time applications fail?
Is it worth paying extra for priority application?
Would like to hear form people in a similar postion....feel a bit overwhelmed by it all there seem to be many pitfalls.
Cheers in advance for any advice sent.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:46 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA newcomers..looks like a minefield!!

Originally Posted by P & C
My hubbie has 16years experience in the building trade, all work experience no formal qualifications.. we are looking at skilled migration we have sponsor and will be designated area (between Sydney & Brisbane). We have a million questions to ask......but here's just a few
Is it a good idea to leave the occupation classification blank if you feel you fit into more that one category i.e are you bound to taking up that occupation in Oz or can you be employed in other capacities?
We have had building job offer from family member to build their house (they are farmers) does this count for anything and how do you evidence it?
Would like to hear form people in a similar postion....feel a bit overwhelmed by it all there seem to be many pitfalls.
sorry, cant help you on everything.

wanted to say welcome to the forum.

it seems as though very few people fail their TRA first time. there are a few '2nd timers' on this forum, and if you use the 'search' tool at the top of the page, you will get information about everything. there are loads and loads of people who get their TRA first time.

we paid for priority and it took just over 9 weeks to come back okay/ i dont think we could have waited for 6 months (non-priority).

are you using an agent? if you are at all unsure, use an agent to help you through it. you can just use an agent for the TRA if you want, and do the main application yourself.

hope this helps a little

good luck
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Glenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by P & C
Absence of formal qualifications is not a problem in itself. TRA has an assessment pathway specifically for that. The issues are the nature/content of the experience and on-job training, and the ability to prove it in the required ways.

It is advisable to focus on one specific trade area - the area in which your claims and ability to prove are the strongest. TRA does not look kindly on multi-skilling.

The TRA process is based on the specific circumstances of each case and overall success/failure rates don't really mean much in deciding whether you are likely to be successful. If there is a case and it is put correctly it should be successful.

An advantage of priority is that the application is fresh in your mind if the decision is negative and you are better placed to consider your options of appeal or do a new application.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: TRA newcomers..looks like a minefield!!

Thanks for response, just what we needed to know, he works for a small firm so is multi skilled, but we think we will focus on bricklaying.
Cheers
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: TRA newcomers..looks like a minefield!!

Thanks for response all advise greatly appreciated
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, assuming you are organised and can get all the information together from previous applicants.

Not sure on the sponsored visa. But Skilled Independent visa will get you in as a builder (If you can prove it through TRA). Once in Australia you can then live where you like and work in any trade.

Not that Ive heard, we are first time and expecting visas any time soon.

Yes if you want to get there sooner.

Lots to do, but its very possible. Have you not though of using an emigration agent? They will definitely point you in the right direction.

Also, post this in the Aus/NZ emigration section and you will get more responses.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

ali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura about

I've just passed my TRA as a general electrician , first try .

It took only 10 weeks and I wasn't on the priority scheme .

The hardest part by far was collecting all the information required , from old employers etc , having to harrass them , as nicely as I could ,to get a reference from them .

But with a bit of work and persistence we got the result we wanted .

Good luck .