Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tra Info Questions Plumber

Wikiposts

Tra Info Questions Plumber

Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Tra Info Questions Plumber

Originally Posted by thfc
I was a plumber for 25 years,now living just outside melbourne.I wrote over a hundred pages on plumbing covering all aspects of the plumbing work i had done,what plumbing jobs i had done how i done them,what tools and materials i had used,the more info you give the better,it took me ages to do.Just give you a tip,im city and guilds qualified,been plumbing for 25 years,but they still want me to resit my exams before i start work,ive got to take 6 exams[16 hours each] before they will let you work.to get my plumbers license and get registered,it costs about 700 dollars and takes time,getting onto courses etc.Im now steel fixing on industrial sites,money is about the same as plumbing and all you need is a belt a pair of nips,reel and bolt cutters,and im enjoying the change although its hard work.There is loads of building work around the melbourne area,just tell you the plumbing out ere is different,about ten years behind england i think.Hope this helps you.Be lucky
You have scared me even more now, how the hell am I going to get my husband to write about one hundred pages when he can't even be bothered to type on here. I have to type it in for him. Maybe I'll have to write all about plumbing (I think the TRA would love that)!!! I think I would hold the record then for the quickest rejection going!!!!
Are all states the same regarding retaking tests?? Seems a bit harsh when you have already proved that you can do plumbing!!
If its right what everyone says about Australian plumbing being 10 years behind ours, maybe it's time all the Brit plumbers got together and showed them the easy way to do things! (No disrespect to any Australian plumbers out there)!!
Thanks for the advice
Joanne
Old Feb 19th 2005, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tra Info Questions Plumber

Didnt mean to scare you,just telling you how it is in Victoria,not sure about other states.Makes me laugh,i got accepted out here as a plumber and when you get here you cant work,something they dont tell you about,stupid aint it.But if your husband can turn his hand to other trades aswell which most plumbers can,he will have no problems getting work until he does his exams,theres stacks of work out here.Im no good at writing,it took me about a month to write out all my work history,getting references etc,but if it gets you out here,its well worth it,stick with it.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Tra Info Questions Plumber

Originally Posted by thfc
Didnt mean to scare you,just telling you how it is in Victoria,not sure about other states.Makes me laugh,i got accepted out here as a plumber and when you get here you cant work,something they dont tell you about,stupid aint it.But if your husband can turn his hand to other trades aswell which most plumbers can,he will have no problems getting work until he does his exams,theres stacks of work out here.Im no good at writing,it took me about a month to write out all my work history,getting references etc,but if it gets you out here,its well worth it,stick with it.
Thanks for that info, yes my husband is actually multitrade, can also do carpentary, tiling, a bit of electrics. We will definitely stick with it even though I know its going to be a hard slog!! I think first I better get off this computer and give him a kick start!!! God this site is addictive!!! I seem to spend most of the evening looking through it.
Thanks again
Jo
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by joanneS
Thanks Crozz, its good to hear we are not the only one out there with problems!! Can you tell me what exactly is a stat dec?
How long did it take your TRA to come through and did you do the fast track one?
So where in Oz are you heading for? All these questions, sorry you must be thinking typical woman can't shut up!!
Was about to sign off and then remembered, what is an informal and formal apprenticeship? Not quite sure which one to put down on the forms!!
Thanks

Good luck with the rest of the process
Hopefully talk soon Joanne
hello again dont worry youll be fine if your husbands got his certificates all he has to do is get references from his employers i actually wrote a rough copy of what i wanted them to write all they did was transfer it over onto a letterhead.its important that you give them has much detail has possible,i know it sounds daft but dont forget it will be a qualified tradesmen thats reading these write in detail for eg to plumbing in a basin to rewashering a tap the more info the better.i fast tracked mmy tra and i think it took about 10 weeks for the result.the answer to your question about providing stat dec is yess they do accept these they can tell by the info you give that you are what you say you are.i spent three years has a trainee plumber while going to college so if your husband is an apprentice plumber you will be fine.good luck from crozz.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Just bumpiong this one to the top!!

Don't want to frighten you J, but my hubbie got his result today - bloody failed!! I just dont get it at all - he has 12 years inthe job, got ACS qualifications and is Corgi registered yet we still failed. I think our agent ballsed up big time however and am now looking to change.

Im hoping that the lovely kind folks (grovel) that replied to this thread earlier will perhaps shed some light for us and give words of encouragement - please???

Thanks.

One thoroughly pi**ed off Rooksie
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Just bumpiong this one to the top!!

Don't want to frighten you J, but my hubbie got his result today - bloody failed!! I just dont get it at all - he has 12 years inthe job, got ACS qualifications and is Corgi registered yet we still failed. I think our agent ballsed up big time however and am now looking to change.

Im hoping that the lovely kind folks (grovel) that replied to this thread earlier will perhaps shed some light for us and give words of encouragement - please???

Thanks.

One thoroughly pi**ed off Rooksie
Hi Rooksie, sorry to hear your news, why on earth did they fail you? did they say in detail why you failed? I doubt we will ever get a positive result if you can't! What agent did you use?
A few people on hear have failed the first time but next time around they pass so keep trying, don't let the buggers put you off.
let me know how you get on
Jo
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:40 am
Account Closed

Hi Rooksie, sorry to hear your news, why on earth did they fail you? did they say in detail why you failed? I doubt we will ever get a positive result if you can't! What agent did you use?
A few people on hear have failed the first time but next time around they pass so keep trying, don't let the buggers put you off.
let me know how you get on
Jo

you will be fine mate - arent you with go matilda??

all day i have been receiving posts and emails from other plumbers on here and i can see why we failed - OUR AGENT WAS SH**E!!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Please dont think I am scaremongering but just a word of caution.

Just because you pass your tra it doesn't automatically mean you are eligible for a plumbing licence.

Different States have different rules. My husband has Advanced City & Guilds and has been given a provisional licence until he undertakes additional courses.

The licenceing board have acknowledge its a major problem to them because people are being given positive tra's but unless they have specific Quals like City & Guilds. they will not even issue them with a provisional and they would have to start training at the bottom like any other school leaver.

They are even supposedly reviewing the acceptance of City & Guilds this year because they say they have had so many applicants from UK Plumbers that have gone on Short Courses in the UK to become 'Qualified' who just are not up to the Job.

We have heard a quite a few plumbers who have been refused a licence ( even with 15 years experience) and have either had to find alternative employment or return to the UK.

Please contact the relevant licensing board before you come and you can pay for them to do a skills assessment which will let you know if you will be eligible for a licence. Any reciprical agrrements they have apply to N Zealand not the UK
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jwinch
Please dont think I am scaremongering but just a word of caution.

Just because you pass your tra it doesn't automatically mean you are eligible for a plumbing licence.

Different States have different rules. My husband has Advanced City & Guilds and has been given a provisional licence until he undertakes additional courses.

The licenceing board have acknowledge its a major problem to them because people are being given positive tra's but unless they have specific Quals like City & Guilds. they will not even issue them with a provisional and they would have to start training at the bottom like any other school leaver.

They are even supposedly reviewing the acceptance of City & Guilds this year because they say they have had so many applicants from UK Plumbers that have gone on Short Courses in the UK to become 'Qualified' who just are not up to the Job.

We have heard a quite a few plumbers who have been refused a licence ( even with 15 years experience) and have either had to find alternative employment or return to the UK.

Please contact the relevant licensing board before you come and you can pay for them to do a skills assessment which will let you know if you will be eligible for a licence. Any reciprical agrrements they have apply to N Zealand not the UK
hello jwinch thanks for the info although its probably not the kind of thing you waant to hear a bit daunting really.i have been in the trade about 14 years with city and guilds quals it seems this licence is almost impossible to obtain.how would you go about finding the address for the relevant licensing board.aaany info would be appreciated cheers crozz.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crozz
hello jwinch thanks for the info although its probably not the kind of thing you waant to hear a bit daunting really.i have been in the trade about 14 years with city and guilds quals it seems this licence is almost impossible to obtain.how would you go about finding the address for the relevant licensing board.aaany info would be appreciated cheers crozz.

When you receive your TRA back they will give you details of all the licensing boards for the different states. If you are not at that stage just put in a search on the internet for "Plumbers licencing Board State'

Or try the master Plumbers Assoc website
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Couldnt work out how to edit my last reply

ADDRESSES OF PLUMBING, DRAINING AND GASFITTING REGISTRATION AND LICENSING AUTHORITIES

New South Wales Manager Licensing
Department of Fair Trading
Level 21 227 Elizabeth Street
Sydney NSW 2000
13 32 20

Victoria Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainers Registration Board
450 Burke Road
Camberwell Vic 3124
(03) 9889 2211

Queensland Plumbers and Drainers Examination and Licensing Board
12th Floor, 111 George Street
Brisbane Qld 4000
(07) 3235 4149

Western Australia Water, Sanitary, Drainage and Plum bing only
Plumbers Licensing
Water Corporation
629 Newcastle Street
Leederville WA 6007
(08) 9420 2662
Gasfitting only
Gas Regulation Officer
State Energy Commission of WA
Office of Energy
20 Southport Street
Leederville WA 6007
(08) 9422 5297

South Australia Plumbing and Gasfitting Secretariat
Office of Consumer and Business Affairs
Business and Occupational Services
91-97 Grenfell Street
Adelaide SA 5000
(08) 8204 9660

Tasmania Plumbers and Gasfitters Registration Board
Level 6, T.G.I.O. Building
144-148 Macquarie Street
Hobart Tas 7001
(03) 6233 7001
Northern Territory Plumbers and Drainers Licensing Board
Department of Lands Planning and Environment
1st Floor, Darwin Plaza Buildings
The Mall
Darwin NT 0800
(08) 8924 4036
Gasfitting only
Work Health Authority
66 Esplanade

Darwin NT 0800
(08) 8999 5141
Australian Capital Territory Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainers Registration Board
Building, Electrical and Plumbing Control
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

To everyone on this site that has been through the process, I'd be grateful for your help!!! (and I know there are loads of you on here)!!!
Have finally plucked up the courage to start the ball rolling and go on the roller coaster ride that you are all on! we have just posted our initial forms to the agent (Matilda). We are hoping to obtain a skilled visa for my husband as he is a plumber, plus as said on my last thread have got relations out in Oz that will hopefully sponser us if we need them. Anyway the TRA application, does any one know how much info they will actually require? how far back do they look into things? My husband has been in his current job for nearly four years working for the council as a plumber and then before that he was working as a plumber on a job for about 2.5 years, (no problems getting info for those jobs as references etc but the rest of his jobs I think some have closed down, I know one of the places he worked went into liquidation years ago. How far back would they need info for and what sort of info would they need from us? Also do they check your schooling records? I know my husband left school at 16 without doing any exams!! would that affect our chances? Any info would be greatly accepted so as we will know what to expect in the incoming months ahead!
By the way, one more little question? where do you think in Australia would be best to settle with 3 kids, 13 (I think he will be the hardest one to settle)!! loves his football too much, 10 year old boy (also plays football) and a 4 year old girl! My relations live in Canberra which we quite liked when we were out there but the only draw back was no beach!!! and it gets cold there in winter. Everyone seems to be heading to Queensland but because we haven't been there we haven't any idea what it's like. Also where do you think a plumber would have the best opportunities for work?
Hope some of you can be of some help (good or bad).
Thanks again to all of you
Love the Gibson Family
bump

if there are any plumbers out there with successful TRA we would dearly love to hear from you with any help/tips/advice or failing that simply words of encouragement!!

The Stressedout Plumbers Wives Club!!!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

sara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the roughsara-anthony3108 is a jewel in the rough

My husband is a bricklayer has run his own business for 5 years so we just got letters from clients and suppliers .. as for his other work some companies had been taken over so we just got letters from them to say that they had taken over and had no emloyment records and the rest of the time he just had to write a stat dec and get it witnessed .. took abt 2 mths to gather everything and was passed in abt 12 weeks ... we are heading south of Perth with our 5 yr old son ... if u have a look at www.thewest.com.au you can download the paper which shows you all the job adverts .. best day to download is saturday .. also has house details etc ... hope this helps

To everyone on this site that has been through the process, I'd be grateful for your help!!! (and I know there are loads of you on here)!!!
Have finally plucked up the courage to start the ball rolling and go on the roller coaster ride that you are all on! we have just posted our initial forms to the agent (Matilda). We are hoping to obtain a skilled visa for my husband as he is a plumber, plus as said on my last thread have got relations out in Oz that will hopefully sponser us if we need them. Anyway the TRA application, does any one know how much info they will actually require? how far back do they look into things? My husband has been in his current job for nearly four years working for the council as a plumber and then before that he was working as a plumber on a job for about 2.5 years, (no problems getting info for those jobs as references etc but the rest of his jobs I think some have closed down, I know one of the places he worked went into liquidation years ago. How far back would they need info for and what sort of info would they need from us? Also do they check your schooling records? I know my husband left school at 16 without doing any exams!! would that affect our chances? Any info would be greatly accepted so as we will know what to expect in the incoming months ahead!
By the way, one more little question? where do you think in Australia would be best to settle with 3 kids, 13 (I think he will be the hardest one to settle)!! loves his football too much, 10 year old boy (also plays football) and a 4 year old girl! My relations live in Canberra which we quite liked when we were out there but the only draw back was no beach!!! and it gets cold there in winter. Everyone seems to be heading to Queensland but because we haven't been there we haven't any idea what it's like. Also where do you think a plumber would have the best opportunities for work?
Hope some of you can be of some help (good or bad).
Thanks again to all of you
Love the Gibson Family
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sara-anthony3108
My husband is a bricklayer has run his own business for 5 years so we just got letters from clients and suppliers .. as for his other work some companies had been taken over so we just got letters from them to say that they had taken over and had no emloyment records and the rest of the time he just had to write a stat dec and get it witnessed .. took abt 2 mths to gather everything and was passed in abt 12 weeks ... we are heading south of Perth with our 5 yr old son ... if u have a look at www.thewest.com.au you can download the paper which shows you all the job adverts .. best day to download is saturday .. also has house details etc ... hope this helps

thanks for that - it all helps build a bigger picture. think however we stuck with STNI route (which fine by us!!) and that takes us to South Australia. Just got to get over TRA hurdle first!!! YIKES :scared:
Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice

hi there my name is Bev and my plumber husband Keith passed TRA no probs, we went through agent (ian Harropp)
we wrote detailed letters explaining whole thread to needle skills and duties of each job and copied it onto disc then went to each employer to get letterhead and signature, for 2 closed down companies wrote declaration etc . write list of tools used, measuring instruments,( u gauges, co2 detectors etc) materials, diagrams, instructions followed etc
we started process of immigration in august 2003!!!!!!!!!! now have entered meds, police checks etc and waiting for positive result...
we are hoping to settle in Brisbane as lots of job opportunities and brilliant for children.
hope this helps
Bev...
i was beginning toi think i was only plumbers wife on forum!! as all others seem to be sparkies!! no offence (brother a bright spark)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.