Reload this Page >

TRA or IEAust???

TRA or IEAust???

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

KERR is on a distinguished road
Default TRA or IEAust???

Hi There

This is my first post on the forum although I have been lurking in the background trying to get as much info as possible.

One thing I have managed to pick up is that I need to get my trade/skills assessed by the TRA and that this seems to be a nightmare, so any advice or personal experience you can offer would be gratefully received.

I am currently employed as a maintenance fitter and have all of my documentation available such as my apprenticeship as a Fitter/Machinist, ONC in Engineering and HNC in mechatronics along with various course certificates.

My major concern is the fact that I have had seven employers in about 15 years and I know for a fact that I could not contact at least 2 of them because they have closed down etc, although I do still have a contract of employment on file from a few of them.

Basically what I am asking is how tough are they when assessing you? Do I have to have a watertight application with no grey employment periods?

My other question is about the Sydney accord through the IEAust, would my HNC get me through this way? As an engineering technologist (60 points)? And is this easier than the TRA?

Any advice much appreciated, would also like to hear from people in a similar trade as myself as to the job situation/ where / how much etc, etc

KERR
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

stevejohna is an unknown quantity at this point

Kerr,
My understanding is that any gaps in your employment history will not matter, as long as you still have enough qualifications and evidence of experience to qualify. I believe you have to have worked in your nominated occupation for 12 out of the last 18 months to qualify (this is for TRA, no idea about IEaust).
I am in the same boat as you (almost exactly!!). I am a Maintenance technician with Multi discipline HNC, NVQ 3, trade tickets, courses blah blah blah.
We are using Go Matilda and I have just sent off my skills assessment stuff to them today.
I am by no means an authority on any of this but if I can help in any way give me a shout.

Stevejohna
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 5:37 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya
My hubby got his aprenticeship in Mechanical and Production Engineering many many years ago....he also has had many many jobs, as in the last few years they have all neen contract.

He sent his trade certificates, HNC certificates along with a couple of old job references and also he needed references that covered..ummmm the last 4 years I think...they have to detail our job title and your day to day duties etc.(remember and send certified copies not originals)

Our agent sent them off to IEAust 5 weeks later he passed woo hooo

Hope this helps if you need any more info just ask
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:07 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Went the IEaus route(sydney accord) myself although I havent worked in that area for many years.Can link my present occupation closely with my quals so it keeps IEaus and Dimia happy.

The beauty of IEaus is that it was very painless-Compared to the ACS that I was otherwise having to go down it was easy.

4 weeks in total for mine(oct '03) to be passed and 60 points in the bag(engineering technologist )

If you choose this route get everything clearly certified and youshould be good to go.I contacted them myself before the middle of december to check if everything was looking OK and the lady on the phone actually checked and said the reults were on their way to my agent-thats service.
Ask away if you have any questions although my area is different to yours work wise
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

peterpam is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile tra

hi kerr,cant help you on iu,but have been advised if you can get as many refrences as poss they do accept that places you have worked at many moons ago may have closed so the odd gap in refrences is acceptable,as long as you state where you worked to fill in the gaps in your job history,and as long as you have been in your present jon for 18 out of the last 24 months you will be ok.sorry if not much help but im digging around like yourself and the feeling im getting is once youve cracked tra the rest will be easy
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Although I am an electrical design engineer, I went TRA instead of IEAust as I did a trade as a sparky & managed to link my current experience with my trade as I am sort of working in the same industry. I had some blank spots in my career path, I wrote down my experience with these companies & stated that I was unable to get references. I had some other documentation to prove that I worked with these companies (union card, UIF contribution card) as a spark. I got TRA.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:01 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: TRA or IEAust???

Hi KERR,

It all depends on what you are doing now, or have been doing in 12 of the last 18 months.

Qualification wise you should be ok with an apprenticeship & your HNC. The IEaust have defined idead of what an engineer dose every day, in regard to SATOR, and unless you are in chrage of other maintinence fitters or outside contractors you could find it hard to qualify.

Drop them an email and see what they both say.

Bye
Mark H