Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA - the beginning...

Wikiposts

TRA - the beginning...

Old Apr 20th 2005, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Default TRA - the beginning...

can anybody out there give me a few handy hints for putting together my TRA assessment. Basically, i haven't done a formal apprenticeship but loads of on job training with the Royal Navy, and have loads of text books etc. that i have used over the years. To show the training i have had, can i basically precis these handbooks(e.g. Electrical theory, Cable terminations, Battery theory, electrical tests, measuring instruments, tech drawing......... etc.) and also give detailed info of what my city and guilds certificates entailed- i actually have the instruction specifications handy? I'm managing to sort out my day to day work tasks ok, but for the educational/theory part, i'm a little overawed by the sheer depth that it is possible to go to.I know it's been said that you can't have too much info, but at the rate i'm finding stuff to submit, i'll be witnessing the death of the sun (the big orange thing-not the paper) before i finish writing it. Am i better off concentrating on the day to day work info, or is it better to have an equal mix of theory and practical, and try and find a happy medium??
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:11 am
Just Joined

paygee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TRA - the beginning...

What`s your trade? i went through a similiar situation from the navy and i had to provide a lot of `post navy` info , i got what they call a `provisional clasification` , i had to provide a really detailed description of my job , and then i had to wait a couple of months to meet their `deeming date` from which they decide i finished my apprenticeship but i`d recomend supplying them more than enough info to get yourself classified and keep it all cos you`ll need to supply it all again when you get here , its a joke but you do , oh and to add to the fun you need to pay twice too
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:52 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: TRA - the beginning...

Hi there
sorry can't help as our agent put everything together
just wanted to wish you good luck as this is the difficult bit.
Our agent did say the more detail the better though !!

Carole

Originally Posted by lilstewie
can anybody out there give me a few handy hints for putting together my TRA assessment. Basically, i haven't done a formal apprenticeship but loads of on job training with the Royal Navy, and have loads of text books etc. that i have used over the years. To show the training i have had, can i basically precis these handbooks(e.g. Electrical theory, Cable terminations, Battery theory, electrical tests, measuring instruments, tech drawing......... etc.) and also give detailed info of what my city and guilds certificates entailed- i actually have the instruction specifications handy? I'm managing to sort out my day to day work tasks ok, but for the educational/theory part, i'm a little overawed by the sheer depth that it is possible to go to.I know it's been said that you can't have too much info, but at the rate i'm finding stuff to submit, i'll be witnessing the death of the sun (the big orange thing-not the paper) before i finish writing it. Am i better off concentrating on the day to day work info, or is it better to have an equal mix of theory and practical, and try and find a happy medium??
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: TRA - the beginning...

Originally Posted by paygee
What`s your trade? i went through a similiar situation from the navy and i had to provide a lot of `post navy` info , i got what they call a `provisional clasification` , i had to provide a really detailed description of my job , and then i had to wait a couple of months to meet their `deeming date` from which they decide i finished my apprenticeship but i`d recomend supplying them more than enough info to get yourself classified and keep it all cos you`ll need to supply it all again when you get here , its a joke but you do , oh and to add to the fun you need to pay twice too
i am applying as an electrician-at the moment i am a POMEM(L) and hope to be assessed as an electrician special class or general electrician.i am going through all my history sheets (21 years worth) and basically describing every type of job i've been involved with. hopefully the TRA will give me the thumbs up.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

iansmiler is a jewel in the roughiansmiler is a jewel in the roughiansmiler is a jewel in the roughiansmiler is a jewel in the roughiansmiler is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: TRA - the beginning...

Hi, I am going throught the same process, I sent mine off on Wednsday (Electrician Special Class), I can let you see what I have sent if you want?

I spent 2 weeks preparing it, $500 applying for it and £46.50 to DHL it over there! If I don't get my trade recognised I'll spend 2 weeks crying!

I think the key is to look at what 'Electrician Special Class' actually involves, and then supply ONLY relevant information for this class that you are applying for. I am not really that 'hands on' any more, but I was advised by a migration agent not to put that in, in other words under sell myself so that I make the class.

Drop me an Email if you want a copy of my stuff,

good luck

Ian