Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA advice for Plasterers

TRA advice for Plasterers

Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all
Default Re: TRA advice for Plasterers

thanks that would be great1 i also don't have any formal qualifications,but have worked since 1987 as a plasterer. i done a time served but the company i worked for doesn't trade but got company house and i have all the rest employers. Also i have worked for the council now for 10years and my contract has job title plasterer will this be ok?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

Hi, yes i did put that in the stat dec, hubby has his own company, so we provided a business card, web address, accountants letter, CIS card, clients references, birth cert, invoices for materials, a list of clients and what jobs he did going back over 3 years. Thought we had covered it, as his employeer was my father, i was thinking of getting my mother do write a letter stating when he started with the company and putting in the letter that we workrked a 40 hour week, etc, etc, and what training he did, not sure if that would be acceptable. I did get a printout from Companies House regarding my fathers company going into liquidation after his death.

But all this was not enough. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Originally Posted by skyblue
Did you put in the statutary declaration that all former employers were deceased and if they are no longer trading you need to get proof from companies house?

When I started out Plastering I never went day release to school. Years later I took 6 months off work to do a full time plastering course which took about 5-6 months.

I think If you can prove the 20 years experience you won't need the NVQ.

Regards,
Ian
Old Aug 28th 2005, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

All i can suggest is on the tra form go thoroughly through each line of what they require you to send.If for any reason you can't provide it then put in a stat dec the reason why.

Did you ask or did they explain thier reasons for thier decision.To appeal I'm sure you will need to know where you went wrong.

I sent 8 fully detailed references from previous employers(going back 18 yrs),current employer and clients.In the employer references I wrote the reference and asked them to put it on letterheaded paper and sign it.Currently being self employed I got only 2 references from suppliers, yearly tax records, letter from accountant and business registration.

Will mail u a copy of stat dec if u want?

Originally Posted by midge04
Hi, yes i did put that in the stat dec, hubby has his own company, so we provided a business card, web address, accountants letter, CIS card, clients references, birth cert, invoices for materials, a list of clients and what jobs he did going back over 3 years. Thought we had covered it, as his employeer was my father, i was thinking of getting my mother do write a letter stating when he started with the company and putting in the letter that we workrked a 40 hour week, etc, etc, and what training he did, not sure if that would be acceptable. I did get a printout from Companies House regarding my fathers company going into liquidation after his death.

But all this was not enough. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 28th 2005, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

Yes i did that also, and i ticked each section as i copied it. The reason they gave was, 'evidence of work experience and training was insuffiicient to meet any of the available skill pathways'.

I have to say that in the stat dec i didnt list the amount of time i took learning each skill, maybe thats where i went wrong, i was too worried about listing my day-to-day activities instead i think, and listing each item of equipment used etc. I have no previous employers as they are deceased, was thinking about writing one myself and listing my hours, days, weeks, etc of training in each field, and getting the wife of my employer to sign it.

Just de-registered from VAT, so not sure what to do about that.

Cheers Jane.

All i can suggest is on the tra form go thoroughly through each line of what they require you to send.If for any reason you can't provide it then put in a stat dec the reason why.

Did you ask or did they explain thier reasons for thier decision.To appeal I'm sure you will need to know where you went wrong.

I sent 8 fully detailed references from previous employers(going back 18 yrs),current employer and clients.In the employer references I wrote the reference and asked them to put it on letterheaded paper and sign it.Currently being self employed I got only 2 references from suppliers, yearly tax records, letter from accountant and business registration.

Will mail u a copy of stat dec if u want?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Fibrous Plastering in Oz is Taping and jointing to those in the UK.

I applied as a Solid Plasterer with the relevant job code. Included in my application was my NVQ certs, references from all former employers and current employer stating I am a "Plasterer" and all listed the tasks I carry/carried out on a daily basis as said "Plasterer".

In my job description I stated that amongst other things I had scrimmed joints,filled holes etc in plasterboard's as that was part of my job too as a Plasterer. In 1 of my references from an employer it also stated I had done the aforementioned.

Now I would say as a Plasterer "taping and jointing" consisted of about 2% of my work schedule per year.

I was well chuffed though when I passed the TRA this week but as a Fibrous Plasterer and not Solid Plasterer even though on the form I stipulated Solid with the relevant job code and from all the info in my application it was obvious I am a Solid Plasterer.

I emailed TRA to explain everything and received the following back :

When assessing an application we rely on the evidence supplied by the
applicant to determine their level of skill and equivalent occupation in
Australia. Your NVQ was noted. Your employers statements were good,
however, most just stated that you are a plasterer. One occupation
(solid or fibrous plasterer) was not standing out. Then I got to the
statement covering your employment at xxxxx as a trainee. This
statement and others such as xxxxxx made a good case for you as a
fibrous plasterer. So, based on your evidence you were assessed as an
fibrous plasterer.

Please feel free to submit a review as per the instructions on your
"accept letter". TRA's current policy is that reviews are based solely
on the original application. No new evidence can be taken into account
during a review. The only way to submit new evidence is to re-apply with
a new application.

Just thought I would post this to any future Plasterers about to submit their TRA application.

As for me, "well don't fix what ain't broken" I say. Solid/Fibrous don't matter to me, onwards and upwards, no review will be submitted.
Hi

We are new to this and are just waiting for the agent to send forms through for TRA. Mike is a 'Plasterer' and although he has no formal qualifications, he started on a YTS 20 years ago, and he is still with the same company. He works on New Build properties. Do you reckon this will be enough? Any advice you could give would be grately appreciated!

Thanks

Jo & Mike
Old Oct 11th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

I applied as a Solid Plasterer with the relevant job code. Included in my application was my NVQ certs, references from all former employers and current employer stating I am a "Plasterer" and all listed the tasks I carry/carried out on a daily basis as said "Plasterer".

In my job description I stated that amongst other things I had scrimmed joints,filled holes etc in plasterboard's as that was part of my job too as a Plasterer. In 1 of my references from an employer it also stated I had done the aforementioned.

Now I would say as a Plasterer "taping and jointing" consisted of about 2% of my work schedule per year.

I was well chuffed though when I passed the TRA this week but as a Fibrous Plasterer and not Solid Plasterer even though on the form I stipulated Solid with the relevant job code and from all the info in my application it was obvious I am a Solid Plasterer.

fibrous plasterer.

a new application.

Just thought I would post this to any future Plasterers about to submit their TRA application.

As for me, "well don't fix what ain't broken" I say. Solid/Fibrous don't matter to me, onwards and upwards, no review will be submitted.
Congratulations you will be in oz in no time now. did i send you some templates? if i did ,did it help.where in oz are you going to.no plasters have heard of wet or dry dash here.render comes out of a big tin like paint with sand in it.all most no wet plastering inside all dry line tape and joint. have you seen the plastering box,s that is all that seems to be used.
rob, marie & terri.
Old Oct 11th 2005, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

cul8rm8e will become famous soon enoughcul8rm8e will become famous soon enough

Congratulations and well done!

i see that you mentioned you went alone on this withought an agent, i am also in the process of having a go at this myself but seem to have lost the plot a bit with the presentation side of things

Could you throw some tips my way as to how this was presented to them, i have been employed as a Plasterer since 1987 but have no formal Q`s and believe (from what i have heard so far) that you need to give them clear detail of what would be the start of your career as a Plasterer just as it would have been if you had gone through the training to gain your Q`s

Any tips would be much appreciated.

All the best

fibrous plasterer.

a new application.

Old Oct 11th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
Congratulations you will be in oz in no time now. did i send you some templates? if i did ,did it help.where in oz are you going to.no plasters have heard of wet or dry dash here.render comes out of a big tin like paint with sand in it.all most no wet plastering inside all dry line tape and joint. have you seen the plastering box,s that is all that seems to be used.
rob, marie & terri.
Hi

Thanks for the reply. We have just received the documents and TRA forms today! Going to do our best to get them done asap. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks again

Jo & Mike
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

fibrous plasterer.

a new application.

Hi Skyblue

Please could you email me a copy of your stat dec, just for comparison, to make sure mine is enough! Dont want to send it in until I'm sure.
Cheers again

Mike
Old Oct 12th 2005, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mike&jo
Hi Skyblue

Please could you email me a copy of your stat dec, just for comparison, to make sure mine is enough! Dont want to send it in until I'm sure.
Cheers again

Mike
pm me your email and i will send you some stuff