Tra

Old Mar 6th 2003, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tra

good news, we got our TRA back today.Now we have got to get on with our visa application:scared: dont know wether to apply for STNI or skilled indipendant visa, What are the pros and cons of STNI?can any one help!!!!! I have got make a desision Quick .
wombat
Old Mar 6th 2003, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

good new , we got ours back on Monday. well we re going on a skilled indpendent because we are going o Perth because of family and it takes quite a while to come through- i suppose with the STNI you get sponsored by the state and that is where you go and i think that there might be a set period of time that you have to live here(dont quote me) but this visa seens to come through a lot quciker than an independent so really you need to weigh up whether a) you are in a rush to get out there and dont mind where you are going and b) do you have a state in mind and not in a rush - hope this helps
Old Mar 6th 2003, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tra

Originally posted by wombat
good news, we got our TRA back today.Now we have got to get on with our visa application:scared: dont know wether to apply for STNI or skilled indipendant visa, What are the pros and cons of STNI?can any one help!!!!! I have got make a desision Quick .
wombat

If you have the pass mark or more in points, then the Independent route is available to you. This has the advantage that you have not committed yourself to any particular state.

If you are having problems gaining enough points for the Independent route, but you have a skill that is in demand in a particular state and you can show that you would be prepared to make a go of it in that state, then the STNI route is the way to go. One advantage of the STNI route is that you are then fast tracked through the DIMIA. You may consider the commitment to the state to be a disadvantage – but then if it’s a state you wanted to live in anyway, then its no disadvantage at all.

You can also apply for the Independent visa whilst waiting on the STNI result even if you only have sufficient points for the pool mark. Then once you get STNI, you hit the fast track and pop out with a PR in a few months. (This was the route I took, Independent application made in June / July 2002, after other delays, STNI applied for a bit later, STNI received in September and PR granted in November.)

Joe
Old Mar 6th 2003, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi joe could you run through what u did for your pr when you were state nominated.

i would like to go state nominated as it will be easier but i also want to live in perth

wombat

the stni usually comes through within 4 to 6 months

you have to then live in the nominated state for 2 years minimum

you will be surveyed on job situation and housing i think to make sure you stay inthat sate for the time given

if you are worried about points and on a time limit go for this option

dan
Old Mar 6th 2003, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by danjon16
hi joe could you run through what u did for your pr when you were state nominated.

i would like to go state nominated as it will be easier but i also want to live in perth

dan
Hmm not sure what you mean by ‘what u did for your PR when you were state nominated’

I’d already applied for Skilled Independent via my Agent in the UK even though I was 5 points short of the then Pass Mark – he suggested almost as an aside that as I was wanting to live in Victoria, then maybe I should try for STNI. So I did.

When the STNI came through, I just had to provide the good folks in the Victorian Government STNI office, with my visa application reference number. The Vic Gov office then contacted the DIMIA directly and the rest is history. I was fast tracked out of the pool and the Vic Gov office suggested that I get my police checks and medical done ahead of being asked for them and just send them off to the DIMIA once I had the results. I was asked for a little more detail regarding my work experience history by the DIMIA and then the next I had was the pre grant notification on the 14th November 2002. I collected the Visa stamp in person from Australia House in London and that’s that.. one PR vias.

Was this what you wanted?

Not sure if there is an STNI option for perth, not an area I was interested in. (too many flies and moaning british expats... ,<only joking> )

Joe
Old Mar 6th 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi joe

sorry i thought you meant you were accepted to oz with a stni visa and one month later in oz you were able to change this to a pr visa therefore able to move anywhere in australia. perth does not operate stni otherwise everybody would try that one.

but what you gave me was what i wanted, thanks for the info.

how much work experience did they ask for?

thanks again

dan
Old Mar 6th 2003, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by danjon16
hi joe

sorry i thought you meant you were accepted to oz with a stni visa and one month later in oz you were able to change this to a pr visa therefore able to move anywhere in australia. perth does not operate stni otherwise everybody would try that one.

but what you gave me was what i wanted, thanks for the info.

how much work experience did they ask for?

thanks again

dan

Ahh I see.
STNI isn’t a visa, and also doesn’t in itself guarantee a Permanent Residency visa at the end of the day. You still have to satisfy the Pool mark and other requirements of the DIMIA.

There is a set number of years of experience required, which I had provided evidence for, but for some reason they wanted me to go back 5 years – my agent said he didn’t understand why, but I just complied and provided all the details, I wasn’t going to question the DIMIA.

As for the STNI, I just had to provide a copy of my CV and any I opted to provide additional supporting information including a couple of references – as the Gov Official said to me, it could do no harm, and the aim is to give the STNI board as good a feeling about your desires and abilities as possible.

Joe