Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TRA – Advice wanted regarding employer verifiable statements

TRA – Advice wanted regarding employer verifiable statements

Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

MartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to all
Question TRA – Advice wanted regarding employer verifiable statements

Help! I’ve had quite a few jobs over the 18 years since finishing my apprenticeship and some of these companies have since gone bust? Does anyone know where I stand on verifiable statements from these? I’m possibly able to track down ex-management and could produce a statement for them to sign, but as these won’t be on headed paper will these be sufficient? I'd welcome any advice. Cheers!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:11 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA – Advice wanted regarding employer verifiable statements

Originally Posted by MartUK
Help! I’ve had quite a few jobs over the 18 years since finishing my apprenticeship and some of these companies have since gone bust? Does anyone know where I stand on verifiable statements from these? I’m possibly able to track down ex-management and could produce a statement for them to sign, but as these won’t be on headed paper will these be sufficient? I'd welcome any advice. Cheers!
Hi there

We were in EXACTLY the same position for a couple of my hubby's ex-companies... we did the following:

1. Go to Companies House website & do a web search on the name of the business. This generates a report which you can print out F.O.C.

2. Do a stat dec covering when you worked there, why you cannot supply a reference, & detail your duties whilst there.

These 2 documents will back each other up. Our agent agreed this was the best way to approach this type of situation.

If you want to see what we sent, please just let me know & I can sent examples...

Claire
x
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:17 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

We had a similiar problem with my husbands references. The company he carried out his apprenticeship with no longer existed as a building firm, but carried on the funeral directors side of the business (strange combination I know). We got one of the bosses from the funeral side, who knew my husband when he worked for the building side to write a reference. Well, we wrote it, he signed it! It was on the funerals letter-headed paper. Our agent said as long as the person writing the reference had a more senior role than my husband, it would be ok. Ex-bosses should be fine I'd have thought, if they work for a company and wrote reference on their letterheaded paper, wouldnt have thought it would have been a problem. If you're using an agent, check with them. Our TRA came back yes.

We didnt need references from all his employers, as we only needed to prove he had done the job for 15 years I think it was. So the 3 references we had covered that and we didnt need to bother with his self employment, which was a huge relief.

Failing that, I think you can write a sworn statement or something similiar, to say you've had this job and were doing it for X amount of years.

Hope this helps.

Jo
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Hello MarkUK

Gathering all those things together can be really difficult. One ex-employer had died and the business ceased. Another ex-employer was overseas, which probably still does not exist.

Basically our agent was mostly interested in the last 10 years for full detail. What you cannot get you must put into a Statutory Declaration and have signed by a solicitor.

By the way the man who had died, we managed to track down his son who was running another company. He gave us some of his headed paper (different company) and asked us to put on there whatever we needed and then he signed it for us. Just explained that his father had employed my husband over 20 years ago and the business had since ceased to trade. Very basic but it covered us.

Hope that helps
Theresa
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

MartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to all
Smile Re: TRA – Advice wanted regarding employer verifiable statements

Thanks for the tips guys they were really helpful. I'll get working on this right away and will post when I've got some news.

Mart

Last edited by MartUK; Apr 7th 2005 at 9:25 am. Reason: don't think I did this right
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

scottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nicescottyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi there

1. Go to Companies House website & do a web search on the name of the business. This generates a report which you can print out F.O.C.

Claire
x
Hay Claire.

Used your link to companies house and got a report on an old company that dissolved printed out.
Nice one, cheers.

Scotty.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 10:36 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyboy
Hay Claire.

Used your link to companies house and got a report on an old company that dissolved printed out.
Nice one, cheers.

Scotty.
Scotty

No worries - I am surprised that more people don't know about it!

Best of luck hun

Claire
x
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: TRA – Advice wanted regarding employer verifiable statements

Just found out through companies house that the company Hubby did his electricians apprenticeship under have gone into liquidation - I know that now means we have to provide a statutory declaration and would be VERY grateful if someone could tell us the exact details needed on the declaration so we dont foul it up

Thanks

Karen xxx