Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TPG - Copyright Infringement notice

TPG - Copyright Infringement notice

Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default TPG - Copyright Infringement notice

I am not a saint, but I received today an email from TPG letting me know about a copyright infringement notice for downloading "Conan the Barbarian" through Bittorrent. I was wondering how was that if I don't have any file with this name until I realised that my business partner was connected today to my WIFI network and indeed he had the file which he downloaded P2P from his home (not from mine I'm sure).

Long story short - So it seems that his computer sent the info from my IP to the people in charge to communicate to TPG etc.. I have a strong alibi as the file wasn't in my computer but should I be concerned about getting this kind of emails from my internet supplier? and until what extend I can be (or I should be) bothered with this matter?

Cheers

MAR

PS. Please note that I am not making any judgement or supporting any action nor looking for a technical solution, just until what extend this notice would have legal implications.

Last edited by MAR001; Nov 29th 2011 at 8:14 am.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TPG - Copyright Infringement notice

Why would some one want to download Conan the Barbarian!!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I was wondering the same!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:01 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
It does have Rachel Nichols.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:13 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I dont claim to be a technical wizard but would it even be possible for him to connect to your wi fi if he was in his home rather then yours? Unless he lives next door of course.....
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajw
I dont claim to be a technical wizard but would it even be possible for him to connect to your wi fi if he was in his home rather then yours? Unless he lives next door of course.....
He downloaded and saw the file-movie this week from his home and he connected today in the morning to my WIFI.

I got the complaint notification today by email while was connected from here.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Big Brother is watching.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 8:27 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so he transferred the file into his torrent client while connected to your system but didnt actually begin the download until connected to his own internet connection? I would have thought the ISP would have been more concerned about the actual file download itself rather than accessing the torrent site. Weird.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajw
Right, so he transferred the file into his torrent client while connected to your system but didnt actually begin the download until connected to his own internet connection? I would have thought the ISP would have been more concerned about the actual file download itself rather than accessing the torrent site. Weird.
Hard to explain...

1. Last or this week, he transferred the file into his torrent client while connected to his internet at his home internet connection and he saw the movie. He closed the connection and stored the movie.

2. Today, he came home to work and connected to my internet just for surfing (not torrents or movies involved) and it seems that somehow his computer sent the info about the file/movie (stored) in his computer with my IP while connected in my house and then I received the notification email with the exact name of the file/move he has stored in his laptop, like if a movie with this name was downloaded from my IP while he was connected (which I am pretty sure it wasn't)

Last edited by MAR001; Nov 29th 2011 at 9:39 am.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:39 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
... should I be concerned about getting this kind of emails from my internet supplier? and until what extend I can be (or I should be) bothered with this matter?
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...q=infringement
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Torrents are crap anyway.

Just use a SSL encrypted newsgroup, been downloading 200gb + a month on TPG and not heard a peep.

Bye the way you're still not making sense. What does their email say?
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

This is the complete email that I received:

Dear Customer XXX

Attached is an email that TPG has received complaining about certain
conduct. The IP address and timestamps provided by the complainant
indicate that the conduct occurred over your TPG Service.

Infringement IP address: 60.240.XX.XXX
Infringement timestamp (SYD): 2011-11-29 09:50:04

TPG does not condone the use of TPG Services for activities which are
offensive, illegal, or infringe on the legal rights of other persons.
Such activities are expressly stated in your agreement with us as being
a basis on which TPG may suspend or terminate the supply of services to
you.

It is alleged in the attached complaint that you, or someone authorised
by you, have engaged in such an activity. If you agree that you did
engage in the activity, please cease it immediately. If you do not
believe that you have engaged in the activity complained about or you
believe that the activity is not illegal, offensive or an infringement
of another person's rights, please contact the complainant as soon as
possible and explain your position to them.

If you have any questions about this email or our Terms and Conditions,
please contact Customer Service on [email protected] or
13 14 23.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Internet Abuse Team
TPG Internet

E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 13 14 23
Fax: 02 9850 0813

Subject: Notice ID: 131-28371498 Notice of Unauthorized Use of Lionsgate Films Property
Date: 29 November 2011 11:01:35 GMT+11:00
Reply-To: [email protected]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Notice ID: 131-28371498
Notice Date: 28 Nov 2011 23:57:02 GMT

TPG Internet Pty Ltd.

Dear Sir or Madam:

Irdeto Silicon Valley, Inc. (hereinafter referred to as "Irdeto") swears under penalty of perjury Lionsgate Films has authorized Irdeto to act as its non-exclusive agent for copyright infringement notification. Irdeto's search of the protocol listed below has detected infringements of Lionsgate Films copyright interests on your IP addresses as detailed in the below report.

Irdeto has reasonable good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of in the below report is not authorized by Lionsgate Films, its agents, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Therefore, this letter is an official notification to effect removal of the detected infringement listed in the below report. The below documentation specifies the exact location of the infringement.

We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user refrains from using or sharing with others unauthorized Lionsgate Films materials in the future (see, 17 U.S.C. 512).

Further, we believe that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.

Please respond indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter. The provided link has been assigned to this matter. http://webreply.baytsp.com/webreply/...1dd9fb2b854fdb

For email correspondence, please reference the above Notice ID in the subject line. mailto:[email protected]?subject=RE%3A%20Notice%20ID%3A%2013 1%2D28371498%20Notice%20of%20Unauthorized%20Use%20 of%20Lionsgate%20Films%20Property

Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of Lionsgate Films with respect to the alleged infringement, all of which are expressly reserved. Should you need to contact me, I may be reached at the below address.

Regards,

Osama Hussain Esq.
In-House Counsel
Irdeto (fka BayTSP.COM Inc.) - as an Authorized Agent of Lionsgate Films
3255-3 Scott Blvd. Suite 101 Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: 408-492-8500 fax: 408-727-6743
[email protected]

*pgp public key is available on the key server at http://pgp.mit.edu

Note: The information transmitted in this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, reproduction, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

This infringement notice contains an XML tag that can be used to automate the processing of this data. If you would like more information on how to use this tag please contact Irdeto.

Evidentiary Information:
Notice ID: 131-28371498
Initial Infringement Timestamp: 28 Nov 2011 22:50:04 GMT
Recent Infringement Timestamp: 28 Nov 2011 22:50:04 GMT
Infringers IP Address: 60.240.XX.XXX
Protocol: BitTorrent
Infringed Work: Conan the Barbarian
Infringing File Name: Conan the Barbarian (2011) DVDRip XviD-MAXSPEED
Infringing File Size: 1527557703
Bay ID: 0d7a2a89bbfd09360dec265c65530203db5027ca|152755770 3
Port ID: 50380
Infringer's DNS Name: 60-240-XX-XXX.tpgi.com.au
Infringer's User Name:

- ---Start ACNS XML
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Infringement xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.movielabs.com/ACNS http://www.movielabs.com/ACNS/ACNS2v1.xsd" xmlns="http://www.movielabs.com/ACNS" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Case>
<ID>131-28371498</ID>
<Status>Open</Status>
</Case>
<Complainant>
<Entity>Irdeto</Entity>
<Contact>Osama Hussain Esq., In-House Counsel</Contact>
<Address>3255-3 Scott Blvd. Suite 101, Santa Clara, California 95054 United States of America</Address>
<Phone>408-492-8500,408-727-6743</Phone>
<Email>[email protected]</Email>
</Complainant>
<Service_Provider>
<Entity>TPG Internet Pty Ltd.</Entity>
<Address></Address>
<Email>[email protected]</Email>
</Service_Provider>
<Source>
<TimeStamp>2011-11-28T22:50:04.000Z</TimeStamp>
<IP_Address>60.240.XX.XXX</IP_Address>
<Port>50380</Port>
<DNS_Name>60-240-XX-XXX.tpgi.com.au</DNS_Name>
<Type>BitTorrent</Type>
<UserName></UserName>
<Number_Files>1</Number_Files>
<Deja_Vu>No</Deja_Vu>
</Source>
<Content>
<Item>
<TimeStamp>2011-11-28T22:50:04.000Z</TimeStamp>
<Title>Conan the Barbarian</Title>
<FileName>Conan the Barbarian (2011) DVDRip XviD-MAXSPEED</FileName>
<FileSize>1527557703</FileSize>
<URL>http://tracker.torrent.to:2710/announce</URL>
</Item>
</Content>
</Infringement>
- ---End ACNS XML
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: 8.0

iEYEARECAAYFAk7UIN8ACgkQ1kzXJn33iYMwtwCfQa0QIIwOmN fk4YSl3o6tJVNS
6x4AnRCCVk4PP9szQrFASD3ILm5yF9oX
=lFpn
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

And this is the info of the file, which is stored in my business partner's laptop (downloaded, watched and stored last week), not in any of my computers.

<Title>Conan the Barbarian</Title>
<FileName>Conan the Barbarian (2011) DVDRip XviD-MAXSPEED</FileName>
<FileSize>1527557703</FileSize>
<URL>http://tracker.torrent.to:2710/announce</URL>

He just connected today to surf, not to download or watch movies so physically the movie was not downloaded from here but his computer sent the info from my internet connection.

Btw: he told me that he uses to do that and he never has received any email from his suppliers (don't know what it is)

Hope it makes more sense now...

Last edited by MAR001; Nov 29th 2011 at 9:58 am.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Sounds like he downloaded it and has left his bittorrent client running while on your network thus he was sharing it using an IP address assigned by TPG to you.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

IGNORE IT

If you do want to reply then phone TPG and tell them you "had" an unsecured wireless access point and have now added security passwords to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.