Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Townsville and Rockhampton - any opinions

Wikiposts

Townsville and Rockhampton - any opinions

Old Jul 15th 2006, 7:41 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Townsville and Rockhampton - any opinions

Morning

Well fingers crossed 8-9 weeks until we are on the plane to start our new life in Oz. Had our reccie to Perth and Brisbane and have decided to go for Queensland, although Perth was beautiful and we loved it.

Husband is a maintenance fitter so he can pretty much work anywhere and I am a teacher so hopefully I will be okay too.

We are flying into Brisbane and at first thought we would try and find work somewhere along the sunshine coast. During our trip we went as far north as Noosa and liked the whole coast. However we are now thinking and wondering what it is like north of Noosa.

A few jobs are coming up in Mackay and Rockhampton and Townsville and we are wondering what these places are like to live in and whether land is cheaper. Have had a little look on google images and Townsville looks lovely.

If any of you have been to these places, or even better live there we would love to hear from you. Also if you know of any quarries, smelter works, mines etc in those areas we would love to have their details.

Thanks everyone
Old Jul 15th 2006, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Townsville and Rockhampton - any opinions

Originally Posted by Vernons
Morning

Well fingers crossed 8-9 weeks until we are on the plane to start our new life in Oz. Had our reccie to Perth and Brisbane and have decided to go for Queensland, although Perth was beautiful and we loved it.

Husband is a maintenance fitter so he can pretty much work anywhere and I am a teacher so hopefully I will be okay too.

We are flying into Brisbane and at first thought we would try and find work somewhere along the sunshine coast. During our trip we went as far north as Noosa and liked the whole coast. However we are now thinking and wondering what it is like north of Noosa.

A few jobs are coming up in Mackay and Rockhampton and Townsville and we are wondering what these places are like to live in and whether land is cheaper. Have had a little look on google images and Townsville looks lovely.

If any of you have been to these places, or even better live there we would love to hear from you. Also if you know of any quarries, smelter works, mines etc in those areas we would love to have their details.

Thanks everyone
In about 8 - 9 weeks all of the above will be getting hot hot hot, you would be best off flying up and seeing if the climate is for you, its certainly not for everyone, some stunning countryside along the coast but heat can be as tropical as it looks. Inland more barren dry but hot or hotter.

Should be lots of posts on all those places do a search .
Old Jul 15th 2006, 8:59 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the heat factor is a worry, all those storms as well.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 9:24 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Morning

Thanks everyone

We moved to Townsville just last month and it's absolutely beautiful here. It's very tropical and I love it. It certainly does get very hot (and wet) in the summer but we came over in February on holiday and we soon started to acclimatise. The winters are normally warm and sunny but it is currently raining! If you do a search on Townsville you should find some posts about it from Rabc and jimtrish who have been out here longer than me. There are certainly plenty of mines here but I'm afraid I don't have any details.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations on the imminent departure! It's been some time since I was either in Rockie or Townsville but from what I remember Townsville was much nicer. Townsville felt much more relaxed and chilled out and while both are certainly working towns, in Townsville this wasn't as evident - perhaps this is because industry in Townsville is more diversified with a good service industry as well as secondary manufacturing. Rockie felt to have its feet firmly based in agriculture (it being the main export route for cattle out of Australia) and I think this may have made it feel a little less cosmopolitan. It will be stinking hot the further north you go but personally I love the heat and humidity. Townsville has the advantage of Magnetic Island a short ferry ride away - this island is truly a stunning tropical paradise with fantastic beaches and no cars on the roads - only mini mokes. Again may be worth noting that there's no beach in Townsville, but they can be accessed a little further up the coast. Also the further north you go the less likely you are to have any surf at all - quite like the Mediterranean - because of the Barrier Reef. And also the further north you go the more likely box jellyfish will be a problem - during the hot summer months when you'd love to take a dip. Some beaches do have nets however.

I have a very good friend in Townsville who moved back south briefly but just missed the place too much and is constantly at me to move there!

If you can at all spend some time getting to know the places before making a decision - what suits one person may not suit another and who knows on the journey north you may see the perfect little place you can can your own patch of paradise!

Good luck.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:11 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryed
Again may be worth noting that there's no beach in Townsville
yes there is

the rest of your post is spot on though
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

harryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the roughharryed is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The A Team
yes there is

the rest of your post is spot on though
DOH! Must have been blinded by Maggie

from http://www.townsvilleholidays.info/r...9-D529BBB1A342

The Townsville Strand is undoubtedly one of the best inner city beachfronts in Australia.

Awarded “Queensland’s Clean Beach of the Year 2003”, this stunning 2.5km promenade is bursting with colour, activity and atmosphere complete with unbeatable views across Cleveland Bay and Magnetic Island.

The Strand beachfront literally frames the Townsville city centre within easy walking distance of inner city accommodation, attractions and facilities.

This magnificent inner city beachfront is lined with accommodation properties, restaurants, bars, cafes, swimming

enclosures, barbeque and picnic facilities, children’s playgrounds, a children’s water park, walking paths, parks, gardens, exercise and recreational facilities and more….

The Strand is ever-changing and always a hub of activity!

The Strand has become an intrinsic part of the wonderful lifestyle of North Queensland. ….here you can meet with the locals, watch the world pass by and soak up the relaxed tropical atmosphere that typifies life in the tropics.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 12:54 am
cheeky tart

Originally Posted by harryed
DOH! Must have been blinded by Maggie

from http://www.townsvilleholidays.info/r...9-D529BBB1A342

The Townsville Strand is undoubtedly one of the best inner city beachfronts in Australia.

Awarded “Queensland’s Clean Beach of the Year 2003”, this stunning 2.5km promenade is bursting with colour, activity and atmosphere complete with unbeatable views across Cleveland Bay and Magnetic Island.

The Strand beachfront literally frames the Townsville city centre within easy walking distance of inner city accommodation, attractions and facilities.

This magnificent inner city beachfront is lined with accommodation properties, restaurants, bars, cafes, swimming

enclosures, barbeque and picnic facilities, children’s playgrounds, a children’s water park, walking paths, parks, gardens, exercise and recreational facilities and more….

The Strand is ever-changing and always a hub of activity!

The Strand has become an intrinsic part of the wonderful lifestyle of North Queensland. ….here you can meet with the locals, watch the world pass by and soak up the relaxed tropical atmosphere that typifies life in the tropics.
That's more like the Townsville beach I know!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:05 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning

Thanks everyone
Hiya
I live in Yeppoon which is 30km east of Rocky...on the coast. Rocky is a typical city...although kept very clean and tidy. A lot of peeps work in Rocky and stay here(hubby works for a mining company in Rocky) he says it is the most leisurely drive to work he has ever had.

We love it here in Yeppoon...the house prices are on the rise, but if u get in quick u r certain to make a bloody fortune. With regards the heat...................we have been here 2 years past last month....have come thro one of the hottest summers on record....and have used the air con twice.........the heat is no worries....the storms...are ****** awesome.......we just love it here....if u need any further info just get in touch

H
Old Jul 16th 2006, 2:43 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Thanks guys,

It sounds great and from what I have seen on the internet I love the look of Townsville, OH half is still concerned that it is a bit too far north but I am sure I can convince him otherwise!

We have decided to spend a week in Caloundra when we arrive and check out work opportunities around the sunshine coast and then we are going to get back in our hire car and head up to Townsville and stop off at Rocky and Mackay and other places.

It is very exciting being able to go anywhere but a bit daunting too!!

Any more infor on these areas would be great, it is fantastic to here from people who have done it.

Also any info on mines and quarries in those regions would be gratefully received. One final question, any idea what land is selling for up in those parts, we have decided we definaltly want to build and was it a problem getting your container up that far? We have found it to be really expensive even to just 100k of Brisbane!

Thanks
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:27 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys,

It sounds great and from what I have seen on the internet I love the look of Townsville, OH half is still concerned that it is a bit too far north but I am sure I can convince him otherwise!

We have decided to spend a week in Caloundra when we arrive and check out work opportunities around the sunshine coast and then we are going to get back in our hire car and head up to Townsville and stop off at Rocky and Mackay and other places.

It is very exciting being able to go anywhere but a bit daunting too!!

Any more infor on these areas would be great, it is fantastic to here from people who have done it.

Also any info on mines and quarries in those regions would be gratefully received. One final question, any idea what land is selling for up in those parts, we have decided we definaltly want to build and was it a problem getting your container up that far? We have found it to be really expensive even to just 100k of Brisbane!

Thanks
www.capricorncoast.com.au
Old Jul 16th 2006, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

On your trip up north take a detour into Woodgate which is just north of Hervey Bay as the crow flies, but because of the river it's about an hours drive from there. If it's cheap land your after this is a good option plus it's on town water as well. It is however very rural (very!) and isolated but beside a beautiful beach and real chill out vibe (some would say boring). Employmentwise not sure how you guys'd be fixed - don't know of any quarries/mines in the area. If work is going to be the biggest issue in helping you decide where to settle then why not check out the Queensland government department of state development website; http://www.sdi.qld.gov.au This provides all the information you need on an area including it's economy, principal industries and infrastructure. Any of the real estate websites should give you info on price of land.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 6:36 pm
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Hi

Thanks for the website, it sounds really useful and will help us rule out some areas.

Thanks again
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Morning

Thanks everyone

I liked Mackay, yes there is a large industrial side to it (coal and salt works), but we didn't physically 'see' any of these, plus they're part of the area and provide jobs, fuel etc Wasn't keen on Sarina (just north of Mackay) but I think that was because it was so undeveloped. Rocky, ahhh bless it! The whole area made me laugh as I counted over 11 fibro cows, but on the whole it was ok! Bundy was nice too until we got to the bridge where the British backpacker was murdered, sent shivers down me and I wanted to go home!!!
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:07 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by glittababe
I liked Mackay, yes there is a large industrial side to it (coal and salt works), but we didn't physically 'see' any of these, plus they're part of the area and provide jobs, fuel etc Wasn't keen on Sarina (just north of Mackay) but I think that was because it was so undeveloped. Rocky, ahhh bless it! The whole area made me laugh as I counted over 11 fibro cows, but on the whole it was ok! Bundy was nice too until we got to the bridge where the British backpacker was murdered, sent shivers down me and I wanted to go home!!!
Sarina is half an hour south of Mackay. It smells awful during the crush (ethanol refinery). The nearest salt works are at Bowen. The nearest coal mine to Mackay is 2-3 hours away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.