British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Townsville: Rednecks and Military?????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/townsville-rednecks-military-434299/)

tripawaymars Mar 13th 2007 10:52 am

Townsville: Rednecks and Military??????

I have read many of your posts on this forum and also stuff from backpackers in Oz and people who have visited Townsville for a short time only.

All I keep rreading about is rednecks and that Townsville is full of them. How does this affect day to day living in Townsville? i am also aware there is a large military base..I have nothing against soldiers personally but dont want my Fri/Sat night out surrounded by large groups of them in a paraletic state!! Are there aprticular areas where they drink..is it possible to get away ffrom this?? Is it possible to live in an area where they can be avoided??
I have also heard that the aboriginals are often drunk in the centre of Townsville shouting abuse...isthis true??

I have a lot of questions as whne you look at Tourist Board sites and info about Townsville generally it looks a good place to live. I have also read this forum and many people..with families..seem to be happy living there.

I have been offered a very good job..it is a way of getting into Oz..my partner has been offered a good job..transferring with the one they have here..providing I can get permanent residecy ( I am in medical field and my profession on highly wanted list). I however, want to feel happy and safe where I will be living!!

Mind you, I do live in Manchester at the moment and hate it!!!!!

Thanks for all who do provide input on the forum, a valuable resource.
We are spending a few days in Townsville in August, on e being a Friday night, so maybe we just need to make our own minds up!!

pumpkin blossom Mar 13th 2007 6:20 pm

Re: Townsville: Rednecks and Military??????

I am trying to get sponsored for a job in Townsville. We only spent a couple of days there while backpacking, and didn't like it much, but now I look at the houses we could afford there and would give anything to get there.

We are also in Manchester, and as far as I'm conserned, anywhere is better than here. And you don't have to stay there forever if you don't like it.

Good luck

tripawaymars Mar 13th 2007 8:41 pm

Hi

Keep me updated with how you get on..have you applied for Visa yet? Where in manchester are you?? My job offer is so good i could do a few years and move on..have looked at new estate..fairfield waters..it is really nice so I don't think it would be that bad to live..sun, sand nice islands nearby...snorkelling and great bike roads...um..manchester, rain or Townsville sun..let me think about it!!!!

jules29 Mar 13th 2007 10:03 pm

The number of people moving from Manchester to Townsville its going to feel like home anyway:)

tripawaymars Mar 13th 2007 11:32 pm

Pumpkin Blossonm

What didn't you like about TOWNSVILLE??? Why ahve you changed your mind and would go there now!!!

Lizx

youngy73 Mar 14th 2007 6:53 am

Originally Posted by tripawaymars (Post 4512796)
I have read many of your posts on this forum and also stuff from backpackers in Oz and people who have visited Townsville for a short time only.

All I keep rreading about is rednecks and that Townsville is full of them. How does this affect day to day living in Townsville? i am also aware there is a large military base..I have nothing against soldiers personally but dont want my Fri/Sat night out surrounded by large groups of them in a paraletic state!! Are there aprticular areas where they drink..is it possible to get away ffrom this?? Is it possible to live in an area where they can be avoided??
I have also heard that the aboriginals are often drunk in the centre of Townsville shouting abuse...isthis true??

I have a lot of questions as whne you look at Tourist Board sites and info about Townsville generally it looks a good place to live. I have also read this forum and many people..with families..seem to be happy living there.

I have been offered a very good job..it is a way of getting into Oz..my partner has been offered a good job..transferring with the one they have here..providing I can get permanent residecy ( I am in medical field and my profession on highly wanted list). I however, want to feel happy and safe where I will be living!!

We are spending a few days in Townsville in August, on e being a Friday night, so maybe we just need to make our own minds up!!

why should a city in oz be any different to manchester? cities are the same the world over. ther is good and bad wherever you go. just take the job and if you dont like it, move on. if your highly skilled work should not be an issue.

Mouse the Dingo Mar 14th 2007 7:05 am

Originally Posted by tripawaymars (Post 4514900)
Hi

Keep me updated with how you get on..have you applied for Visa yet? Where in manchester are you?? My job offer is so good i could do a few years and move on..have looked at new estate..fairfield waters..it is really nice so I don't think it would be that bad to live..sun, sand nice islands nearby...snorkelling and great bike roads...um..manchester, rain or Townsville sun..let me think about it!!!!

Living in the sun is one thing but have you ever lived with humidity, it zaps the life out of you. The aircon has to be on all the time and you sweat constantly. The sun is great but I bet you won't spend more than 10 minutes in it when the humidity hits you. Give me a rainy day in Manchester with a decent pub anyday just to rejuvenate my energy. I have 2 women in my work both in their 50's born and bred Townsville, said they would never go back as the humidity is a killer, I won't tell you what they said about the locals as this may just be their opinion. Good luck and at least you will be near the great barrier reef for long weekends.

brisnick Mar 14th 2007 7:06 am

My Aussie girlfriends sister, and her Irish boyfriend (following me) lived in Townsville for a couple of years before heading to Ireland for a while. They are both now wanting to come back to Townsville. I doubt they would if it was Rednecks and Military only! Neither of them grew up there of anywhere close, so they must have liked it!

I've been there a number of times, and while it pales into insignificance against what a vibrant city like Brisbane has to offer (and by that I mean if you eat out often and expect nice restaurants, bars, etc), I didn't find anything really wrong with it either.

youngy73 Mar 14th 2007 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Mouse the Dingo (Post 4516575)
Living in the sun is one thing but have you ever lived with humidity, it zaps the life out of you. The aircon has to be on all the time and you sweat constantly. The sun is great but I bet you won't spend more than 10 minutes in it when the humidity hits you. Give me a rainy day in Manchester with a decent pub anyday just to rejuvenate my energy. I have 2 women in my work both in their 50's born and bred Townsville, said they would never go back as the humidity is a killer, I won't tell you what they said about the locals as this may just be their opinion. Good luck and at least you will be near the great barrier reef for long weekends.

if they were born and bred in townsville they must be talking about themselves. the humidity is nothing to worry about. i cant understand what all the fuss is about. drink plenty of water and youll be fine. some people like to piss and moan i reckon. im sure manchester is lovely but when my mate was at uni there in the early 90's it was a shit hole. just my opinion of course.

tripawaymars Mar 14th 2007 12:39 pm

Youngy 73...
Thanks for the info..I hate Manchester..only up here to study..I am from sunny Bournemouth..or at least it used to get sunny!! I will be in an air conditioned office for my job and I am sure that the humidity is something that you get used to anyway..better than rain every day nearly!! Most responses I have are positive..also looking at Cairns and Sunshine State but the offer I have had is a good one and I probably wont get as good anywhere else!!

Thanks
liz

OzTennis Mar 14th 2007 12:46 pm

Traditionally (to Victorians anyway) Queensland, particularly north of Brisbane is::D

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...Wonderland.jpg

OzTennis :)

Rabc Mar 14th 2007 12:49 pm

Dont believe everything you read. The military integrate into the community and you can't easily tell them apart unless they are in uniform. No issue at all.

As for rednecks, they live here, Townsville is a provincial town in north tropical queensland. Leave them alone and they will leave you alone. (unless you are breaking a Landcruiser ute :) )

OzTennis Mar 14th 2007 1:41 pm

"I will tell you this boy", here in the UK they are showing 2 episodes of Rab C each week on Paramount 2 channel (tonight as it happens). Compulsory viewing in our household.

OzTennis :)

esperanza Mar 14th 2007 2:24 pm

i am also aware there is a large military base..I have nothing against soldiers personally but dont want my Fri/Sat night out surrounded by large groups of them in a paraletic state!! Are there aprticular areas where they drink..is it possible to get away ffrom this?? Is it possible to live in an area where they can be avoided??

What's the problem with soldiers? If there was a large hospital would you be worried about groups of doctors drinking?! The guys in the forces are ordinary people, with friends in and out of uniform and when they are out drinking they are just guys out drinking, same as any others. If you don't want to be out with lots of drunken people then don't go to bars/clubs late at the weekend.

tripawaymars Mar 14th 2007 2:47 pm

Esperanza

If you actually take the time to read my original thread you will see that I have stated that i don't have a problem with soldiers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I posted the thread because I was told that Townsville on a Friday night was FULL OF large groups of soldiers and rednecks being really lairy!! The reason I posted the thread was because I thought that they cannot all be like that..I dont really care who goes around int he groups on a weekend night being lairy..thats their business. I just wanted to know if there were different areas for drinking and what Townsville is like. I drink, I get drunk but I don't go out on the streets shouting the odds!! Some do, thats up to them.

You may want to try not taking things so personally....I posted the question to get first hand experience and views....not to get defensive mail back.

I notice that you did not defend rednecks!!!!!