British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Townsville Real Estate Advice Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/townsville-real-estate-advice-please-485945/)

No Idea Oct 8th 2007 8:45 am

Townsville Real Estate Advice Please

Hi moving to Townsville in January. Had thought I had worked out the areas that I wanted to live in etc (Castle Hill area). However due to some medical issuses with my young son, we know have to change the style of housing. (needs to be wheelchair friendly - hence single storey).

Can anyone recommend some really nice areas that are not in the flood plain prone (aka Annandale, Idalia), that are close to Cathedral school and the hospital that offer single storey housing?

After Castle Hill area, what are considered to be the 'next' best areas to live in? (Sorry I hope this doesn't offend anyone...just really struggling with the concept of living in Townsville - probably love it when I get there:rofl:).

Thanks for the help
Felicity

MikethePom Oct 26th 2007 6:16 am

Re: Townsville Real Estate Advice Please

Originally Posted by No Idea (Post 5400072)
Hi moving to Townsville in January. Had thought I had worked out the areas that I wanted to live in etc (Castle Hill area). However due to some medical issuses with my young son, we know have to change the style of housing. (needs to be wheelchair friendly - hence single storey).

Can anyone recommend some really nice areas that are not in the flood plain prone (aka Annandale, Idalia), that are close to Cathedral school and the hospital that offer single storey housing?

After Castle Hill area, what are considered to be the 'next' best areas to live in? (Sorry I hope this doesn't offend anyone...just really struggling with the concept of living in Townsville - probably love it when I get there:rofl:).

Thanks for the help
Felicity

Felicity,
I live in Currajong, between the afluent North Ward (near the Strand) and Cathedral. In most subburbs there is a mixture of both highset (on stilts) and lowset so it is really where you can afford. North Ward is probably the most expensive, then West End / Mysterton, Hyde park, Currajong etc. Try the domain.com.au website for some idea of houses available and prices. Beware, however, there is a dearth of good properties at a reasonable price. It took me around 6 months to find anything I liked, the property was 'sold' before it hit the estate agents and I was only saved as it fell through (the buyers were refused the finance) twice before I got it. Just make sure that the place has air con as the summers get very humid (close to 100% for a couple of months).

Regards

Mike

No Idea Oct 26th 2007 7:17 am

Re: Townsville Real Estate Advice Please

Thanks Mike for that.....must admit I slways seem to get the West End houses in Brisbane when I look on the internet:rofl:

Off to investigate Mystertin and Currajong now.

Cheers
Felicity