Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Townsville - The Place To Live?

Wikiposts

Townsville - The Place To Live?

Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

kevzone will become famous soon enough
Red face Townsville - The Place To Live?

Hi all you pats living in Townsville, I have a question.

Is Townsville the place to live?
My Family and I have been here for 3-4 years and I would like to know your opion on Townsville living.
As we have never lived anywhere other than Townsville, is it worth trying anywhere else, or is this as good as it gets.

I know that LIFE is all about perspective, which is why I am interested in yours.

Last edited by kevzone; Aug 1st 2008 at 1:32 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Townsville - The Place To Live?

Originally Posted by kevzone

My Family and I have been here for 3-4 years and I would like to know your opion on Townsville living.
As we have never lived anywhere other than Townsville, is it worth trying anywhere else, or is this as good as it gets.

I know that LIFE is all about perspective, which is why I am interested in yours.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...one/Reeds2.gif
Brownsville is an excellent refuelling stop on the way to Cairns.

WW
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

trice_ie will become famous soon enoughtrice_ie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Brownsville is an excellent refuelling stop on the way to Cairns.

WW
hi
we've lived in TSV since May and are still unsure if it's the spot for us, the beach the free amenties the lack of traffic and at the moment all the weekend events (can't wait to see this jazz festival) are excellent but not sure if it's really a city in my terms and possibly not got enough happening for our liking,also will we survive the humidity (i should be fine but OH works outside). Think it's early days for us though maybe we'll grow accustomed to it,giving it 12 months and if not off to the next spot
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:31 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

I would say that life tends to be pretty much what you make it. Moving to Oz won't be the answer to every problem as everyday life gets in the way and at the end of the day it's the same old s**t just a shiner bucket. It would depend on what you want out of life, what job you have, how old are you and your family, basically what you need to make yourself happy by full filling your expectations in life.

I'm up in Mission Beach and that ticks all the right boxes for me and our kids. My husband though struggles work wise so he is now working away and will be flying up, down and across Oz to wherever the work is....so not ideal as a family. Some people would hate it here as they would find it too quiet. Townsville has never appealed too much to me. I like the hospital facilities and BIG bucket, and the reef HQ is bloody brilliant but shops wise I prefer Cairns any day. Cairns feels more touristy where as Townsville has that lived in local feeling to me.

So do I travel up or down the Highway? Have to say the only way is up for my own personal preference as the drive is also far more appealing.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

Thats an interesting question kevzone..sounds as though u are looking for a change...we have lived in Townsville a few other places in Australia, New Zealand and Canada... Townsville would come low on our favourite places to live..not the friendliest of locals in our view. Western Australia is great around the Rockingham area 40 minutes to Perth but a lovely small seaside town...all towns south of Sydney are great and really friendly.. however NZ our favourite we will be heading back as soon as we can after exploring Australia...nicer people than Townsville who we thought were awful.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooby3
Thats an interesting question kevzone..sounds as though u are looking for a change...we have lived in Townsville a few other places in Australia, New Zealand and Canada... Townsville would come low on our favourite places to live..not the friendliest of locals in our view. Western Australia is great around the Rockingham area 40 minutes to Perth but a lovely small seaside town...all towns south of Sydney are great and really friendly.. however NZ our favourite we will be heading back as soon as we can after exploring Australia...nicer people than Townsville who we thought were awful.

I think its a shame that you have had a bad experience of Townsville, we have lived here for 3yrs now and have never lived in such a friendly place.
The schooling has proven to be fab, my husband and I have never been happier in our jobs and as for people not being friendly, ..well, all I can say is you have been very unlucky as we have always found people to be the opposite.
I brought my mum over here in 2006 for a long holiday and she actually commented on the fact that its one of the friendliest places she has ever been, and she has pretty much seen the world.
Townsville isn't for everyone, but in our opinion it is a great place to bring up your family.
I would say to anyone coming over here, do not base your judgement on other peoples opinions, come here and see for yourself and see if it suits you.
I would take a huge leap and say that I strongly believe that most people who come here with no pre-conceived ideas, settle and love it as much as we do. I know lots of families who have come here in the last 4yrs and they would never live anywhere else.
Not everyone is going to have a fab experience in any given place, but for us its just brilliant.
The weather isn't an issue, our winters are glorious, our summers are hot and humid, even the locals don't like it...but it does'nt last forever
So much is free to do with families here, and you have so many places to see that are fantastic and only 3-4hrs drive(Airlie beach, Cairns)
I think it would be very sad if anyone changed their view on coming to Townsville just because of a few peoples bad experience....just look at all the people who love it.
To anyone out there who would like any positive advice etc, please feel free to pm me.
As for the people that don't like Townville, I wish you well in the future.

Trish
Old Aug 6th 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimtrish
I think its a shame that you have had a bad experience of Townsville, we have lived here for 3yrs now and have never lived in such a friendly place.
The schooling has proven to be fab, my husband and I have never been happier in our jobs and as for people not being friendly, ..well, all I can say is you have been very unlucky as we have always found people to be the opposite.
I brought my mum over here in 2006 for a long holiday and she actually commented on the fact that its one of the friendliest places she has ever been, and she has pretty much seen the world.
Townsville isn't for everyone, but in our opinion it is a great place to bring up your family.
I would say to anyone coming over here, do not base your judgement on other peoples opinions, come here and see for yourself and see if it suits you.
I would take a huge leap and say that I strongly believe that most people who come here with no pre-conceived ideas, settle and love it as much as we do. I know lots of families who have come here in the last 4yrs and they would never live anywhere else.
Not everyone is going to have a fab experience in any given place, but for us its just brilliant.
The weather isn't an issue, our winters are glorious, our summers are hot and humid, even the locals don't like it...but it does'nt last forever
So much is free to do with families here, and you have so many places to see that are fantastic and only 3-4hrs drive(Airlie beach, Cairns)
I think it would be very sad if anyone changed their view on coming to Townsville just because of a few peoples bad experience....just look at all the people who love it.
To anyone out there who would like any positive advice etc, please feel free to pm me.

Trish
JimTrish i think you missed the point the original poster has already lived there for a few years and is obviously looking for opinion on other places...
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Life is what you make it and if your unhappy there then maybe you should try somewhere else, there's good and bad where ever you go in this world. I hope you find happiness what ever you decide to do

Originally Posted by jimtrish

Trish
Great post Trish, I think it's important people have the chance to also see the positive side!

JimTrish i think you missed the point the original poster has already lived there for a few years and is obviously looking for opinion on other places...
The original poster is (in my opinion) asking for opinions on others views of living in Townsville as well as other places! I don't think Trish missed the point, as she lives there she's replying to his third sentence:

"My Family and I have been here for 3-4 years and I would like to know your opion on Townsville living."

I think Trish was also responding to your post regarding how unfriendly the locals were so she's telling her experience of Townsville and it's locals! There are a few of us on here heading for Townsville who have never been there so it's good to read the positives instead of just all negatives!

Dawn
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn-D
The original poster is (in my opinion) asking for opinions on others views of living in Townsville as well as other places! I don't think Trish missed the point, as she lives there she's replying to his third sentence:

"My Family and I have been here for 3-4 years and I would like to know your opion on Townsville living."
That's how I read it too Dawn.

There are funny, negative and now positive responses which balances things a bit. Doesn't really matter that they disagree. They are opinions of individuals.

If I held up a white flag people would all agree it was a white flag.
Living somewhere is not so simple as that though.
There are multitudes of influences that could paint the picture white or paint it black dependant on your personal experiences.

This is why when you read a persons opinion whether negative or positive you always have to question "but would it be like that for me ?"

You are not that person and have a different personality so the only real answer is of course to suck it and see.

In the particular case of Townsville I know people who love it and hate it. So the conclusion is it suits some but not others. Anyone could fall in either category so for those who haven't been there.....find out
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
That's how I read it too Dawn.

There are funny, negative and now positive responses which balances things a bit. Doesn't really matter that they disagree. They are opinions of individuals.

If I held up a white flag people would all agree it was a white flag.
Living somewhere is not so simple as that though.
There are multitudes of influences that could paint the picture white or paint it black dependant on your personal experiences.

This is why when you read a persons opinion whether negative or positive you always have to question "but would it be like that for me ?"

You are not that person and have a different personality so the only real answer is of course to suck it and see.

In the particular case of Townsville I know people who love it and hate it. So the conclusion is it suits some but not others. Anyone could fall in either category so for those who haven't been there.....find out
Well said Bix, a brilliant balanced post
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:58 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We visited Townsville last year with a view to moving there. Two days later, We both knew that it wasn't for us.

Don't get me wrong, there wasn't anything negative that I could put my finger on... People were friendly, the beach was good, and it looked like we'd be able to find work, but for us, it just didn't 'feel' right.

Often it's about emotional stuff that you can't explain. We just knew that we wouldn't be able to settle there. Incidentally, I got the same feeling in Brisbane... Both great places, but for me, at least, just to visit, not to live.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Townsville - The Place To Live?

Hi Again everyone and thankyou for your opinions so far, some different and some the same.

My original question was posed just to see what the different opinions are for mainly ex British people, who live here in Townsville.
My family and I lived in New Zealand for 2 years and I agree with Scooby3 that the people were a lot more friendlier, than the people here in Townsville.
The friends that we have and have had, whilst living here have either been Ex-pats or Australians from NSW and VIC, why? I am not 100% sure. (but I have a theory)

I am indeed looking for opinions on other places to live and experience but I am not opposed to living in Townsvile for the next 5, 10 years as I like what this town offers, especially the weather. If I had a chance I would settle in NZ but as most of you will probably know the economy is not as good on the wallet as here.

Dawn-D has a great point, "Life is what you make it" and that goes for everyone, anywhere and we make the most of it whilst here. There are 2 sides to a coin, light and dark, which is why I am interested in your opinions, thanks and keep em coming. (good post Bix)
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Kevzone,
Interestingly we have spoken to a number of Kiwis who now feel that they are now financially better off in New Zealand and are looking to return..apparently salaries have increased a lot. Australia is more than Townsville and if your circumstances allow why not try somewhere else if your circumstances allow..kids...work etc..
Darwin has a similar climate but is far more multicultural and has a good vibe..more going on than Townsville. The bigger cities in Oz are actually quite good for living in as well not like UK city living.I note you are from Barnsley...well even living in Sydney probably doesnt feel as urban as south yorkshire. Good luck with your venture and why not give somewhere else a go you'll never know. We seem to remember that there arent many people living in Townsville from Townsville more of an itinerants town. Whats youre theory on why Townsville folk not so friendly we would be interested.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kevzone,
Interestingly we have spoken to a number of Kiwis who now feel that they are now financially better off in New Zealand and are looking to return..apparently salaries have increased a lot. Australia is more than Townsville and if your circumstances allow why not try somewhere else if your circumstances allow..kids...work etc..
Darwin has a similar climate but is far more multicultural and has a good vibe..more going on than Townsville. The bigger cities in Oz are actually quite good for living in as well not like UK city living.I note you are from Barnsley...well even living in Sydney probably doesnt feel as urban as south yorkshire. Good luck with your venture and why not give somewhere else a go you'll never know. We seem to remember that there arent many people living in Townsville from Townsville more of an itinerants town. Whats youre theory on why Townsville folk not so friendly we would be interested.
Hey Scooby3 - Well now that puts me on the spot, I will PM you.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Look forward to your theory!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.