Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Townsville or Gold Coast???

Townsville or Gold Coast???

Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough
Smile Townsville or Gold Coast???

Hi

We currently live in Townsville and have now for 15 months or so, don't mind it but feeling a little isolated.

We have an 11 year old girl and was wondering if the Gold Coast is a good place to bring up kids.

Any advice or personal experiences would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Babycoach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Townsville or Gold Coast???

Hi - go to the Gold Coast tonight!
I have been trying to get back there since I left Bris. two years ago. I miss lots of things from Brisbane - beaches, IKEA, smart cafes and bookshops in West End or city, there is SOOOOO much more to do. I have been researching schools etc like mad trying to persuade my teens to move back to gold Coast. I would google Elanora High school it is in the catchment area of currumbin which is very nice just a little away from the beach and the tourists.
I cannot believe they want to stay in brownsville lol!
But they have friends now and so it is hard for them to move again.

What made you come to TSV?
Rosemary
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

PS I was originally 24 yrs ago from Mancheste,r where did you live in the UK?
Rosemary
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

Hi Rosemary

We are from just outside York and so use to having variety at my doorstep.

I think we will go down and have a look around and see what we think to the Gold Coast. I am currently working at the Mater Hospital but my contract end in November so just getting a few ideas at the moment.

What made you come up this way???
Will def look at the school you suggested, many thanks for replying

Clare
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Clare
I worked for a few months at the mater as a midwife when I moved up here. Small world hey. I am a single mum with 4 kids - well the eldest is 26 and in the army so when he was moved up here for four years I decided to come up as we would never see him. I have three more 17, 16 and 14.
The 17 yr old has finished school and wants to go in the army too - so I emigrated to bris in 86 when no 26 was only 2! and as I walked down the Qantas steps it was strange ..like I had come home.
I have lived 3 years in Sydney, same in darwin and same in Zimbabwe where no 2 and 3 were born.
So my itchy feet go in 3 yr cycles starnge but seems to happen that way. I will move back to bris asap. just the two youngest putting up barriers. The schools here are pretty hopeless too.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

PS google Babycoach Townsville and my website will come up. Call me if you like for a coffee.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Babycoach View Post
The schools here are pretty hopeless too.
This is encouraging as I'm about to move my 9yr old daughter to Townsville.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rosemary, will give your a call sometime to pick your brains.
I'm working at the Hyde Park Hospital at the moment on the Med/Surg ward.

Thinking about doing my Middie training.

speak soon
Clare
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paularn View Post
This is encouraging as I'm about to move my 9yr old daughter to Townsville.
My daughter is 11 and has done ok with primary school although I don't think it has been as good as her schooling in the UK. My main worry is High School here in Townsville, but there are lots of schools to choose from.

Good Luck
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

My younger brother and sister have lived on the Gold Coast since they were very young, they are 13 and 16 now and have a great lifestyle, very good schooling and lots to do.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Yes High schools in TSV ! Go to the Gold coast. Mine have been at Ryan catholic college and have had home economics teachers who were unqualified! I twigged when they had them for maths the previous year and another taught English. My eldest son at school said the teacher did not even know how you cook chicken teryaki! The worst of this was when they had my other son take raw fish to school cook it and share it amongst the class. Ditto with chocolate mousse with fresh cream made at home and taken to school in kids bag then shared out in class!
How no one has got food poisoning yet is only a miracle. But it led me to investigate who is teaching our kids and what they are learning. Having been schooled in the UK and expecting qualified teachers ( in their particular field) I took two years to cotton on that this was not the case at Ryan. Phoned Dept. of Education re Govt. schools where I was assured say Home Ec. teachers are qualified, woodwork/metalwork etc. NOT the case at Ryan.
Have to say heard Nothing good re catholic schools here and state have some big issues apparently.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:35 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go to the Gold Coast.

The 16 or so hours I've spent in Townsville was about 17 too many!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

LOL that's funny - so it's no just me then!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Well I'm sold, Gold Coast it is.

Thanks for the replies.

Hope to speak to you soon Rosemary.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yes just give me a call. I will back there soon.