Townsville

Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Williams_family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Townsville

Hi Everyone

We are new to this site, but have been in Oz, living on the Gold Coast and Brisbane for the last 9 years.

Due to a new job offer, we are relocating to Townsville within the next few weeks (Im actually flyining up this week to start work on Monday).

Ive worked in Townsville before a few years ago and loved the relaxed atmosphere, and friendly people.

We have been looking online at houses in the North Ward/Castle Hill area which seem really nice and convenient to the Strand and city.

Any advice on other nice places to look at would be great.

We are in our mid 30's with 3 kids (10, 7, 5) and would love to meet up with other Brits for a few beers and to get a good run down on nice places to go and things to do!

Thanks in advance!!

Ian (& Georgina)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:40 am
Just Joined

torface is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Townsville

Hi Ian,

I currently live in North Ward and I think it's great! I also lived in South Townsville, which is also nice... Parts of North Ward can be noisy though (i.e. traffic noise - i live on a hill which people use to cut through to town and people rev unnecessarily hard up it 24 hours a day) so look for a place that's away from the well used roads if that sort of thing bothers you. I have also heard that noise travels up to the places on the hill (e.g. Hale Street). That being said, I lived in central London, so it's really not all that bad

Bear in mind though, that all though these places are close to the CBD, all the best shopping is further away (being near the strand is great though). But the good thing about Townsville is that the traffic is never that bad and you can drive anywhere easily (i find a car is a necessity).

Good luck for you move!

T
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:17 am
Just Joined

angie79nilsson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We have been living in Townsville for the last 3 years and lived on the Strand, Belgian Gardens and now Pallarenda.
Pros and cons to all but love Pallarenda at the moment, very quiet and so close to the city and right on the beach.
Have you moved yet?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:19 am
Just Joined

me and husband also up for beers forgot to say!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Williams_family is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thanks for all the info - I havent had much time to check back in as things have been very busy!!

We have moved into a house a short walk from the strand at Castle Hill - and loving it so far.

I work in the city so its a perfect location!

We will have to arrange a few beers soon!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Cool, < wee snip>
I check it more often than the expats forum. We have friends coming up this weekend but the weekend after may be good to go to Juliettes on the Strand? The one further up on the strand has a good flat grassy area for kids (we have a 9 month old boy).
Have fun settling in!

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 24th 2012 at 5:02 am. Reason: Best not to put up personal details on an open forum where spambots may troll. BE has a private message system which is safer
Old Nov 10th 2012, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved the recent posts asking about living in townsville into the main forum - you are more likely to get answers there

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776909