Townsville

Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

angiez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Townsville

Hi, me and my husband are due to move to Townsville from Brighton, Sussex in April and wondering if there's anyone about who fancies chatting about how they're getting on etc.
Cheers!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of
Default Re: Townsville

I'm sure someone who actually lives in Townsville will reply soon but I thought I'd chip in in any case. We actually live in Melbourne but out eldest son has been living in Townsville as he goes to James Cook Uni there for the last 4 years. He loves it although does find it a bit limiting sometimes nightlife wise after 4 years, but he's at uni so theres always something going on for him. We have visited a couple of times and I think its a lovely place, although you can't swim in the sea most of the year and it is excessively humid in the summer months. There is some beautiful scenery around and Magnetic Island etc is fantastic. Try searching in the search box at the top as I'm sure there have been recent post about living in Townsville on here. Hope your move goes well.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Smartinis
I'm sure someone who actually lives in Townsville will reply soon but I thought I'd chip in in any case. We actually live in Melbourne but out eldest son has been living in Townsville as he goes to James Cook Uni there for the last 4 years. He loves it although does find it a bit limiting sometimes nightlife wise after 4 years, but he's at uni so theres always something going on for him. We have visited a couple of times and I think its a lovely place, although you can't swim in the sea most of the year and it is excessively humid in the summer months. There is some beautiful scenery around and Magnetic Island etc is fantastic. Try searching in the search box at the top as I'm sure there have been recent post about living in Townsville on here. Hope your move goes well.
Hi, thanks for the reply! We're not too worried about a crazy nightlife- have lived in big cities for my 30 years and looking for something smaller. Have had a few negative comments about it being such a military based town but do the squaddies cause many problems? Generally the feedback from people I met who lived there is very positive.
I have done a lot of research on the area already and spoken to a lot of people so generally know what to expect but just like talking about it as so excited to be going over!
Loved Melbourne when I visited, hope you are enjoying your life there!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:22 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiez
Hi, thanks for the reply! We're not too worried about a crazy nightlife- have lived in big cities for my 30 years and looking for something smaller. Have had a few negative comments about it being such a military based town but do the squaddies cause many problems? Generally the feedback from people I met who lived there is very positive.
I have done a lot of research on the area already and spoken to a lot of people so generally know what to expect but just like talking about it as so excited to be going over!
Loved Melbourne when I visited, hope you are enjoying your life there!
In answer to your question about the squaddies causing problems..the answer is no. For the most part there is little evidence of it being a military based town... some areas have more Defence families than others but I don't have a problem with that. I've no idea if the squaddies cause problems in the pubs and clubs though as I don't go to them!

I love Townsville, it's a very family friendly small city and has plenty to do to suit most people. We're looking to move to Melbourne in the future but only because of the degree my son wants to study at Uni....although having recently visited Melbourne I was absolutely blown away with the shops etc in comparison with Townsville

If you have any specific questions you want answered then please ask and I'll be happy to help
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

We're moving to Townsville end of January. We have family there and I really like the area. From all my visits there, I haven't seen any problems with military people. The size of the city suits me just fine and I think it'll be a great place for our 9yr old daughter to grow up in.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I passed through Townsville the other week on my drive around Queensland. The city centre is nice and compact. It was so humid it felt hotter at night than during the day. Make sure your unit has air con!

Good pubs in the centre, at least one with live music.

and, there's lots and lots of rain around now - take a brolly
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

that sounds great, live music pubs are definitely what we are into. is there much rock and roll music going on there? i here it's quite big on country music there?
rain we can cope with; we are currently snowed in here in the uk so humidity and rain we can do!!!
I have a job myself sorted with a 457 visa and my husband is a plumber but also happy to do something else or start with labouring to get to know the trade in oz- does anyone know of anywhere to start for jobs for him?
so excited to come over, it looks so beautiful