Townsville

Old May 18th 2009, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant future
Default Re: Townsville

Originally Posted by Nicole Arnold
Hi we 2 are moving to Townsville hopefully in July, we are a family of 3 and oh has a job to go to.

We have just sold the house but it has taken 6 months and we have had to drop the price by £20,000 in that time to secure a sale.

All sounds like fun although so am looking forward to it even if I am a little nervous at handing my notice in at work at the end of this month!!!

I know it is nervous handing in your notice! My OH has worked for the same company for 25 years so imagine how he must have felt!

Well done.

You did have to take a bit of a hit with the house sale, poor you, hope it doesn't upset your future plans.

Have you looked at houses in Townsville yet? Have you decided which area you want to stay in?

How old is your daughter/son?
We are currently looking at schools and have been told that Townsville Grammer is very good.
Our boys are 12 and 14 and we have a daughter of 2 (will be 3 by the time we get there)

Where in the UK are you?

We are in Stirling, I am dying to talk to other people in our situation, I'm just so excited. I think that the people around me are completely fed up with me going on and on about the whole thing!
Old May 18th 2009, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

nickperkz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
To anyone who has PM ed me regarding info from TVL please do so again. I have to post 3 times before I can use that function so I dont know if previous messages will be held whilst I post this!

FYI We sold our house in TVL in a day by the way. Asked $428 got $420 k Small block ; 500 sq metres, 4 beds + pool in Riverside gardens 2km from TVL Hosp and Uni. fairly standard Ozzy fittings include; double garage, spa bath, walk in robe, en suite, alarm etc etc. Not exactly a 3 bed semi !!
See Google earth if interested in the area and Harcourts estate agents if you want to see the house . It is quite small by local standards but a nice area.
Check out 4 Honeyeater circuit for example.
Prost Nick
Old May 18th 2009, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Nicole Arnold will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Townsville

Ah bess ya bluekim (I should change my name you all have funky names, I'm just boring old me!!!)

Anyway I have looked on line for places to live but we have just been told our location has changed for the 3rd time. First we were going to Rockhampton, then Mackay now Townsville. Not grumbling tho as looks like it has a bit more to offer! But got to start the research again.

We are lucky as the company have a 3 bedroom unit we can have for the first couple of months until we have a chance to find somewhere etc which is handy.

My daughter is also 14 proper hormonal and we live in Kent. I am getting excited although my Dad has been ill recently and they can't decide if it's the big C or not so mixed feelings on leaving there. Not really had to many people to talk about it with as I haven't told my work yet obviously my friends know, but you can chat to me as much as you like mate.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nicole

Any Q,s about TVL or relocating to Oz in general please feel free to ask. I have plenty of free time at present and am happy to contibute from my very recent knowledge of living there.

Regards Nick
Old May 24th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks,

My daughter really wants to persue an acting career (not that she needs many lessons) and would be intersted to know (if you know) any schools in the area which are more on the creative/performing arts side side? I think we have to look for places to live depending on where she might go to school, so have left that bit open for now.

Sorry to hear you are coming back as you have missed close family it must be very hard, I must admit I am not looking forward to that bit.

What do you and your family like most about TVL what drew you to that particular area?
Old May 24th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

I really liked the place when i worked up there for a week earlier on in the year.

A little bit quiet, but i like it that way, great Barrier reef Aquarium centre, good Nautical museums.

One thing that did concern me was that when i got bitten by a mosquito, the locals said i MUST use Aeroguard, as Dengue Fever and Ross River Virus are common in Townsville.
I thought it might be locals just giving me some stick, but it was also all over the news

Stu
Old May 24th 2009, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

o.m.g sounds well scary..........seeing as the old mossies home in on me here already will be sure to get loads of that then.

oh more worried about the crocodiles and sharks reckons he is not getting in the sea for love nor money lol

Thanks for the info though it all helps
Old May 24th 2009, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Townsville

Dont worry Mr Mannering all will be well! Hope that you are old enough to have seen Dads Army by the way)

Cant advise on arty stuff though my sons mate is now a reporter on local Tv so maybe I can ask him to ask him etc ; as my son is still in TVL as I type.

I went to TVL by choice after being moved with the military from Perth (beautiful) to a country town in east Victoria (peaceful and friendly). We decided after 7 years, a parents passing, and a sort of failed attempt to come home , I lost a job offer in germany following the 9/11 attack, that the grey winters of Victoria were too close to those of home and elected for a more tropical lifestyle instead. We subsequently enjoyed most of our 7 years in TVL.
By ozzy standards TVL is still on the up and up with affordable housing, work, great facilities and of course plenty of sunshine ( and humidity in summer be warned!!) Dont expect to swim in the ocean unless you stay inside the stinger nets put up Nov - May along an area called the Strand which is a beautiful seafront area in the middle of town; the views will take your breath away and there is nothing in Uk to compare with this one Vista.
alone . Electric BBQ facilities are clean and free and the great outdoors beckons. There is an enclosed large free form swimming area called the Rockpool which uses seawater,an open air pool ,and young kids aqua area. Mostly free.Check out the Townsville city website for more info its easy to google.
Regarding beasties. Crocs - yes and sharks of course . Some say that on a bad day you can hear the mosquitoes change gear as they home in. Not strictly true. There are mossies all over Oz and even a rumour of one of two in Cornwall, so just accept local practice and use a bit of RID or Off before hitting the grog on the patio!! Doesnt work on partners!! My wife actualy caught Ross River whilst in Victoria (I though it was the onset of PMT!) even though we subsquently moved 3000km and ended up living 400 metres from the Ross River itself. Check out - Riverway - by the way ,this is a new open Air pool complex on th banks of Ross River in Kirwan - a suberb 10 km west of TVL. Again its an idyllic location without the vandlism and graffiti associated with non policed venues in UK. Though ther are security guards to deter some of the non desirables who inhabit many areas of Oz including TVL

Overall, in my opinion, TVL is a wonderful place. We may return one day (ping pong effect ). To newcomers untainted by the big city lure of Sydney, Brissy and Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth I reckon its still one of Australias best kept secrets as long as you can pay your way!!.

Enjoy the adventure!

Regards Nick

Last edited by nickperkz; May 24th 2009 at 8:15 pm.
Old May 24th 2009, 9:11 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickperkz
Dont worry Mr Mannering all will be well! Hope that you are old enough to have seen Dads Army by the way)

Cant advise on arty stuff though my sons mate is now a reporter on local Tv so maybe I can ask him to ask him etc ; as my son is still in TVL as I type.

I went to TVL by choice after being moved with the military from Perth (beautiful) to a country town in east Victoria (peaceful and friendly). We decided after 7 years, a parents passing, and a sort of failed attempt to come home , I lost a job offer in germany following the 9/11 attack, that the grey winters of Victoria were too close to those of home and elected for a more tropical lifestyle instead. We subsequently enjoyed most of our 7 years in TVL.
By ozzy standards TVL is still on the up and up with affordable housing, work, great facilities and of course plenty of sunshine ( and humidity in summer be warned!!) Dont expect to swim in the ocean unless you stay inside the stinger nets put up Nov - May along an area called the Strand which is a beautiful seafront area in the middle of town; the views will take your breath away and there is nothing in Uk to compare with this one Vista.
alone . Electric BBQ facilities are clean and free and the great outdoors beckons. There is an enclosed large free form swimming area called the Rockpool which uses seawater,an open air pool ,and young kids aqua area. Mostly free.Check out the Townsville city website for more info its easy to google.
Regarding beasties. Crocs - yes and sharks of course . Some say that on a bad day you can hear the mosquitoes change gear as they home in. Not strictly true. There are mossies all over Oz and even a rumour of one of two in Cornwall, so just accept local practice and use a bit of RID or Off before hitting the grog on the patio!! Doesnt work on partners!! My wife actualy caught Ross River whilst in Victoria (I though it was the onset of PMT!) even though we subsquently moved 3000km and ended up living 400 metres from the Ross River itself. Check out - Riverway - by the way ,this is a new open Air pool complex on th banks of Ross River in Kirwan - a suberb 10 km west of TVL. Again its an idyllic location without the vandlism and graffiti associated with non policed venues in UK. Though ther are security guards to deter some of the non desirables who inhabit many areas of Oz including TVL

Overall, in my opinion, TVL is a wonderful place. We may return one day (ping pong effect ). To newcomers untainted by the big city lure of Sydney, Brissy and Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth I reckon its still one of Australias best kept secrets as long as you can pay your way!!.

Enjoy the adventure!

Regards Nick

Great post
Old May 24th 2009, 9:29 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicole Arnold
Thanks,

My daughter really wants to persue an acting career (not that she needs many lessons) and would be intersted to know (if you know) any schools in the area which are more on the creative/performing arts side side? I think we have to look for places to live depending on where she might go to school, so have left that bit open for now.

Sorry to hear you are coming back as you have missed close family it must be very hard, I must admit I am not looking forward to that bit.

What do you and your family like most about TVL what drew you to that particular area?
Several of the high schools put on shows at the Civic Theatre incuding I believe the Grammar and Ryan (both private) and Kirwan State High which is about to do Grease. My son is more keen on sports so I'm afraid I don't know much about the drama side of things but I see they do offer drama as an elective subject at Kirwan High

http://www.kirwanshs.eq.edu.au/docs/...2008%20web.pdf.
Old May 25th 2009, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

That was a good post!

Thanks peeps for all the insight, I do remeber dads army, although I think I preferred the soundtrack to the program!!

I will certainly look at the schools thanks for the links. Just looking at booking the removals company any one got any info on PSS?

Really still feel in limbo land at the moment, it like it's all going on but nothing is happening can't seem to get my head in gear at the moment........ still sure it will all come together in the end