Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A towed boat and a Toyota Hilux

A towed boat and a Toyota Hilux

Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

suggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to all
Default A towed boat and a Toyota Hilux

Hello,

When i finally reach Australia, i am planning to buy a boat and a Toyota Hilux.

Both second hand, i would like a Toyota Hilux utility, has anyone any advice about purchasing one of these vehicles? I have never owned one, i want to spend bewteen $25k and $30k. Anyone any thoughts, i will be based around Raby Bay to start with.

Now the boat, i must be able to toe it, it must come with a trailer, i have never owned a boat. Again, i will be buying a second hand boat, i will spend between $35k and $45k. Has anyone got any advice or experiences. I want it for fishing, cruising, leisure activities, you know, nothing over the top.

Does anyone on here own a boat or a Hilux, what do you think i will get for the money? Best place to start looking, would you would'nt you etc?

Cheers Suggs
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

the_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nice
Default Re: A towed boat and a Toyota Hilux

We would like to buy the same when we are over there so I have been looking on the following sites, take a look :-

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/

http://www.carpoint.com.au/

Jo
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

What I will say is that you can't beat a Toyota or kill it - did you ever see it on Top Gear where they tried to kill one?

I've got a Hiace as a camper van conversion and its just so simple yet brilliantly engineered. I would love to also get a Hilux, if I could get it on the drive just to use a weekends.

Don't let anyone talk you in to getting a less common make. I see a lot of Fiat motor homes for example, where are you going to get a water pump or a mechanic that knows how to work on that if it breaks down outback? Whereas someone would always be able to help you in a Toyota IF it ever broke down.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Look private Suggs, dealers seem to have a lot of crap private sellers couldnt shift...

A few people squealing now, especially the weekend millionaires who have overspent and remortgaged, those 4wd's and boats going cheap, and selling with at least 30% off, property will go the same in the next 6 months.... when the first homers start to realise they cant afford their $400k brand new homebuild.... its all starting to rumble.......and Im waiting for the avalanche,

Hi-lux utility good vehicle, and as for the boat, with the canals and ocean over east you want at least 21ft and a good sea going machine with plenty of range....guarantee you what ever boat you get it will shrink......

Originally Posted by suggs
Hello,

Both second hand, i would like a Toyota Hilux utility, has anyone any advice about purchasing one of these vehicles? I have never owned one, i want to spend bewteen $25k and $30k. Anyone any thoughts, i will be based around Raby Bay to start with.

Now the boat, i must be able to toe it, it must come with a trailer, i have never owned a boat. Again, i will be buying a second hand boat, i will spend between $35k and $45k. Has anyone got any advice or experiences. I want it for fishing, cruising, leisure activities, you know, nothing over the top.

Does anyone on here own a boat or a Hilux, what do you think i will get for the money? Best place to start looking, would you would'nt you etc?

Cheers Suggs
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:33 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Boats are mostly sold on Consignment here in boat yards. i.e. you pay them $500 to put your boat in their yard to sell.

You'll need to pin down your boat requirements a little better than that. Most people go tin as the bay is very shallow and you will run around more often than not. If going off-shore fishing, then you'll need a 6M+ fibreglass, and learn to cross the bars ( think waves twice the height of the boat , and you have to be fully commited ).

Your best method is to go to boat yards and try out all the different layouts ( centre console, runabout , bowrider ) , outboard, inboard.

If you buy a boat , then be prepared for a money pit. You'll might use it 20 hrs a year, $500 engine service, $500 insurance, $300 reg, 30 litres an hour in petrol.

$25-$30K will get you a 5-5.5m tinny with <100 hours on the engine and a few years old. Beware under powered models, and get an engine survey at the minimum.

As with most things there is brand hierarchy ( not sure if it actually makes any difference) , and you will have to consider how many people you want on board ( they have limits ).

Take your boat license now ( and get the missus to take it too ). http://www.baysideboatlicensing.com.au/ ( vicky point ) or http://www.abcboating.com/ (cleveland ).

Myself, we've got a 2004 stacer bowrider with 115 outboard.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Cheers Suggs

I am opting out of the company car and taking a Novated lease instead..was going to go for either Diesel Hilux UTE or the Diesel Prado as both great looking exterior only thing is interior is a bit bland, Pajero is fantastic interior and still quite impressive on the outside (especially in Black) so am undecided. If you still prefer a UTE you cannot beat the Hilux which I think has 3500KG Tow I like the Met Blue or Black, the DI 4X4 is bit more expensive but fully equipped so they tend to hold their price.

I have a 5m Quintrex Freedom Sport with an ETEC 90 and its awesome, cost about $35000 spanking new (2006) bought custom cover and other extras so spent about another $2000. Pulling it at the moment (until 17 Aug) with a Commodore Wagon no problem at 1250KG...

For boat below $521 for insurance, $80 for Maritime rego (NSW), $140 for trailer rego.

EVINRUDE ETEC is the best Engine in the water requires only service every 300 Hrs or 3 years, easy on the old Juice as well as very very good on oil (direct injected)

Check out this website for both cars and boats www.carsalesnetwork.com.au
Attached Thumbnails A towed boat and a Toyota Hilux-img_3153-large-.jpg   A towed boat and a Toyota Hilux-img_3154-large-.jpg   A towed boat and a Toyota Hilux-img_3155-large-.jpg  

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Jun 26th 2009 at 6:03 am. Reason: add webite
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
If you still prefer a UTE you cannot beat the Hilux which I think has 3500KG Tow I like the Met Blue or Black, the DI 4X4 is bit more expensive but fully equipped so they tend to hold their price.
[/url]
Actually the biggest downfall of the Hilux is the towing capacity. Its 2250kg with electric brakes.

Compared to the Mazda BT50 (Ford Ranger) and Nissan Navara/Pathfinder it is quite poor in that regard. We ditched our Prado (only tows 2500) for that reason since my wife needs to tow 3000kg+

So if weight will ever be an issue you can do better. Other than that the Toyota is pretty awesome in most other respects.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Andy Cal is an unknown quantity at this point

[TE=Red_V_Roger;7699777]What I will say is that you can't beat a Toyota or kill it - did you ever see it on Top Gear where they tried to kill one?

I've got a Hiace as a camper van conversion and its just so simple yet brilliantly engineered. I would love to also get a Hilux, if I could get it on the drive just to use a weekends.

Don't let anyone talk you in to getting a less common make. I see a lot of Fiat motor homes for example, where are you going to get a water pump or a mechanic that knows how to work on that if it breaks down outback? Whereas someone would always be able to help you in a Toyota IF it ever brokhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:britishexpats.com/get/forum/images/smilies/confused.gife down.[/QUOTE]http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...cons/icon6.gif
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually the biggest downfall of the Hilux is the towing capacity. Its 2250kg with electric brakes.

Compared to the Mazda BT50 (Ford Ranger) and Nissan Navara/Pathfinder it is quite poor in that regard. We ditched our Prado (only tows 2500) for that reason since my wife needs to tow 3000kg+

So if weight will ever be an issue you can do better. Other than that the Toyota is pretty awesome in most other respects.
Is that for the Diesel? I was quoted 3500KG for the DI 4X4 Hilux....

Whats the Pajero DID?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Hello,

Cheers Suggs
I have South African friends in Raby Bay who are big boat people and very familiar with the Toyota Hilux.........Brad Nielson can be googled at Remax in Raby Bay and his son and himself are ex-car sales dealers.........He might try and sell you something though so beware.......tell him HI and Shirls will see you soon !
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

suggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to allsuggs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Look private Suggs, dealers seem to have a lot of crap private sellers couldnt shift...

A few people squealing now, especially the weekend millionaires who have overspent and remortgaged, those 4wd's and boats going cheap, and selling with at least 30% off, property will go the same in the next 6 months.... when the first homers start to realise they cant afford their $400k brand new homebuild.... its all starting to rumble.......and Im waiting for the avalanche,

Hi-lux utility good vehicle, and as for the boat, with the canals and ocean over east you want at least 21ft and a good sea going machine with plenty of range....guarantee you what ever boat you get it will shrink......

Thankyou all for your replies, sent you all a thankyou, especially La Vida loca, thanks, i am hoping i might pick up a bargain second hand Hilux, and a nice boat, nothing flash, just something to enjoy, teach the missus how to fish in the ocean. The exchange rate is poor, but maybe if things are a little tight in Australia, then there maybe oppurtunities to knock a few dollars off the car and boat?

Thank you all for the replies, Suggs.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:48 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Is that for the Diesel? I was quoted 3500KG for the DI 4X4 Hilux....

Whats the Pajero DID?
I just checked the Toyota site and it claims its 2250 for the TD 4x4. Says 2500 for the TD Prado.

They have never been able to tow 3000 as far as know.

The Pajero does indeed tow 3000kg though in both petrol and TD.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I am opting out of the company car and taking a Novated lease instead..was going to go for either Diesel Hilux UTE or the Diesel Prado as both great looking exterior only thing is interior is a bit bland, Pajero is fantastic interior and still quite impressive on the outside (especially in Black) so am undecided. If you still prefer a UTE you cannot beat the Hilux which I think has 3500KG Tow I like the Met Blue or Black, the DI 4X4 is bit more expensive but fully equipped so they tend to hold their price.

I have a 5m Quintrex Freedom Sport with an ETEC 90 and its awesome, cost about $35000 spanking new (2006) bought custom cover and other extras so spent about another $2000. Pulling it at the moment (until 17 Aug) with a Commodore Wagon no problem at 1250KG...

For boat below $521 for insurance, $80 for Maritime rego (NSW), $140 for trailer rego.

EVINRUDE ETEC is the best Engine in the water requires only service every 300 Hrs or 3 years, easy on the old Juice as well as very very good on oil (direct injected)

Check out this website for both cars and boats www.carsalesnetwork.com.au
The Prado Grande interior is a lot better than the base model.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Just read in the paper that the Hilux got the number 1 spot as most popular new car sold in Australia in the month of June.

Commodore got No.2

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...4-2682,00.html

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Jul 3rd 2009 at 8:05 am. Reason: weblink added
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Just read in the paper that the Hilux got the number 1 spot as most popular new car sold in Australia in the month of June.

Commodore got No.2

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...4-2682,00.html
That's businesses taking advantage of the tax break - once that ends I reckon new sales will get hammered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.