Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tourist visa if 457 not through in time

Tourist visa if 457 not through in time

Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Tourist visa if 457 not through in time

Hi,
I've booked our flights to Melbourne for Nov 2nd but am slightly concerned that our 457 may not come through in time.
If this is the case, is it possible to enter Oz on a tourist visa until the 457 is granted, or would applying for this cancel the 457?
If not possible, would it be OK to get a NZ tourist visa and get a flight direct from Melbourne to NZ as soon as we arrive, therefore not actually entering the country?
We should be OK, but I'm just looking at the options should things not go according to plan!
Thanks
Di
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist visa if 457 not through in time

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Hi,
I've booked our flights to Melbourne for Nov 2nd but am slightly concerned that our 457 may not come through in time.
If this is the case, is it possible to enter Oz on a tourist visa until the 457 is granted, or would applying for this cancel the 457?
If not possible, would it be OK to get a NZ tourist visa and get a flight direct from Melbourne to NZ as soon as we arrive, therefore not actually entering the country?
We should be OK, but I'm just looking at the options should things not go according to plan!
Thanks
Di

Hi Dianne

Whats the hurry? lol Have you a posse after you? ;-)
Old Sep 7th 2006, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks
Di
You should be ok on a tourist visa but let DIMIA know you will be in the country because they may need you to leave the country before they can grant the visa.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Teliko21
You should be ok on a tourist visa but let DIMIA know you will be in the country because they may need you to leave the country before they can grant the visa.
Are you sure? I thought I'd read before that whenever you apply for any kind of visa (even tourist) it will cancel any existing visas or any that are being processed?
But then I may well have got that completely wrong!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:16 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure? I thought I'd read before that whenever you apply for any kind of visa (even tourist) it will cancel any existing visas or any that are being processed?
If you are granted the tourist visa, and the 457 has already been granted, then you will have problems.

As far as I know, if you haven't yet been accepted on the 457, you should have no problems. As Teliko21 said, give DIMIA a quick call,tell them your situation, and they should be able to help.

Good luck
Old Sep 7th 2006, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by furkew
If you are granted the tourist visa, and the 457 has already been granted, then you will have problems.

As far as I know, if you haven't yet been accepted on the 457, you should have no problems. As Teliko21 said, give DIMIA a quick call,tell them your situation, and they should be able to help.

Good luck
Ah, OK.
So if it's still in the processing stage I should be OK.
Great. I'll call DIMA nearer the time to make sure.
Thanks guys
Old Sep 7th 2006, 6:30 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, OK.
So if it's still in the processing stage I should be OK.
Great. I'll call DIMA nearer the time to make sure.
Thanks guys
How long before you want to travel ?

A 457 should only normally take about 4 weeks processing (gets priority)

Paul
Old Sep 7th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

How long before you want to travel ?

A 457 should only normally take about 4 weeks processing (gets priority)

Paul
Flights are booked for Nov 2. Application submitted by my sponsoring company this week.
I thought it would only be about four weeks, hence why I booked the flights, but they've since been advised by DIMIA/their agent (not sure which) that 457 times have been pushed out to 6-8 weeks and are only likely to increase
Given that Nov 3 is eight weeks away, I am needlessly to say a little concerned
Oh well, plenty of in the meantime to calm the nerves and I should be ok
Old Sep 7th 2006, 6:49 pm
Going for a ride

Flights are booked for Nov 2. Application submitted by my sponsoring company this week.
I thought it would only be about four weeks, hence why I booked the flights, but they've since been advised by DIMIA/their agent (not sure which) that 457 times have been pushed out to 6-8 weeks and are only likely to increase
Given that Nov 3 is eight weeks away, I am needlessly to say a little concerned
Oh well, plenty of in the meantime to calm the nerves and I should be ok
You should be Ok, but you never really know with DIMIA.

maybe the agent is just covering his back. I have filled in my forms this week, and they think it should only take about 4 weeks after it has been applied for digitally.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

You should be Ok, but you never really know with DIMIA.

maybe the agent is just covering his back. I have filled in my forms this week, and they think it should only take about 4 weeks after it has been applied for digitally.
Good luck! Nerve wracking isn't it?
Where you heading to?
Old Sep 7th 2006, 7:42 pm
Going for a ride

Good luck! Nerve wracking isn't it?
Where you heading to?
outskirts of melbourne.

Its not really been too nerve wracking because I have lived away from my family now for 20 years, and I feel that I am ready for the next move in my life.

It's just taking too bloody long in my case

where you guys heading ?
Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:01 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

If you get the tourist visa and enter the country - you are signing you are not intending to stay or going to work or look for work if it is your partner!

The other thing might be travelling on one way flight witha tourist visa - the company have the right not to fly you if they do not believe you are compliant with the terms of the visa you will be entering the country on. As they will bear the cost of flying you straight back.

There is a three month Business visa you may need to apply for not a tourist visa. You really need to discuss with DIMIA.

Cheers
Old Sep 8th 2006, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

i think that the most recent visa granted cancels all previous ones granted.
it's the issue of a visa that counts, not the application.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 4:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
i think that the most recent visa granted cancels all previous ones granted.
it's the issue of a visa that counts, not the application.
Correct in general (there are a few exceptions not generally relevant). With the added comment that since 1 July 2002, an ETA (or border visa) cannot take effect if another visa is held.