Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Touchdown in Brisbane!!!

Touchdown in Brisbane!!!

Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Touchdown in Brisbane!!!

We've landed (8 days ago now!) Flights good, got seats together so no traumas of my 5 year old being sat alone (but then we did arrive at airport 6 hours early and were the first at check in)! Despite initial reservations when we first arrived we're settling quickly, kids and hubby lovin it! First impressions for me wasn't good. We got off plane and were met with rubbish, graffiti (the usual airport stuff really) - no hypodermic needles though (at least paul and Anne-Marie pre-warned us). Got straight onto MICAT ferry complete with luggage to go across to villa on Moreton Island. Everyone so friendly and helpful, a couple who've we've since become friends with helped us stacks as we were tired and the kids fretful! Chilled out for 3 days on the island, went beach and bush driving, saw wild dolphins, turtles, pelicans, stacks of birds and had a wonderful time.

Moved into house in Victoria Point on the 1st. Lovely house set within a complex, which will do until we get our bearings. Area great for kids and central to everything, lots of shopping and some wonderful parklands with great views out to bays.

Still doing lots of touristy things as kids don't start school till the 4th Oct (and I don't start work till the end of the month). Took a 40min drive to the Gold Coast, although very touristy and built up the beaches are beautiful and shopping good. Spent a day at dreamworld and had a fab time! Kids loved it and were able to go on most of the rides (and yes, I chickened out of the Mega Drop and the Tower of Terror - I value my life). Went into the Big Brother house and set which felt really strange. Also spent some time stroking the wallaby's and cuddling koalas (not my usual thing, but kids loved it). Most of this week we're in the city sorting out my work etc (boring but has to be done!)

On the whole a positive experience so far. The house we organised prior to our arrival, plus we got furiture hire in which has helped so much (and is reasonably priced). It meant that when we opened the door, everything we needed was there (just had to dash out to Woolworths to get duvets etc) We still have a hire car but what a bargain! $23 a day complete with insurances etc Its also a lovely car!

Not missing family or the UK. Photo/video phones, the internet and cheap international calls mean you can stay in touch easily! Family back in UK say they miss us though but are happy that we're happy! Well better go, will keep in touch with you all via this. We also have a website that our kids have really done for their friends but it has some nice pics of our travels to date and my littlen's done a diary. www.ozzie-adventures.com We'll be updating it reguarly so check it out! Take care all and good luck to everyone coming over, its SO worth all that hassel and anticipation! Annie XXX
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: Touchdown in Brisbane!!!

glad to hear all's going so well. Moreton Island is great isn't it. We were there in May, and I was having a look at the photos last night. good luck with whatever comes next!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:52 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Glad everything is going well hope it continues to do so and you enjoy your new life.

Great website, really like it and a really good way of keeping in regular contact with friends and family. Keep up the good work and enjoy

Good Luck.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
We still have a hire car but what a bargain! $23 a day complete with insurances etc Its also a lovely car!
Who did you get the hire car with? We got a complete lemon for that price! :scared:

Theres been a few threads recently people asking for a good car rental company, all I could tell them was one to avoid, so please tell the good ones,

Cheers,
JTL
Old Sep 9th 2004, 10:06 am
togooff&things

Good to hear that all's well over there. Lordy - what a proffesional site! One of you in IT? Keep having fun! Colette x

Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We got off plane and were met with rubbish, graffiti (the usual airport stuff really)
Doesn't sound like the Brisbane airport we know?? Have to admit to being surprised...sure you aren't confusing it with LHR?!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Doesn't sound like the Brisbane airport we know?? Have to admit to being surprised...sure you aren't confusing it with LHR?!
Nope definately Brisbane (although LHR was worst!) ABC Diamond said the same about the litter prob, so he opened his eyes to the area and saw what I saw! Car rental is from Priority Car Rental, corner of Nudgee Rd, Hendra, Brisbane. I'm a nurse and hubby a copper, we learnt how to build web sites because we had to do it for the kids! Didn't take too long its just fiddly and time comsuming, but worth it as friends and family can keep up to date with our travels! Plus it only needs updating every so often. Hope thats answered everyones questions ! Will try and put some links on the website for the rental car, Moreton Island etc. Hope it helps X love Annie X
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Nope definately Brisbane (although LHR was worst!) ABC Diamond said the same about the litter prob, so he opened his eyes to the area and saw what I saw! Car rental is from Priority Car Rental, corner of Nudgee Rd, Hendra, Brisbane. I'm a nurse and hubby a copper, we learnt how to build web sites because we had to do it for the kids! Didn't take too long its just fiddly and time comsuming, but worth it as friends and family can keep up to date with our travels! Plus it only needs updating every so often. Hope thats answered everyones questions ! Will try and put some links on the website for the rental car, Moreton Island etc. Hope it helps X love Annie X
Evening all, quick update! We'll be updating website tonight and adding to it a load of links that have been so helpful (things like the car, furniture, appliance and house rentals, the links for places we recommend, cheap, second hand stuff, supermarkets etc) It should help all those on a budget, or those that need to save a few $ so they can get their dream home! I'll be busy tonight! XXX
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:18 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Evening all, quick update! We'll be updating website tonight and adding to it a load of links that have been so helpful (things like the car, furniture, appliance and house rentals, the links for places we recommend, cheap, second hand stuff, supermarkets etc) It should help all those on a budget, or those that need to save a few $ so they can get their dream home! I'll be busy tonight! XXX

Lookilg forwards to it Glitterbabe.

When I flew in to Brisbane about a month ago I found it to be Ok.
Took the train into town and found it refreshing to see a railway that wasn't built 100 years ago and then left to fall apart!

Hope it's going well.

Bye
Mark
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:23 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yup I to have never seen graffitti and rubbish at the airport!! Perhaps out side of the perimeter?

PJ
Old Sep 10th 2004, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Yup I to have never seen graffitti and rubbish at the airport!! Perhaps out side of the perimeter?

PJ
Hey we've just come from Colchester!!! Small world! It was outside the perimeter but was still there (on the way to the Fisherman Islands), and is still all around us! I really should work for the council! Have been in Brisbane all this week sorting out medicals for work and we love the actual city, just our scene. Its nice to know we're just a 40 min drive away (and it doesn't feel like 40mins either)! Such a change from the drive to London! Fearing the worst we left home 2 hours early 'just in case' it would be gridlock like the M25! Anyway back to the website!!! Thanks again Annie
Old Sep 13th 2004, 11:08 am

pom04 is an unknown quantity at this point

We've landed (8 days ago now!) Flights good, got seats together so no traumas of my 5 year old being sat alone (but then we did arrive at airport 6 hours early and were the first at check in)! Despite initial reservations when we first arrived we're settling quickly, kids and hubby lovin it! First impressions for me wasn't good. We got off plane and were met with rubbish, graffiti (the usual airport stuff really) - no hypodermic needles though (at least paul and Anne-Marie pre-warned us). Got straight onto MICAT ferry complete with luggage to go across to villa on Moreton Island. Everyone so friendly and helpful, a couple who've we've since become friends with helped us stacks as we were tired and the kids fretful! Chilled out for 3 days on the island, went beach and bush driving, saw wild dolphins, turtles, pelicans, stacks of birds and had a wonderful time.

Moved into house in Victoria Point on the 1st. Lovely house set within a complex, which will do until we get our bearings. Area great for kids and central to everything, lots of shopping and some wonderful parklands with great views out to bays.

Still doing lots of touristy things as kids don't start school till the 4th Oct (and I don't start work till the end of the month). Took a 40min drive to the Gold Coast, although very touristy and built up the beaches are beautiful and shopping good. Spent a day at dreamworld and had a fab time! Kids loved it and were able to go on most of the rides (and yes, I chickened out of the Mega Drop and the Tower of Terror - I value my life). Went into the Big Brother house and set which felt really strange. Also spent some time stroking the wallaby's and cuddling koalas (not my usual thing, but kids loved it). Most of this week we're in the city sorting out my work etc (boring but has to be done!)

On the whole a positive experience so far. The house we organised prior to our arrival, plus we got furiture hire in which has helped so much (and is reasonably priced). It meant that when we opened the door, everything we needed was there (just had to dash out to Woolworths to get duvets etc) We still have a hire car but what a bargain! $23 a day complete with insurances etc Its also a lovely car!

Not missing family or the UK. Photo/video phones, the internet and cheap international calls mean you can stay in touch easily! Family back in UK say they miss us though but are happy that we're happy! Well better go, will keep in touch with you all via this. We also have a website that our kids have really done for their friends but it has some nice pics of our travels to date and my littlen's done a diary. www.ozzie-adventures.com We'll be updating it reguarly so check it out! Take care all and good luck to everyone coming over, its SO worth all that hassel and anticipation! Annie XXX

Hi Annie

We arrived in oz almost a year ago and chose to settle in vicky point on day 3 - what a gem which we had missed on two previous look sees to brisbane!

If I can help in any way just let me know as I have probably been through most of the things you are about to embark upon - the good the bad and the ugly!

Seriously - moving here has been the bext thing we ever did - I only wish I had come sooner!! We left ALL our family, friends and good jobs behind in the uk to give this a go - many felt we were nuts but I know who has the better life now!!

We rented for about 4 months and then bought a house in March - I work as a Bank Manager on the gold coast and my husband works in brisbane with caravans and motorhomes.

Any help we can give at all then just let us know!!

Claire
Old Sep 13th 2004, 11:24 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

As cities go in Aus, Brisbane is pretty darn good. You must get to Fraser Island some time. It's fantastic!

Hope all your dreams come true in Aus. I'm jealous already!
Old Sep 13th 2004, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

SonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant futureSonjaNTony has a brilliant future

Hi me and my husband and five kids are hoping to move to Brisbane,i was wondering if anyone could recommend any areas to look at,we were originally going to Adelaide but have now decided on Brisbane so i would be grateful for any info about it.
Thanks
Sonja
Old Sep 13th 2004, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SonjaNTony
Hi me and my husband and five kids are hoping to move to Brisbane,i was wondering if anyone could recommend any areas to look at,we were originally going to Adelaide but have now decided on Brisbane so i would be grateful for any info about it.
Thanks
Sonja
Hi Claire, thanks so much will PM soon. All ok at the moment just sorting work this week for me, schools for the kids (Vicky Point SS) to start Oct 4th then a job for Mark (he's a Police Officer on a career break from the UK at the mo, so needs a different job, part time). We've already met up with some ex pats at Wynnum, had a nice picnic at the play area. A really great day. Many thanks and I'll PM my phone number to you! Annie XXX

Hi Sonja,

Only been here a few weeks but we've already seen areas we'd recommend for families. Eastern surburbs Wynnum, Manly, Lota, Wellington Point, Victoria Point & Cleveland all great for families. Stacks to do, easy access to everything (takes us 40 mins to drive into city, 40 mins Gold Coast, 60 mins Sunshine Coast). Nicely planned areas with loads of shopping facilities and lots of schools. On a personal level I don't like the inner city areas, Morningside, Belmont etc but thats just because I came from a small country village in the UK and I'm not use to it! Its so hard choosing an area when your so far away, I remember clinging to any kind of info I could get and spending hours on the internet! We went on lots of real estate websites and the local council sites. Look at local newspapers online to check out job jacancies, crime reports etc they give you a good idea of what a place is like! Hope this helps. ABC Diamond (Erik) is a fab source of information as he has lived around here for years. Hope this helps Annie XX