Touchdown

Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

cathjew will become famous soon enoughcathjew will become famous soon enough
Default Touchdown

My husband and I have just recieved our PR visas for Australia. We will be leaving the UK in April 07 but unfortunately we have to touchdown before Feb 07.
We cannot leave any earlier due to end of year bonuses, work commitments etc.

We have NO leave left for the year so we will be making a quick trip to Aus to touch down - it seems a waste of a flight, money and time - but unfortunately it has to be done !

I was just wondering if there were any restrictions/rules with regards to how long you must be in the country to activate your visa ?? Could we just fly in , have our passports stamped and turn around and fly out again ......or do we have to spend (for instance) 24hours in the country ??
Any feedback would be greatly aprreciated.
This is a great forum , and all my hundreds of other questions have already been answered by searching throuhg this forum. Thanks for some great, helpful info.
Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:53 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touchdown

Originally Posted by cathjew
My husband and I have just recieved our PR visas for Australia. We will be leaving the UK in April 07 but unfortunately we have to touchdown before Feb 07.

We have NO leave left for the year so we will be making a quick trip to Aus to touch down - it seems a waste of a flight, money and time - but unfortunately it has to be done !

I was just wondering if there were any restrictions/rules with regards to how long you must be in the country to activate your visa ?? Could we just fly in , have our passports stamped and turn around and fly out again ......or do we have to spend (for instance) 24hours in the country ??
This is a great forum , and all my hundreds of other questions have already been answered by searching throuhg this forum. Thanks for some great, helpful info.
Thanks
OMG, surely you're not seriously thinking of flying all that way and then coming straight back again!! Don't you get more annual leave after the new year which you could use?

Not that I would do this myself but could you just not come down with a flu or something around the time you need to validate (just don't tell ANYONE you're going)? That way, you couldn't go into work, so you might as well have a couple of days soaking up the aussie sun.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 12:55 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Are you not entitled to take unpaid leave?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

cathjew will become famous soon enoughcathjew will become famous soon enough

I know it seems a bit unreal ..... I could take some unpaid leave , or a couple of sick days to get a few more days over there. We have already spent 2 1/2 months in Australia so essentially we do not need to do another trip, but we have to due to the entry date on our visa. We are also taking a 3 week trip to South Africa ( so we will get some sun!).
Obviously before we book our flights we just wanted to know if anyone knew if there were any legal restrictions on touch down.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

There is no minimum time limit to stay , just get your passport stamped, and your visa is validated
Old Sep 11th 2006, 1:17 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I know it seems a bit unreal ..... I could take some unpaid leave , or a couple of sick days to get a few more days over there. We have already spent 2 1/2 months in Australia so essentially we do not need to do another trip, but we have to due to the entry date on our visa. We are also taking a 3 week trip to South Africa ( so we will get some sun!).
Obviously before we book our flights we just wanted to know if anyone knew if there were any legal restrictions on touch down.

I asked the same question to someone when i was origianlly applying for my PR. They told me. You can land, clear customs and then get on the next flight out of there is you wish. Just the fact you started your PR thats all that matters. I had to be in Oz by December 2003. I arrived start of November 2003. Spend a few days there then went to Nz and then another couple of days in Oz. I then left and havent been back since. Though i'm moving back in 4 weeks.