Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

T'other half has a telephone interview next week........any tips?

T'other half has a telephone interview next week........any tips?

Old May 12th 2007, 7:11 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default T'other half has a telephone interview next week........any tips?

The missus has a telephone interview booked with a department of QLD health next Tuesday. Whilst she is an all round good egg and bound to get the job anyway I wondered if you good people could offer any advice.

So far, she has researched so much, that there is practically nowt she doesnt know about the job! She plans to have lots of key points and things typed out in bold on the desk in front of her along with a copy of her CV, application etc.....

Can anyone give more specific advice on how these things are structured? So far, all we know is that they plan to fax over a sheet of questions 10 mins before IV starts.

Anyone had a phone interview specifically for a position with QLD health?

All replies greatly received - I need to help boost her confidence as she is a nervous wreck in anticipation of this. There is so much riding on her being successful and it would make our migration so much less stressful with at least one job secured.

Over to you
Old May 12th 2007, 7:21 am
leave the swelling!!

The Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really niceThe Pink Panther is just really nice
Default Re: T'other half has a telephone interview next week........any tips?

Fax over the questions? - we had our interviews with Queensland Ambulance and they too gave us the questions 10 mins before we went in.... very strange but well worth it!

Good Luck! - we will be in the same area!
Old May 12th 2007, 7:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
The missus has a telephone interview booked with a department of QLD health next Tuesday. Whilst she is an all round good egg and bound to get the job anyway I wondered if you good people could offer any advice.

So far, she has researched so much, that there is practically nowt she doesnt know about the job! She plans to have lots of key points and things typed out in bold on the desk in front of her along with a copy of her CV, application etc.....

Can anyone give more specific advice on how these things are structured? So far, all we know is that they plan to fax over a sheet of questions 10 mins before IV starts.

Anyone had a phone interview specifically for a position with QLD health?

All replies greatly received - I need to help boost her confidence as she is a nervous wreck in anticipation of this. There is so much riding on her being successful and it would make our migration so much less stressful with at least one job secured.

Over to you
The agency I work for is in the process of a big recruit for a federal gov't department and we've telephone interviewed over 300 people in the past 2 weeks and done over 150 face to face interviews in the past week. I can tell you the questions we ask in my sleep!

The advice I can give her is to speak clearly. Think about what she is going to say and say it in a professional, articulate way. Do not use slang, jargon or general terms. Don't use words like "yup", "yeah", "arvo", etc. Be specific. I know we asked a lot of behavioural type questions, such as "tell me about a time when you..." We're asking for specific answers, not general "oh yeah, that happens all the time" type stuff. If I ask her to tell me about a time that she had to make a personal sacrifice for the good of her team/workmates, I don't want to know that someone called in sick so she came in on a Saturday. Everyone who I asked this question to forgot to realise that I was working on a Saturday so I could interview them for the job! I want to know about a true personal sacrifice for the good of the team. As an example, one of our managers had a real personality conflict with one of the recruiters. As a way to keep harmony within the office he removed himself from the area where the other person worked and relocated his desk to another area of the office so they didn't have to be in close proximity. It was not an ideal situation, but it kept peace and therefore was a good move for everyone.
If she is asked why does she want to work for this department, DO NOT say because it's a government position!! Why specifically does she want to work the Qld Health? Is it because there is room for advancement? Because she has heard it is a good working environment? For educational opportunities? Don't forget to tell the interviewer what she can give back.
Another key peice of advice is for her to be herself. Just relax. The interviewer understands that she is going to be nervous but they want to get to hear the real Mrs. Fluffy.

I'm sure she's going to do just fine. Good luck, Mrs. Fluffy.
Old May 12th 2007, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by The Pink Panther
Fax over the questions? - we had our interviews with Queensland Ambulance and they too gave us the questions 10 mins before we went in.... very strange but well worth it!

Good Luck! - we will be in the same area!
Thanx guys!
Seems there's a few people on here working for QLD Health!
Old May 12th 2007, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The agency I work for is in the process of a big recruit for a federal gov't department and we've telephone interviewed over 300 people in the past 2 weeks and done over 150 face to face interviews in the past week. I can tell you the questions we ask in my sleep!

The advice I can give her is to speak clearly. Think about what she is going to say and say it in a professional, articulate way. Do not use slang, jargon or general terms. Don't use words like "yup", "yeah", "arvo", etc. Be specific. I know we asked a lot of behavioural type questions, such as "tell me about a time when you..." We're asking for specific answers, not general "oh yeah, that happens all the time" type stuff. If I ask her to tell me about a time that she had to make a personal sacrifice for the good of her team/workmates, I don't want to know that someone called in sick so she came in on a Saturday. Everyone who I asked this question to forgot to realise that I was working on a Saturday so I could interview them for the job! I want to know about a true personal sacrifice for the good of the team. As an example, one of our managers had a real personality conflict with one of the recruiters. As a way to keep harmony within the office he removed himself from the area where the other person worked and relocated his desk to another area of the office so they didn't have to be in close proximity. It was not an ideal situation, but it kept peace and therefore was a good move for everyone.
If she is asked why does she want to work for this department, DO NOT say because it's a government position!! Why specifically does she want to work the Qld Health? Is it because there is room for advancement? Because she has heard it is a good working environment? For educational opportunities? Don't forget to tell the interviewer what she can give back.
Another key peice of advice is for her to be herself. Just relax. The interviewer understands that she is going to be nervous but they want to get to hear the real Mrs. Fluffy.

Dorothy,

Thanx for taking the time to respond, some excellent advice there from the 'other side' - a huge help!
Old May 12th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Couple of years ago I had a telephone interview with a company in Dundee , all was going well until the cat decided to attack me, as you might guess I didnt get the job, the moral is make sure you are in a room alone without the possibility of distractions
Old May 12th 2007, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Fenton
Couple of years ago I had a telephone interview with a company in Dundee , all was going well until the cat decided to attack me, as you might guess I didnt get the job, the moral is make sure you are in a room alone without the possibility of distractions
Nice!

Mrs Fluffy has decided to get up early (the IV is 6.30 am UK time) and go into her office so that she can be alone and concentrate in an environment that lends itself to professionalism etc........

She's even decided to wear a suit n'all that, to get her in the mood for an IV!

Good on her I say, although it does conjure up a funny image - - all dressed up with nowhere to go!
Old May 12th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Good luck to her
Old May 12th 2007, 10:23 am
Just Joined

dave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant futuredave0706 has a brilliant future

Hi there,

I had my first telephone interview recently (got the job!). But I'm a 'normal' interview veteran.

Some general pointers:

- Make sure nobody else is around so you can speak clearly without fear of being overheard and possibly embarressed by dodgy answers...
-stand up, remember they can't see you. It sounds better.
-Get them to call on a landline rather than a mobile (clearer)
-Have your cv in front of you, use the fact they can't see what you are refering to to your advantage.
-As above, perhaps consider writing a list of things (key phrases/achievments/why you are so good) you would like to mention if the opportunity came up. It's fantastic that they can't see this. How many normal face to face interviews have you gone to wishing you could take notes to!!!
-Write answers to questions you think might come up, sod's law says they won't come up but the process gets you in the right frame of mind.
-Always have a good prepared answer to the time honoured "tell me about yourself question". I've never had an interview which didn't involve some variation of that question. It's a horrible question, but HR people like it because it acts as an ice breaker and an opener. There's no correct answer to this question. Make is shortish and concise, don't tell them your entire life story. Tell them briefly the sort of person you consider yourself to be, what you've come from, brief job and educational history, where you want to go and why. It should be about a minute and a half of answer, and consider finishing with "is there anything else you'd like to know about me?" That puts the ball firmly back in their court, and also acts as a get-out clause if you haven't given them the right info. Use that opening question as THE opportunity to 'sell' yourself. Most interviews are decided within the first few minutes. Have a good answer prepared to this question and you'll be laughing all the way to Oz.
-read the entire company website and have printouts of relevant pages (i.e. any visions and values pages - try to throw in key word from this)
-Don't be affraid of silences, the people doing the interview will have done lots, this won't phase them and it shows you are carefully considering your answers, not just regurgitating some pre-prepared speech.
-I know it's common sense but think about your answers. Ask to come back to a question later if your stuck. It shouldn't be a problem and they'll know your nervous. Even HR people have interviews and they get nervous...
-If you don't know the answer to a question, just say so. It's better than trying to blag and looking stupid. These people will (should) appreciate your honesty.
-Try to sound enthusiastic and keen - perhaps a bit obvious that one.
-Try to RELAX, I know it's easier said than done but it'll aid your confidence. You wouldn't have got to the interview stage if they weren't interested.
-If any off-topic small talk occurs, then enjoy it, don't be too anxious to get back to the (usually) difficult HR type questions. They will enjoy it too and it will put them at ease.
-They (the interviewers) are probably nearly as nervous as you. An interview is a social situation, and all social situations are unpredictable....Even experienced HR people get nervous doing interviews.
-When you sense the interview is coming to it's conclusion, ask if there is anything they would like you to clarify/elaborate on, or if they feel there are any weak areas of your application. This gives them the chance to bring up any doubts they have, and more importantly, for you to convince them their doubts are unfounded.
-Finally, very good luck to both of you...

Dave
Old May 12th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy

He he, I just had an interview this week with LOTS of "so tell me about the time....." I never bullsh**ted so much in my entire life!! For example, I had a question, tell me about the time when something didnt go according to plan, how did you rectify it? Of course, I am such a good worker things always go right the first time (honestly!) but they didnt want to hear that so I made up some story... Of course lots of these questions are designed to see how well you can think on your feet.
Old May 12th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

I had a face to face interview with QH in March they were both very nice people.
Cant give you much advice as its all been said but I do understand the pressure as I walked out the house to go for my interview my 14yr old daughter gave me a kiss told me she loved me then followed it with but dont come back if you dont get a job!!!!! I like to think she was only joking.
Old May 12th 2007, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a telephone interview for my nursing post .... the alarm didn't go off and I was woken up by the telephone... I took a few minutes to come to my senses, but that didn't appear to put them off, I got it.

Perhaps feeling all warm and cosy snuggled up in bed is the best approach to interview... it certainly beats stuffing myself into illfitting uncomfortable clothes and wearing a SKIRT

Hubby went and made me coffee and toast whilst I had a comfy, cosy chat with my future employer.... LAid back? I was literally horizontal... I will never again apply for a job where I have to a) get out of bed & b) wear clothes
Old May 12th 2007, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by eddie007
I had a telephone interview for my nursing post .... the alarm didn't go off and I was woken up by the telephone... I took a few minutes to come to my senses, but that didn't appear to put them off, I got it.

Perhaps feeling all warm and cosy snuggled up in bed is the best approach to interview... it certainly beats stuffing myself into illfitting uncomfortable clothes and wearing a SKIRT

Hubby went and made me coffee and toast whilst I had a comfy, cosy chat with my future employer.... LAid back? I was literally horizontal... I will never again apply for a job where I have to a) get out of bed & b) wear clothes
Loving that! You muppet!
Old May 12th 2007, 11:11 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

There are quite a few in the nurses forum who have had qld health interviews lately. I was interviewed by cairns base hospital in person but as they are part of qld health the interview process is probably similar....it was very simple scenario type questionsand only 3 or 4 of them.
Of all the people who've had interviews recently of know of no one who didn't get offered a job
Good luck
Old May 12th 2007, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Arrrh but being offered the job is often just the start of things... If they offer everyone they interview by telephone a job .... what percentage actually make it to employment, how many don't get a visa, give up, change their mind or even go and work else where... now those would be interesting figures to look at...

I reckon that being offered the job is the start and the actually selection process is a natural selection process (this is a darwinist approach to employment) ... only the best/fittest actually make it onto the wards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.