Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Totally sh***ig ourselves !!!

Totally sh***ig ourselves !!!

Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default Totally sh***ig ourselves !!!

Hi, looking for some reassurance here !

We've still got 11 weeks to go before we leave for Oz, but we've known since January that we'd be going. At the start it was all very exciting and we were counting the months til we arrived.........now that we're down to counting the weeks it's getting scarier by the minute and it's almost like we're starting to dread it. It's something we've wanted to do for years so there's no way we'd not go as we know we'd regret it, but things like organising our leaving party etc are just bringing it all home to us that we'll soon be TOTALLY on our own (just me and hubby). I've been with the same company for 16 years and although I need a change I'm going to miss people so much. And my parents are refusing to even talk about us leaving which doesn't help.

We just keep thinking what the f*** are we doing !

Did anyone else go through the 'dread' bit? I'm just worried it's going to stop us settling in when we get there.

Help !

Judy
Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

clairey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Totally sh***ig ourselves !!!

Hi Judy

I totally know how you feel! We've been planning this since April 2004 and it's taken me ages to feel positive about it all as my husband is the one who really wants to go.I am excited but pretty scared too.I have so many friends and am close to my parents.I just can't imagine what life will be like without them. We have two children which hopefully will make it easier to find new friends but it'll still be hard.
We've just sold the house so hopefully will be heading off to Melbourne in September,we haven't booked flights yet.Just sorting out the stuff we want to ship is a major stress.I keep telling myself it will all be worth it in the end and remembering the reasons we're going,besides the fact we can get a house with a pool - yeah!

Good luck!
Claire
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Judes2308

We've still got 11 weeks to go before we leave for Oz, but we've known since January that we'd be going. At the start it was all very exciting and we were counting the months til we arrived.........now that we're down to counting the weeks it's getting scarier by the minute and it's almost like we're starting to dread it. It's something we've wanted to do for years so there's no way we'd not go as we know we'd regret it, but things like organising our leaving party etc are just bringing it all home to us that we'll soon be TOTALLY on our own (just me and hubby). I've been with the same company for 16 years and although I need a change I'm going to miss people so much. And my parents are refusing to even talk about us leaving which doesn't help.

Did anyone else go through the 'dread' bit? I'm just worried it's going to stop us settling in when we get there.

Help !

Judy
HI JUDY
Know how you are feeling, we leave 4 weeks tomorrow and it gets worse. I have been fine up until 4 weeks ago and now it is just the most horrible feeling. You are desperate to get there but you dont want to leave everyone behind.
The emotions will probably get worse but i keep thinking new life, family will be out and so will close friends. And worse case senario you can always come home.
We have our party next week, looking forward to it but just hope i dont spend the night in tears, knowing me I probably will.
Anyway all the best
Carole
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

We too are thinking more about it as it will soon become a reality. Medical have been submitted, need to sell the house, and the visa will be ours, should arrive July 06.

I think what is needed is to imagine your lives in five years from now, sitting round the pool having a BBQ, settled into your new way of life. Im sure by then it will be comical that you were thinking the way you are now.

All the best with the move.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

ditto except the parents bit

I am so sorry your parents feel this way

we are so scared

husband has been in his job since he left school, no qualifications and thinks he will end up working in burger king (sub officer in the fire brigade now)

last week I helped interview my replacement at work, though I was ok but cried all the way home

Husband keeps asking if I have PMT (I don't usually get ratty but seem to be very irrational at the moment)

keep asking why we are putting ourselves through this when we will have less money than now, life is quite comfortable for us now we are late 30s

I could go on and on........

you are not alone, this is a very daring thing to do and we all need to be proud of ourselves

BIG HUG and a tissue
Tara
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Very normal emotions...

Everybody (100%) go through these feelings, even me with a heart like a swinging brick.

It's a mixture of nervous excitemnent ... the fear of the unknown ... but I'll tell you what:

I wouldn't swap it for a ******G gold pig !!!

Tres Legs

Help !

Judy
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Pinkfrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Totally sh***ig ourselves !!!

Hi

This is my first time on this site, but i just wanted to reply to this. me and my partner are due to leave for OZ (Melbourne) on the 7th Sept and i can't wait !!!

Like you, myself and my partner have known about our move since May this year and up until very recently i was very frightened and sometimes felt like laughing and saying only kidding, I'm not going really, hahahahahah

I have also been with my current employer for the last ten years and been surrounded with the same friends, forever. All I can say to you is YES your going, you will meet new people, you will make new friends.
As for the dread feeling ............. yep had that!! Have you made yourself sick yet ? I did, i was that worried, but like everything there is an end to it, you will resign yourself to the fact that your going !!!!
What is the worst that can happen,? You find yourself back in the UK.

I'm past the point of being afraid, i just want to go now, I'm sick of saying goodbye and getting upset !!!

(this must seem nasty but we have known about our move since may this year)

All i can say is you will get to the point that nothing will stop you and its like you get dragged along......
I just hope we can make it when we get to the other side! but what have you really got to loose ?
:scared: :scared:

Pinkfrog

Help !

Judy
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:55 pm
Geordie Pioneer

Location: Melbourne as of Aug 2005, formally Newcastle upon Tyne
Macky74 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pinkfrog
Hi

This is my first time on this site, but i just wanted to reply to this. me and my partner are due to leave for OZ (Melbourne) on the 7th Sept and i can't wait !!!

Like you, myself and my partner have known about our move since May this year and up until very recently i was very frightened and sometimes felt like laughing and saying only kidding, I'm not going really, hahahahahah

I have also been with my current employer for the last ten years and been surrounded with the same friends, forever. All I can say to you is YES your going, you will meet new people, you will make new friends.
As for the dread feeling ............. yep had that!! Have you made yourself sick yet ? I did, i was that worried, but like everything there is an end to it, you will resign yourself to the fact that your going !!!!
What is the worst that can happen,? You find yourself back in the UK.

I'm past the point of being afraid, i just want to go now, I'm sick of saying goodbye and getting upset !!!

(this must seem nasty but we have known about our move since may this year)

All i can say is you will get to the point that nothing will stop you and its like you get dragged along......
I just hope we can make it when we get to the other side! but what have you really got to loose ?
:scared: :scared:

Pinkfrog
My girlfriend and I arrive in Melbourne 25th Aug and I'd just like say I agree 100% with Pinkfrog's comments.

The waiting to get out their seems to last forever. I'm sick of talking about it to people, I just wanna be in Melbourne now actually doing it

Pinkfrog, where are looking to live in Melbourne? We quite fancy Albert Park, South Yarra, St Kilda Rd or St Kilda itself.

Cheers.
Andrew
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

jo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant futurejo_west has a brilliant future

Hi Judy,

We head for Brisbane on the 19th Sept and I am feeling a little stress. I have been in the same job for a long time, and today is my first day out of work, I am going to miss my work colleagues dreadfully, I do already.

But I remind myself why I am going, and to have no regrets. I think that it normal to have these feelings, But I am counting down the days, parties have started already and I am ready to go.

Goodluck with your new life, and I and sure your parents will come round to the idea, when my partner first told his parents they likewise had a big bustup, almost to the point of never talking again, and after time they are now closer and ever.

Jo

Help !

Judy
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

im feeling the same, have been so looking forward to getting visa's now we have them im almost dreading our house selling! its a very strange feeling of mixed emotions. iv been at my mums everyday this week and i feel so bad as my daughters face just lights up when we pull up outside and i know soon we wont be going to nana's house for a very long time. i feel guilty. the worst thing is when the house does sell were going to be staying at mums the last few weeks. its going to make it even harder to leave. i am excited and were still going its just a shame im almost dreading it.and worrying about everything. i keep telling myself to cheer up and think of the bigger picture but its so hard. i need a kick up the a*se!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:34 pm
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about

Help !

Judy
Judy,

It seems there are several of us at this stage at the moment. I started a thread last week . We have 3.5 weeks to go and last week my sister gave me grief about how she's going to cope with our 84 year old Mum.

I resigned work and finished just on Friday there, I'm feeling all at sea and a bit lost today.

House sold, girls have left school for the holiday's, cars sold and packers come in 3 weeks and now I'm thinking the same as you!

I have really good friends here, family and had a secure job that I'd held for 21 years.

Said goodbye to my mother-in law on Saturday. She was hardly speaking to us when we dropped her off for her flight home to Ireland.

BUT.......
We only get one life. This is a chance for a new and more than likely better life!
Worst case, give it 2 years and if it was not for you come home. Though I hope we will love it so much we won't consider it. The children will settle quickly and through them I'll start to meet other mums.

Where are you planning on settling?
Have you any friends or famliy out in Oz?

If I can do it anyone can! Yes I'm S**t scared, but what is almost more scary is what if we stopped the move and stayed here? We'd regret it in time and it may even niggle away at our marriage in the long term.
I'm just taking each day as it comes and thinking of all the positive thing we'll gain.

Good luck and keep your chin up!

If you are going to Perth let me know, we get there on 17.8.05 after a stop over in Dubai, which is for us to relax and draw a breath after our leaving here.

I'd be glad to be a listening ear and moral support.

Margie
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Pinkfrog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew
We are luckier than most people, we have friends of ours out there that landed in Melbourne at the beining of June this year (they are doing really well, which gives me some hope) so we will have somewhere to stay and a pick up from the airport.

we are looking to live around Mornington although i find it hard to say "i want to live here or there".

I will be glad to start me new life.

My name is Michaela.

Nice to talk to you

M

Originally Posted by Macky74
My girlfriend and I arrive in Melbourne 25th Aug and I'd just like say I agree 100% with Pinkfrog's comments.

The waiting to get out their seems to last forever. I'm sick of talking about it to people, I just wanna be in Melbourne now actually doing it

Pinkfrog, where are looking to live in Melbourne? We quite fancy Albert Park, South Yarra, St Kilda Rd or St Kilda itself.

Cheers.
Andrew
Old Jul 18th 2005, 3:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having one of those moments too. We had our leaving party on Saturday. Haven't sold the house yet or anywhere close but the party was planned and it was just tooooo depressing to cancel. Had a great time but since then have felt really yuk and vaguely down. Not depressed just yuk Hopefully once we sell, the party will be a good memory and we will just be grateful to move on.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

Hi Judy,
I'm so glad you wrote this thread, I was in tears yesterday I was feeling so scared, feel very confused. I really enjoy my life here and worry it'll all go pear-shaped, but if we don't try we will never know.
You are definitely not alone and I was very relieved to know that I wasn't too.
Keep your chin up, we have about the same amount of time as you, and it's petrifying.
Nicola
Old Jul 18th 2005, 8:10 pm
Merlot

I really felt for you reading this, we came back from Oz to UK last year. We told my family over here it was a temp thing, just in case it went belly up.

Needless to say we want to go back to Oz, next year if we have the £££.

Even now I feel sick to the pit of my stomach having to tell them then the count down to going. I just hope I am strong enough to get through that.

The otherside is if I stay, I know that I am short changing myself. I just am frightened I will feel the homesickness that I had over there, I know I won't be as bad this time as going over properly with proper goodbyes, but still it hurts already and I often have the flood of tears.

M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.