Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Totally O/T but have lost entire hard drive

Totally O/T but have lost entire hard drive

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Totally O/T but have lost entire hard drive

I've lost my entire hard drive.

Had started copying onto CD yesterday as we are getting a laptop in Oz, and the whole lot has gone. 6 years of stuff. Still my own fault, should have backed up. Just ironic that that was what I was trying to do!

Any ideas??

Mrs J.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:21 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Totally O/T but have lost entire hard drive

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I've lost my entire hard drive.

Had started copying onto CD yesterday as we are getting a laptop in Oz, and the whole lot has gone. 6 years of stuff. Still my own fault, should have backed up. Just ironic that that was what I was trying to do!

Any ideas??

Mrs J.
There are ways to get it all back, but generally expensive

If it is a consideration, check your local computer shop, before doing anything else to the Hard Drive.

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There are ways to get it all back, but generally expensive

If it is a consideration, check your local computer shop, before doing anything else to the Hard Drive.
Thanks for that - what a plonker.

Am just going through everything I can think of before resorting to computer shop.

Take care
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:40 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for that - what a plonker.

Am just going through everything I can think of before resorting to computer shop.

Take care
What did you do to wipe it ?

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What did you do to wipe it ?
I was just copying files over to CD, then left to take BIL to ariport. When I got back it was asking various questions and I just clicked 'yes' withouth thinking. Totally stupid. My Main PC man has just emigrated to Spain (silly man!!!!)
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:02 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't written to the drive then the data can still be recovered. I recently used EasyRecovery Professional to retrieve 20Gb of 'deleted' data off a client's drive, it's just crucial that you don't write to the drive at all as whilst your files names have been removed from the look-up table, they're still there.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
If you haven't written to the drive then the data can still be recovered. I recently used EasyRecovery Professional to retrieve 20Gb of 'deleted' data off a client's drive, it's just crucial that you don't write to the drive at all as whilst your files names have been removed from the look-up table, they're still there.
OK, that sounds good. Can I get it off the net?

Thanks so much
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:43 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

As ABC said - it all rather depends. What did you do to delete the files? What are the symptoms? - does the PC still boot up? is the hard disk still working for the operating system?

Also, what operating system? what file system? what size hard disk?

There are a number of things you can try, just be aware that for some of them it really helps if you know what you are doing.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Dagboy,
That's the problem, I don't know what I'm doing!
It could be any nunmber of things. I still have a C drive, and the files are on there, but it just sayd 'files have been moved/removed'
Will have to phone professional. Am maths/statistics person not computers..............
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

If you're a Windows user then Easy Recovery should be able to help - I do data recovery as a bit of sideline it has rarely let me down (then only because of physical drive damage).

Even if Windows will not boot, or EasyRecovery Pro has not been installed before your data loss disaster, EasyRecovery Pro can help you recover. Install the software on another computer and create an emergency boot disk, then use the advanced features of EasyRecovery Pro to recover your valuable files and data.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:28 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dagboy,
That's the problem, I don't know what I'm doing!
It could be any nunmber of things. I still have a C drive, and the files are on there, but it just sayd 'files have been moved/removed'
Will have to phone professional. Am maths/statistics person not computers..............
Sent you a PM