Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Totally green behind the lugs ! need advice on OZ

Totally green behind the lugs ! need advice on OZ

Old May 18th 2007, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

fountainpen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Totally green behind the lugs ! need advice on OZ

We have had the opportunity to move to Australia for a while , the offer is open.My hubby can transfer jobs to there in Sydney.
Anyway ive googled about to find out a few things but i think its best to hear from someone who lives there and is british to give me a few answers.
Basically what is the cost of living are food clothing and the likes more expensive?
Health care is it private or like the NHS here.
House prices- what could you buy for the equivalent £230,000 in Australia - im not talking about city centre are the housing prices infalted ( any property websites to give me an idea?). Council tax ? etc
Schooling system & colleges - what are they like , are the hours the same and education sylabuses in general.
Crime rate - (England has gone to the dogs in my opinion hence why im considering Australia)
Also what is the Income tax like.Eg we pay 40% is that system the same?

I have many more but wont bore you with them.
thanks if anyone can answer.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally green behind the lugs ! need advice on OZ

Originally Posted by fountainpen
We have had the opportunity to move to Australia for a while , the offer is open.My hubby can transfer jobs to there in Sydney.
Anyway ive googled about to find out a few things but i think its best to hear from someone who lives there and is british to give me a few answers.
Basically what is the cost of living are food clothing and the likes more expensive?
Health care is it private or like the NHS here.
House prices- what could you buy for the equivalent £230,000 in Australia - im not talking about city centre are the housing prices infalted ( any property websites to give me an idea?). Council tax ? etc
Schooling system & colleges - what are they like , are the hours the same and education sylabuses in general.
Crime rate - (England has gone to the dogs in my opinion hence why im considering Australia)
Also what is the Income tax like.Eg we pay 40% is that system the same?

I have many more but wont bore you with them.
thanks if anyone can answer.
Health care depends on your visa, if perm medicare covers a % of some things and hospital cover for emergency treatment and other things subject to sometimes long waiting lists. About 47% of aussies have private health cover, those on above average incomes might get higher tax penalty if they dont have it. Dentistry VVV expensive and you pay for most stuff for kids health too, prescriptions dentist glasses braces etc.

House prices not much in syd for that money, www.realestate.com.au

Education same as anywhere good school and bad, harder to find out where they are no UK style league tables. Privates can be cheaper if your talking religious schools which are often mostly state funded anyway, fancy private in sydney not cheap and waiting list was probably from birth or who you know.

Cost of living, much the same as UK, petrols one thing cheaper but distances are longer, food very expensive, most areas of aus similar to UK but do remember sydney has the most expensive part of OZ reputation.

Crime rate - pretty similar to UK some worse some better sydney's certainly not some crime free paradise by any stretch of the imigination.

Income tax, search on ATO income tax rates. Off top of head In the 75,000 - 150,000 bracket think its about 42 cents now plus medicare levy.

The search feature at top right is very good, stick in any subject and masses will come up.

Sydneys paper
http://www.smh.com.au/

Last edited by jad n rich; May 18th 2007 at 9:42 pm.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

fountainpen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Cheers i pay for dental care & prescriptions now .I will check out house prices.
My husband job will be bang in the centre of Sydney but i would rather live maybe 30 minutes commute distance.He drives 2 hours to two work everyday now so 1/2 hour wont be too bad.
The tax bit i will have to look into as obviously he will be paid the equvalent of what he gets in the UK in Australia's cost of living which is 40% tax bracket here .
Old May 19th 2007, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fountainpen
Hi
Cheers i pay for dental care & prescriptions now .I will check out house prices.
My husband job will be bang in the centre of Sydney but i would rather live maybe 30 minutes commute distance.He drives 2 hours to two work everyday now so 1/2 hour wont be too bad.
The tax bit i will have to look into as obviously he will be paid the equvalent of what he gets in the UK in Australia's cost of living which is 40% tax bracket here .
Works in the centre of Sydney & a 30 min commute?

By car, that would be a city block in peak hour

WW