Reload this Page >

Totally Confused! Help!

Totally Confused! Help!

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

jodydevos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Totally Confused! Help!

Really stuck in a rut here in the UK.

Between September 2008 and May 2009 I worked in Sydney on a WHV however had to return early due to family issues back here.

I am now 32 and really have spent the past 9 months desperately trying to find the best way I can get back to Oz to work as I have never felt to relaxed or comfortable in my life as I did while living there, and also made so many good friends, I just simply dont want to live anywhere else now!

I have no relatives in Australia that I can claim residency from or stay with.

I have no big degree or career, I have spent the past 12 years working in the travel industry.

I would consider moving to Australia on a student visa but dont think the maximum 20 hours work permitted per week would be sufficient enough to pay rent / living costs.

Really clutching at straws here!

Does anybody have any suggestions or thoughts?

I am going to Sydney on holiday at the beginning of February for 2 weeks. Would it be worth taking a few cv's and trying to get sponsorship? If that worked, how long would it take?

Seriously considering walking out on my UK job, staying on for an extra 2 and a half months in Oz with my 3 month ETA and not working but living on my last months wage from my UK job!

Desperation!!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Totally Confused! Help!

You are only 32. Why not train for something in UK and work toward a skill which might get you here? You could try to bring some CVs with you and try to find a sponsor, but unfortunately not all jobs qualify for a sponsored visa. I would think there are plenty of people already in Australia who are qualified to work in travel.

You do run the risk of immigration thinking you are not a genuine tourist if you bring a load of CVs on a 2 week holiday. While there is nothing wrong with looking for a job (which would also mean the company would need to sponsor you) on a holiday visa you would not be able to start work for them until a visa is granted for you, which could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

Take a read of www.immi.gov.au for whether you qualify for anything and if not then consider maybe retraining to work toward your goal. The unfortunate part is that not everyone qualifies for a visa to live in Australia.