British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tosser, Me? Well Thanks a lot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tosser-me-well-thanks-lot-236646/)

janeyray Jun 15th 2004 11:18 pm

Tosser, Me? Well Thanks a lot

Just been catching up on whats been happening since I've been off air and it seems I'am a tosser?:(

OH :(

Thanks a lot :(

Is this because our new life in Oz didn't work? Is this because 'my' adventure and the want for a better life didn't work out?

I thought I was just like you...wanting something more out of life and looking forward to starting a new life down under?

Just because it didn't work out for me and my family does it mean I'am a tosser? When I give examples of 'our' life in OZ and they don't come up to your expectaions does it make me a tosser?

It saddens me that people don't think we tried to make it work, do you think we went to all that trouble to move just to return 16 months later? We did try and it didn't work, in my opinion it wasn't for us. Everyone has their own opinions on how they will try and settle, one persons opionion is different from anothers.

I don't feel like a tosser because I have an opinion on how my experience in Australia has turned out, I just feel sad that most of the people on this forum travelling to OZ for a new life think I am?:(

biggy Jun 15th 2004 11:27 pm

Re: Tosser, Me? Well Thanks a lot

Originally posted by janeyray
Just been catching up on whats been happening since I've been off air and it seems I'am a tosser?:(

Is this because our new life in Oz didn't work? Is this because 'my' adventure and the want for a better life didn't work out?

I thought I was just like you...wanting something more out of life and looking forward to starting a new life down under?

Just because it didn't work out for me and my family does it mean I'am a tosser? When I give examples of 'our' life in OZ and they don't come up to your expectaions does it make me a tosser?

It saddens me that people don't think we tried to make it work, do you think we went to all that trouble to move just to return 16 months later? We did try and it didn't work, in my opinion it wasn't for us. Everyone has their own opinions on how they will try and settle, one persons opionion is different from anothers.

I don't feel like a tosser because I have an opinion on how my experience in Australia has turned out, I just feel sad that most of the people on this forum travelling to OZ for a new life think I am?:(
Some people just talk about going to Oz, you had the guts to do it :) The fact that it didnt work out for you and your family is a shame, but not the end of the world...........at least you can say I tried and it!!!!!! takes even more guts to come back to the UK, because there is always some smart arse who says....oh couldn't hack it then!!!!! Sod them ...hope all goes well for you back in the UK.

We are just starting the journey to Oz, we hope it will work out for us, but who knows what the future holds!!!!!!!!!!!

Live each day as if its your last and just enjoy!!!

young_lad Jun 15th 2004 11:27 pm

For what it's worth I don't think you're a tosser :)

It takes a lot out of us all to go through such an upheaval once let alone twice.

We may well go back to the UK after 2 years (2 years was our agreed 'give it a go' time).

If, after those 2 years are up, we decide Australia is not for us I only hope we've still got the strength/belief/means to be able to continue to be in charge of where we want to be, and to make that decision to move again.

There are examples on this forum of how bitterness through regret can twist people.

If I were you I'd be quiet unconcerned at being called a tosser on this forum safe in the knowledge you did what you thought was right.

Good luck back in the UK. :)

hevs Jun 15th 2004 11:28 pm

Glad you're home and happy jane.
As for people calling you a tosser, thats their problem not yours.
Enjoy your new life in the UK:)

PS for what its worth WBB went to far AGAIN and this time he's been banned :rolleyes:

creamT Jun 15th 2004 11:39 pm

I think you are very brave, you tried it, it wasn't right, so you go home. So what? At least you have done it, and experienced life away form UK, it's been an adventure and eye opener. This world is there to be explored, and you have, now it's time to return to the nest, you will always have this experience to look back on, fond times and bad ones, it's there for the taking.

Stuff em, if they wanna be so rude and vulgar, theyre only letting themselves down. No-one likes a person who can throw stones in that manner.

Wish I could have your bravery and conviction and go home too!

Well done on you.

:)

ABCDiamond Jun 15th 2004 11:46 pm

I don't feel like a tosser because I have an opinion on how my experience in Australia has turned out, I just feel sad that most of the people on this forum travelling to OZ for a new life think I am?
Janeyray
I think it is just a small minority that voted that way, definately NOT the Majority. And even then I feel that they may have been referring more specfically to those who have been posting "over the top" comments.

Originally posted by hevs
PS for what its worth WBB went to far AGAIN and this time he's been banned
He wasn't the only one banned either !

creamT Jun 15th 2004 11:48 pm

Soz to veer away from janeray,

but who else was banned? You referring to mickj! Lol!

Ceri Jun 16th 2004 1:20 am

Jayneyray, I honestly don't think most people here think your are a "tosser". This site has a few thousand members. It's the minority who have called you one.

As for you only stayed 16 months.. I don't think it matters, one year.. ten years, 20 years ( it does not matter) I could have honestly told you that Aus wasn't for me 12 months into arriving here. You had the courage to cut your losses and move on. There is nothing wrong with that - that takes courage.

If it wasn't for the job and certain responsibilities , I (we) would have got back on that plane years ago. As it is we are slowly working up to moving out of here. For a while now we've been setting the foundations to start up a company in the UK, which can't be done in two minutes. The money is good here with us, we own our own house outright, we own our own boat etc etc., we made most of our money in Singapore before we came to Aus with the company .. all looks perfect to an outsider "sun, house and beaches".. and all that rubbish - but there is more to life than money. What is important is where you feel the most happiness, whether it is in the UK, Aus or whatever country your heart is with.

cheers:)

DianeOZ Jun 16th 2004 1:30 am

I thought you need a bit down there to be a tosser and unless your middle name is Miriam then you couldn't possibly be :D :D

People on here can be very hurtful and rude but I think the majority of people on here think your posts have been honest, witty and a real eye opener. I mean tupperware will never be the same again will it??

Mark my words, when they are here they will remember some of your posts and start seeing the relevance of them.

You and your family are happy - thats the main thing.

:)

newkiwi Jun 16th 2004 3:45 am

I usually (always???) stay out of issues like this, but just to say chances are no-one who has actually moved will call anyone going back a "tosser". SO if someone not having made the move call you anyhting, why allow it to get your back up.

Im not from the uk originally, so whos to say what I would have done had I been. Sofar, Im very happy in NZ, but good on you for doing what you feel is best for yourself, rather that sitting round being bitter.

Nuff said..........................

Bed Of Roses Jun 16th 2004 5:30 am

My two Penny Yea yoour not a tosser!
It didn’t work for U.............. S**t happens:(

but from a selfish point of view its soooo nice to get both sides of the coin and peoples real life experiences for all us wannabies.

So enjoy ya life in the UK ............and hey its been glorious the last few days.

Thanks again for being extremely honest and Brave to share with us all, i know i will be doon da search ting later;)

Good luck in Dottingham.

wmoore Jun 16th 2004 6:08 am

Like the others said, don't worry about a very small minority. Most wannabe's will have taken something useful from your posts on here, even the ones that the Rose Tints would say were negative:D
Keep your pecker up. Oh no, wait a minute .......:D

Phoenixuk2oz Jun 16th 2004 6:20 am

Hi Janeyray:)

I understand why you would be upset by these comments. They must be very hurtful.

I personally can't see why it matters if you went to Oz and came back or stayed. The fact you tried is admirable in itself ;)

As for being called a "tosser". As some have said before.......you are generalising if you think that includes all of us on this forum.

I started to read that particular inflamatory thread and actually stopped reading once I realised what it was about. I personally can't be ars*d to get involved in the "Oz is better than UK " or "UK is better than Oz" brigade. It's all down to individual taste and what's one man's meat....... is anothers poison.....

Actually, to me, it's more important that I respect peoples personal opinions than force my own opinions down their throats.

So...........count me out of the stupid arguments and count me into the "mutual respect" brigade.....and as such, I [and many others] do not think you are a tosser.

You are a lady who tried Oz and moved back to UK cos it wasn't for you. End of story.

I for one wish you and your family the very best in your return to UK. I think I talk for most people on here when I say this ;)

All the very best Janey.........keep on smiling.............keep on doing the right thing for you and your family.......... and sod any silly, childish name calling. It really isn't worth a minutes worth of your thinking time ;)

Don Jun 16th 2004 6:25 am

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I started to read that particular inflamatory thread and actually stopped reading once I realised what it was about.
Ditto. Probably a lot of us just couldn't be bothered to vote, maybe we should to even up the score?

Nothing shameful about trying life in another country and deciding it's not for you, at this time.

Bordy Jun 16th 2004 6:27 am

Just adding my little bit & agreeing with the Majority & NOT the 17 people or whatever that voted for tossers.
I'd love to see if they were brave enough to do what you did Jane.
Of course your no tosser, far from it. Enjoy your new life back in old Blighty & keep posting, those 17 people might not like it but the other 5000 of us enjoy reading your posts.